Want to quit Bible study

by confusedstudent 89 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

One of the things we've all had to do in this life is.... Grow A Backbone.

What this means is, this is YOUR life. No one can tell you how to live it because if you let them, you will never be happy. Health flows from this. If you are unhappy, you will be unhealthy.

Stand up for yourself. If you don't want this, say so. If they push, get pissed off and play the 'authorities card'.

If you want to be nice about it all, they'll keep hounding you until you take some kind of action to stop it. This is what they are trained to do. They'll be b-a-a-a-a-a-ck.

Cut it off now. For me, the easiest way to do this was to move away and become unavailable due to a very busy life.

Get Busy Living! Good luck.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello there confusedstudent,

that friendship is very conditional , I was never

baptised as a JW but whenever there was someone

in need, I assisted in any way I could, one particular

sister thought I was a welfare agency, and trust

I'm just gettin' by myself. Today if I see her in a store

I have to be the first one to speak, because if you don't

choose them, you have chosen satan

• confusedstudent
    confusedstudent

Thank you all so much for your posts. I HIGHLY doubt I am going to change the minds of the women I study with. One is married to a Deacon and the other is married to one of the ANNOINTED. I just have to be honest with them. I am going to call tomorrow and tell my Bible teacher from the states (the one I am cloer to) how I feel. That I have too many doubts and consider baptism to be a big step, and the ministry and am not ready and never see myself being ready so I am discontinuing my studies. I am going to thank her for everything she has done though and tell her I still would like to be friends. Then the ball is in her court if she still wants to have contact with me. For the lady who is currently doing my study (wife of the annointed) I am just going to email her. I like her a lot also but am not as close to her and she is so stubborn! I feel like I can't even ask a question in my study with her. My last study I was telling her how I feel closest to Jehovah in prayer. She then cautioned me that I am not relying on The Governing Body enough. She said Jehovah is our father but the Organization is our mother and I need to go through my "mother" to get to my father. How weird! I feel like just a simple email will be best with her. "Please cancel my interview with the Elders. After careful consideration, research, and prayer I have decided not to pursue my studies or being an unbaptized publisher". I will express how even though I am grateful for everything I have learned it is just simply not the religion for me. My husband is home from work tomorrow so it will be nice to have him around because I am sure I will cry a lot. But I will feel SO much better afterwards. I respect these women far too much to lead them on, even though I feel like fading away would be easier. But I have tried that at different points in my study and it just does NOT work. I really do need a clean break. I've talked to my husband and he is so helpful. I'm glad I have him here. I will let everyone know how it goes.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The Sisters I have studied with have become what I thought to be very good friends of mine. And I can say now in retrospect I relied too much on them emotionally. I am sure about what I have to do, I can not become a witness. I guess what I am really asking for is a way to get out of this gracefully and without hurting feelings.

Trust all of us on this - you are far more concerned about their feelings than they are about your feelings.

• wasblind
    wasblind

" My last study I was telling her how I feel closest to Jehovah in prayer. She then cautioned me that I am not relying on The Governing Body enough. She said Jehovah is our father but the Organization is our mother and I need to go through my "mother" to get to my father. "

John 14:6 " I am the way and the truth and the life, no one comes to the father except through me."

Confusedstudent, you had every right to feel as weirded out by that sisters statement. We all know that scripture

is talkin' about Jesus, and Jesus only, not the Governing Body. This religion has pushed Jesus aside, that sisters

statement clearly shows that

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

She must be getting on in years. That 'Mother' doctrine was a Bro. Knorr one decades ago.

I wouldn't study anything with anyone who didn't answer questions. Get a critical thinking book out of the library and you will see what I mean.

One thing you must be clear on is the Watchtower's primary doctrine. Don't let JWs fool you into thinking something else is the primary doctrine, because it is probably dependant in some way on this one.

The watchtower claims to have been selected by Jesus in 1919 to be God's sole channel of communication in our day.

Is it true?

If part of it is false, can it still be true?

If it is true what should you do?

If it is false what should you do?

Take care

Chris

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

James Woods nailed it. They don't value your friendship in the same way you value theirs. The ultimate prize for every JW is a bible study. The only thing better is a bible study that eventually becomes a JW. That is what you are to them- a trophy, so to speak.

• Ding
    Ding

Don't buy a car you don't want just so you don't hurt the feelings of a saleman who has been nice to you..

Likewise, don't join a religion you don't believe in just so you don't hurt the feelings of a JW who is trying to bring you in.

Tell her, "I really appreciate what you're done for me, but I have concluded that this religion isn't for me so I've decided to stop the study."

Then said firm.

Remember Nancy Reagan's slogan: "Just say no."

And mean it.

A true friend would respect your final decision just as you would respect hers.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

confusedstudent

This weekend (April 23rd and 24th) is the English Circuit Assembly at Ebina Assembly hall at the Branch for all the English congregations in Japan. From the sound of your posts, you are probably NOT going to attend. Does your conductor know about this already? If so, what was her reaction? Most likely she will be there and would have pressured encouraged you to be there also.

Also, the part about you working full-time. Will that be on base or off base. You cannot be an unbaptized publisher if you work on a military base. Maybe that will get you off the hook. Does your conductor know about your intent in this regard?

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Some battles aren't even worth fighting.

Just quit the study and move on, IMO. They are going to move on from you in the blink of an eye. Don't shed a tear for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit