Are You Raising An Introvert?

by darth frosty 172 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm an introvert, so is my little JW daughter.

Syl

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Guess what I do for vacations? I stay home. I hang out with my bird, work around the house, try new recipes, etc. Anything but go out in public. I don't need to go away to enjoy a vacation. I just need to stay away from people.

W

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Another introvert here.

• watersprout
    watersprout

I'm an Introvert and so is Babysprout... Two fabulous books i found that helped me so much are by Elaine N. Aron. ''The highly sensitive person'' and ''The highly sensitive child''. I followed the guidlines in ''The highly sensitive child'' and now Babysprout is very settled and content... She still gets overwhelmed and exhausted very easily, but all my family know how to deal with her and settle her down. If a situation arises and it's too much for her to handle she's sent to a quiet place to recharge. The book also tells you the signs to look for before a ''melt down'' ensues.

Were throwing Babysprout an easter egg hunt tomorrow and fingers crossed we both handle it! Lol.

I will be hiding under the kitchen table with ear plugs!

Do any other extroverts find that when you are entertaining or are with others, the exhaustion hit's suddenly and you just need to get out immediately?? I tend to find i feel ill [nausea, stomach pain, trembling, headaches, urge to run away].

Peace

• new light
    new light

Great article, Darth. It is good to know that some of the most respected people in society are/were introverts.

The world at large tends to categorize us as shy or anti social, as if our nature is somehow inferior or anger-based. Nothing could be further from the truth, at least in my case.

It's just that I am my own best friend. I generally love people and am 100% engaged and fascinated when in their company, but I need to be alone after a while to recenter.

Walter nailed it when he said he spends vacations at home alone. My ideal vacation, although outdoors, would be spent alone. The idea of spending a week or two with anyone other than my wife is a nightmare. The first few days are OK, but after that I get super tired of people, to the point that I fantasize about running away and never coming back.

My dream is to be an author whose work involves obscene amounts of solitude.

I fantasize about loading a backpack and walking to the west coast of America.

Frequently, I "forget" to take along my cell phone (oh, the horrors!!)

I find the idea of sharing all the minutia of daily life (or even the bigger stuff) online absolutely repugnant.

You get the idea. Introversion can lead to a great amount of inner strength when it is seen without judgement. Strand your average extrovert in the wilds (you know...disable their internet connection :)) and he will wither and curl into a sobbing ball of self-pity after a while.

Put an introvert on a desert island with survival necessities and when the rescue ship comes he will be thinking "Oh, really, so soon? I was just starting to unwind. Could you circle around, do what you have to do, and come back in a few weeks? And, yeah, be a dear and leave me a bottle of sunscreen. And some rum."

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

I am an introvert too. People who see me at work or social gatherings have a very hard time believing this. I just try to explain that I need a whole lot of time alone to be that happy to be around other people. I do find, however, that animals (cats especially) are energizing rather than draining. Small children are the worst. They can wipe me out in 5 minutes flat.

The highest compliment I've ever paid my husband was to tell him that being around him was almost as good as being by myself. ;)

I want the t-shirt that said, "You read my t-shirt. That's enough interaction for today" LOL

I once worked for a rabbi who had 13 kids (they have more now). One of the younger girls got forgotten in the synagogue one day (she was around 7-8 years old). I was in the office and heard her wailing. She FREAKED. I mean I thought she was going to have a heart attack or stroke. She'd never been alone before. Like, in her LIFE. She'd always had at least one of her sisters around (and often many more people). And since I was not family nor Jewish, I was no help consoling her. She did come sit outside my office so at least she wasn't Completely Alone...but it was clearly a horrifically traumatic event for her. I had to call her dad to come back and get her.

I was an only child til I was 7 1/2...and then there's just my brother. I can't imagine...

• TheJigsUp
    TheJigsUp

this is also very much like aspergers

or so it sounds.

its apparently rare for females to be diagnosed with aspergers because women deal with it differently

and its a difficult thing to diagnose in itself.

there are certain criteria you have to meet to be an aspie,

but its a much wider spread thing than is recognised as it so often goes unnoticed.

it also comes with heightened senses in this and that, but not always.

like a more settled kind of savant.

but still with unnoticed but massive disabilities socially.

such as alsmost self damaging honesty

irrespective of others feelings.

its a massive spectrum, but well worth looking into as it is often hereditary.

and intelligent parents apparently often spawn children with the spectrum disorder that is aspergers.

i personally believe it is not a disability as such..

it is only a disability in perspective of the social arrangements that we live in.

and then because of social perception and social 'courtesy' if you will.

it becomes a massive disability. as it is mostly unrecognised

and misunderstood.

yep... im an aspie..

not every aspie is the same as one an other.

in places i exceed i also fall miserably in other places to seemingly counteract the balance of 'one'

it doesnt always work out that an aspie or an autistic individual is exceptional.

and i am testament to that. but i also suspect that it is a 'gift'

of sorts misunderstood by our community as a whole.

so if you find your child is an 'introvert'

check for aspergers or anything on the autism spectrum.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Those points fit me quite well. I remember times when I'd be upset with something, and people would always come around to try and make me feel better...well...the one thing that always works is when someone else GOES AWAY for awhile while I deal with things. There are certain times when I just really don't like to be pestered.

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

I got interested in temperment types over 20 years ago while still in college. Taking both the MBTI and the Keisey Temperment sorter confirmed I was just about as strongly introverted as one could get (I scored on the extreme end of 'I' on both). For those interested in Type, these may be of some interest:

http://www.myersbriggs.org/

http://www.keirsey.com/

• hoser
    hoser

Introverts do not fare well in a religion like the Jehovah's witnesses. A person who wants to be alone is viewed with suspicion, as if that person is involved in some wrongdoing. How does an introverted person fare as a regular pioneer, stuck in a car group all day long with nosy prying "sisters". They do not make it. They freak out when placed in those circumstances and everyone around them wonders" whats wrong with Sally, she is sooo sensitive?"

IMHO introverts will never make it in the JW's

hoser

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit