Want to quit Bible study

by confusedstudent 89 Replies latest jw friends

• tiotuerto
    tiotuerto

Hello, Confusedstudent. Take heart, my experience with JWs parallels yours to a great degree and I am also considering breaking away. I have to admit that I did learn some valid truths studying with them however I have been stumbled by remaining questions which they cant or wont answer or try to pass off an unsatisfactory answer. Since joining this forum, I am amazed at the number and intensity of disillusioned Bible students. However my experience diverges from yours in this respect; Rather than seek to continue teaching me their doctrine they have seemingly shunned me and have made it apparent that they find me unacceptable to the congregation. (beard, lifestyle etc.) Regardless of all that I have ,over the last couple of years, with the direct intervention of God, been able to shed some serious lifelong issues, among these smoking. I do not accredit these changes to JWs but they have kept me focused on massive self improvement and have helped me to accept the truth about life and death and consequences. I, too, will miss some very good friends. Take heart and keep posting.

tiotuerto

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

Step away for a month. No meetings or studies and no 'spiritual' conversations with the JWs. Now that your hubby is back, you will truly see if that hole that the JWs filled still exists. Also, you will truly see if you miss the religion, instead of the 'friends.' If you are supposed to be a witness, a month away won't change that.

• yknot
    yknot

Awww sweety.....

You don't need to change emails or phone number you just need to learn how to block them.....

If you are unwilling to do this please consider sharing some of what you have learned on this board......they will stop emailing and calling pretty quickly or you will end up helping to nudge them into consciousness.

At the end of the day I am happy for you but these Sisters are still my Sisters and are just presently captives of the myth and lie of the WTS....

I agree that something was missing from your life that allowed an opening for the WTS to fill a need......so please consider becoming more active within the base community or groups outside of the base that are beneficial to society at large. Volunteering, returning to school, a parttime job etc!!!!!!

• Was New Boy
    Was New Boy

Tell them the truth about the truth!

You said that...... "the truth". The "truth" is RUINING my marriage.

So tell them your husband said "it's him or the JWs" .....and you have choosen him....which is really "the truth"....isn't it?

You know they would have no problem ruining your marriage if they could get one convert.

• mamalove
    mamalove

I think you got loads of good advice. Just a few personal observations in my born in life that I escaped out of over 2 years ago....I have seen NUMEROUS instances of sisters having bible studies with people in the territory, and becoming "friends." Once they are fully anchored in the congregation, ya know their kids in the ministry school, going out door to door, baptized, suddenly, these new ones are no longer nurtured and they begin to feel the effect of cliques, etc. Countless new sisters have left because the friends they thought they made, were just a temporary illusion.

You already know what you need to do....just figure out a good way to do it and remember that you owe NOTHING to these people. Your family comes first.

If it were me, I would call them to your house, be confident, happy, cordial, DO NOT ACT sad or guilty, and just tell them that you have appreciated their time, and hope you can remain friends (wink) and that you have decided to stop studying and do not wish to become a JW. What reason...simply that it is not the "truth." If they want reasons, just say that your mind is completely made up and you do not wish to discuss it.

Your friends will be strangers after that, sadly...I have never seen a worldy person remain friends with a JW if they gave up their study.

• confusedstudent
    confusedstudent

Luckily I start a full time job working on base next week. And I have been volunteering with the American Red Cross to help with relief operations for the Tsunami. The JWs told me this wasn't a good idea though because it was too worldly (plus the Red Cross does blood drives). That was another thing that made me realize this was a false religion. I just couldn't rationalize in my mind how making care baskets and doing fundraisers for children without homes in northeast Japan was a bad thing! My husband is so happy, he actually proposed to me all over again yesterday. It was adorable. I marked all of the JW people who have been emailing me as spam. And now I no longer see those messages. I tried to explain as nicely as a could but if all I am going to be getting is guilt trips 24/7 I don't want to talk to them. It's sad I remember when my "teacher" told me she "loved me for who I am" one time. That was obviously a lie, if who I am is not someone who wants to be a Jehovah's Witness I am influenced by Satan. It is just hard to realize I wasn't really ever a real friend of theirs anyway. I am looking forward to making more friends on base though. I will be okay. I have so much admiration for everyone who was born-in and all their families are Witnesses. I could not imagine the strength it would take to get out of that!

• confusedstudent
    confusedstudent

On to get on base in a foreign country I have to actually walk down to the gate, take them to the pass office. They have to show their IDs, passports, drivers license, other documents. Get a picture taken. I have to sign like 4 papers. And then they have to have their car searched. And someone has to sponsor them for their day pass (meaning if they do anything out of line then I am responsible). It's much different than getting on a base in America! I just have to show my ID there! The JW I was studying with here only came on base once and I think was freaked out because we had always met at Starbucks after that. It was too much hassle for me to get her on base even when I wanted her here! So I am not worried about them showing up at my door. Even if another person let them on base if they showed up at my door they would be banned permanently, preaching is not allowed here in any form.

• Heaven
    Heaven

^ Sounds like a good plan. Can you arrange to have them cavity searched too?

• godrulz
    godrulz

God is trying to draw you to Himself through a relationship with the true Jesus. Satan is trying to trap and deceive you into a false cult. It will be the biggest mistake of your life if you don't quit studying and tell them to leave you alone except as friends. Unless you look at both sides of the issue (there is a wealth of material to prove that the WT/JW thing is a false religion started by Russell comparatively recently (like Mormons, Scientology, Moonies, Christian Science, Armstongism, etc.). There must be Evangelical churches near you that will be Bible-based and Christ-centered. Seek them out for spiritual answers, not a known cult that ruins lives. Stop studying now and start studying sources that expose the false teachings of this manmade organization. Read a credible Bible (not NWT) prayerfully. Don't be guilted, manipulated, indoctrinated by sincerely wrong people who are controlled like robots.

• sherah
    sherah

Bravo to you confusedstudent, it's not easy to counter the manipulation of JW's but you did it. Stay strong in your resolve, welcome to the board.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit