Are You Raising An Introvert?

by darth frosty 172 Replies latest jw friends

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Watersprout-Do any other introverts find that when you are entertaining or are with others, the exhaustion hit's suddenly and you just need to get out immediately?? I tend to find i feel ill [nausea, stomach pain, trembling, headaches, urge to run away].

I think you meant introvert another excellent comment from the original post:

When I was in my teens I had this mentality.

The problem was that the wrong leaders would lead the herd in the crazy directions.

From that time I understood that as an introvert you have 2 choices:
    1. Go with the herd while suffering mentally in silence
    2. Step up and lead the herd

I chose 2.

The trick is as a leader to facilitate the discussion, acknowledge ideas and then drop your insight last and make it seem like it is the team's idea.

I'm an executive in a tech company now so that shit works.

The key is timing, timing your contribution but in a way that does not intimidate the team.

I still struggle with that though to the point that my bosses are sometimes a bit hesitant to approach me. I try to engage in that small talk first to diffuse their anxiety so that small talk shit does come in handy.

Nuther good one:

I also think people that don't run their mouths 24x7 tend to really appreciate a good conversation when they are engaged in one. You get a group of introverted cats in a room speaking on a common subject they all have an interest in and that shit can go on for hours without a break and other cats will just spectate the conversation like a sporting event. Used to call it "building" back in the day, but it doesn't require as much weed and beer as a "building" session did.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

What I meant to post for watersprouts question:

I'm real big on symbiotic vs. parasitic relationships, you surround yourself with too many people and it is almost impossible to control that sort of thing (and you get a parasitic person on you and they will make you feel literally physically tired). I think that is why introverts feel drained in social settings, a room full of parasites and everybody leaves full, but if you are not the type of cat that feeds on others energy or even requires that and you are in a room full of feeders, you become food.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Yep, I have most of these tendencies. My daughter 18 an absolute extrovert (don't get much more extrovert than her), My eldest son 15 quite a bit like me. The other only 3, he's kind of a mixed bag of tricks.

Maybe thats why so many of us like it here. Would be interesting to see how many people on this forum consider themselves extroverts.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

For some reason, some people tend to think that being introverted is something you need to overcome.

I have a friend who is introverted and her extrovert husband is constant trying to fix her by pushing her into friendships and dragging her to social events. He thinks she just needs to relax and suddenly she will start having fun among hoardes of people like he does.

• Black Man
    Black Man

this goes up!

• garyneal
    garyneal

yeah, introvert here too

• darth frosty
  • mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Great bump.

How did I miss this the first time?

• Chemical Emotions