Want to quit Bible study

by confusedstudent 89 Replies latest jw friends

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

lets get a couple of things straight, they are not teachers, they are recruiters and canvassers for a dangerous mind controlling cult,if you want to be taught about the Bible or learn theology etc enroll on an Open University course or take some on line study, they are not teachers, they are bombarding you with a cult like recruitment process which is like a 12 step programme, using only their own unique set of printed matter, and a mistranslation of their ridiculous Bible in which is seldom used .

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

As you start making progress *away* from this cult, a good early step is to return to talking normally and stop using their language. The women you speak about, for instance, are not "sisters" to anyone not in their cult. They are just women or ladies like you and everyone else in the world. That is just one example. When you stop using the cult lingo it becomes much easier to break away.

• yknot
    yknot

Confused Student!!!!

I am an 'active' poster (born-in) and I would be more than happy to talk to you honestly about our ways and what is going on......even those 'creepy' things......

You really aren't ready to become an 'unbaptized publisher'........ our religion has many many many many many official rules and 'unofficial' rules that are expected but not implied in writing.... I am near a military base too!

In addition the Sister you are studying with has her own personality!

It is OKAY to want to quit......

Lets find out how far you have really progressed so that a better gauge can be discerned!!! (and it will take some pressure off you!)!

Question: Can you tell me what our 'Truth' is (hint it is our 'Kingdom Message')

..... I am sure most posters here will vouch for my sincerity and ardent belief in everyone 'making sure all things' !!!

Huggles

(we can talk on this thread or via 'private message' (PM) by using the little enevelop in the right hand corner of your screen, next to your username!!!)

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Living on base and using the provided services (commissary, PX, banks) are allowed by the Watchtower Society since you are a military dependant. This applies to all baptized sisters/children who are active publishers and are married/progeny to active duty military personnel. The only exemption is if the job is private baby sitting or private house cleaning. This is considered a private endeavor and isn't within the demographics of working for any entity that exists on base solely for the purpose of supporting the military.

You are studying with a Japanese sister in an English congregation, right?

Active sisters who are military wives may encourage you to get a job on base, but they do not know the reprecussions. However, do this. Ask any elder in your congregation about this and they will site the neutrality issue and will apply restrictions on anyone who isn't baptized (you) and will give an ultimatum to those who already are baptized. The time frame is six months for any baptized Jehovah's Witness to quit working on base if they wish to remain a Jehovah's Witness.

I know. I'm madly familiar with English congregations in Japan.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• blondie
    blondie

There is no totally painless way to quit. jws are taught not to socialize with non-jws and to do so only in a limited way with people who are studying and "progressing." As soon as you stop studying, going to meetings and conventions, their social contact with you will almost evaporate and contact will consist of visits to try and "reactivate" your study.

If you aren't "progressing" they are counseled to cancel the study and go on and spend time trying to convert other people.

I personally would keep any explanation to a minimum. It is hard for people who have been jws for 20 or more years to convince jws of the error of their teachings let alone a newer person. Any doubt you bring up with motivate them to convince you even more that they are right which leads to your thinking you have to prove that your belief is right.

The important thing is what you believe, what you have examined and what you have concluded you believe. jws believe if you aren't a baptized jw, you will die at armaggeddon. So they may have a good motive but are mislead.

A good general site for the blood issue is www.ajwrb.org

Blondie

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

James_Woods said "The job has nothing really to do with this"

He is right.

However, I just thought that using this angle would be a nice easy "out" for you as you will be considered an "unprogressive Bible study". It will make it obvious to your study conductor or elder body in your congregation that you have your own agenda and there isn't anything that they can do about it.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• confusedstudent
    confusedstudent

I DID IT! I emailed my teacher and told her I wished to discontinue my studies. I simply told her I do not wish to become an unbaptized publisher or get baptized. I said I respect her too much to waste her time since I do not plan on progressing. She emailed me back and said I must be going through some tough times and gave me scriptures to read but that she hopes to hear from me and see me again soon. She did say however I would never be successful or find happiness in marriage or in life with Jehovah. My bible teacher from the states wrote me THE LONGEST email ever with tons of watchtower quotes, etc... about how Satan is leading me astray, etc... And I do feel bad. But mostly for accepting a study in the beginning. I do feel like I wasted their time, but in my own defense I was never told at the beginning of the study that the goal was to get me to be a baptized witness. They just said they wanted to discuss the bible with me. So I feel like I was misled also. I am glad I did this now instead of waiting until after I became an unbaptized publisher and trying to "fade". The guilt trips seem endless though but I will probably just delete their emails before reading them and I do have caller ID. My husband is proud of me though, and I am proud of myself. I am such a mild mannered soft-spoken person I rarely speak out or stick up for myself. I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!!!

• yknot
    yknot

Sweety.... dont feel bad...... they were benefitting from you being 'time'

• journey-on
    journey-on
    I do feel like I wasted their time,
    Trust me. You did not waste their "time". They got to count every minute of it on their monthly report. Even the lengthy emails they wrote were probably counted as "time".
  • dgp
    dgp

Bookmarked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit