Are You Raising An Introvert?

by darth frosty 172 Replies latest jw friends

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

11 Incredibly Useful Skills Every Introvert Has Mastered (Without Even Knowing It)

Stay Connected, Click Like!
    We have a rising number of people with social disorders like anxiety. Being acknowledged as a similar creature, people with introverted personalities are gaining more recognition.

While the internet and media do their part to integrate theses characters into the mainstream, there are still many misconceptions. As more people identify with these traits, they are coming to celebrate the things that make them different. Below is a list of some of those celebrated traits.

Seeing Texts At The Most Convenient Of Times

'Oh no! I got this too late, I guess I'll have to catch up with you later.' Is an all too frequent response. In fairness, you were probably working up to a reply and got caught up. The ability to screen for identity, and draw out the expected length of time to answer, is a reason they always text.

Pretending You Didn't See That Casual Acquaintance

We all do it, but the stakes are higher for an introvert or anxious person. They are avoiding eye contact, stooping lower and suddenly getting very interested on a spot on the wall, for reasons more serious than others. Seeing a person they didn't prepare to see, in a public environment is enough to legitimately stress someone out. More than just stress, they can be horrified they'll say something dumb or do anything to embarrass themselves. If you see someone trying to avoid you, be a good person and 'let them get past' you.

Amusing Yourself

These personality types spend a fair amount of time alone. As a direct result, they have mastered the art of amusement. Where other people would get bored and restless, these quiet types flourish. Silence is practically a sacred music to introverts, and people with anxiety are grateful for the moment to breath and let their heart and mind catch up. They are also statistically more intelligent than most, so they can find ways to fill their time. Their relationship with being alone is different than the norm, so difference in prioritization ensures they'll be ok.

Feigning Disappointment

All the time people with different social archetypes are expressing false sadness or disappointment about something they are delighted to hear. 'The amusement park closed today for repairs', everyone moans, you do everything you can to hide your glee to not have to spend a day sweating in the sun with obnoxious kids and judgey teens around you all day. They desire different experiences than most of us. What disappoints us may be right up an introvert's of anxious person's alley.

Planning Enviable Weekend Getaways

Such grand trips as a scenic tour of the Whole Foods prepared food aisle, a riveting, private showing of modern cinematography, and an exclusive, underwear, disco party with your cat in your kitchen. These may not strike others as the best way to spend free time, but who's asking?I appreciate the subtlety that forms their ideas of a good time.

Always Leaving The Bar At Consistently Reasonable Hours

They are like social clocks. Their movements through the day and into the night are carefully calibrated not only to their energy levels, but sensing with a fair amount of accuracy, when things are about to get crazy. They will consistently leave the bar well before the crowd gets 'LIT', and shortly after the happy hour concludes.

Negotiating With Your Introverted Friends

Having to be a social pattern minority and still have a life, means they are always negotiating and compromising. You're like a shut in mix of a pirate and UN spokesperson. Your skill in communication ensures that people know what to expect from you and keep you from being goaded into more than you can stand. Statements like, 'I'll go but I'm not dancing', or 'I'll go if ican bring my book', are commonplace.

Reading In Loud Crowded Areas With A Monk Like Will

You are able to tune out the world better than your Subaru's radio. Amidst a hip hop show you can be seen supporting your friends from the back, under the one working light, reading a Christopher Moore book. Years of suppressing overwhelming anxiety have gifted you with the ability focus on a single goal and achieve it. This dedication is why at your the office, you are the behind the scene's hardworking, mastermind.

Sneaking Away To The Bathroom To Collect Yourself And Recharge

Your powers of evasion spark rumors abound as you always find a way to steal away for as long as the crowd will let you. You sneak off the bathroom with the regularity of a drug addict, but the only thing you're huffing is the silence and oxygen. If you were proactive enough you may have grabbed a book. You breathe and calm your senses, giving your heart time to stop its escape plans.

Knowing Who You Are At The End Of The Day

These masteries of guile and social disciplines is cemented in a rarity. Too few people will ever truly be able to say that they know themselves. Even less so can say they like the person they have discovered. You know yourself, your strengths, your fears, and desires well enough that you can have fun in life even though the precepts of a good time (crowds, noise, bright lights) drain you.

Using Headphones As A Socially Acceptable Conversation Deterrent

Seeing someone with headphones in while out and about, usually indicates that the person doesn't want to talk to anyone. You could still have tasks to complete or need to get out of the house and can't bring yourself to commit to full blown hanging out. Whatever the specific reason, what you do with your ears and time is yours to do away with. Most people respect this new age sign of active withdrawal.

There are of course there are your friends or acquaintances that gesture for you to ditch them or God Forbid, tries to take them out, themselves. This person did just disrespectfully and intentionally violate your personal space, but try not to get too worked up about it. It's counter-productive to whatever mood you were trying to reach earlier. Breathe deep and go about your business.

• tornapart
    tornapart

darth frosty, I love this thread, thanks for starting it! I find my introversion is getting worse the older I get. It's very hard being an introvert, especially in Jdub land when everyone wants you to do extrovert stuff (like knock on strangers doors and going to assemblies). It's so refreshing not to have to do all those things now, that go against my natural personality. Everything you've posted on here I can relate to. Wonder how many on this board are introverts? I reckon the percentage could be quite high.

Anyway.. great thread!!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I am a happy hermit/introvert. Love it!

DY😀

• Terry
    Terry
    I was extraordinarily introverted until I reached Federal Prison and got the opportunity to study two fantastic people--and to imitate their approach to social interactions.
    I learned to "fake it" until the behavior became normalized.

I don't think you can learn personality development from a book or a lecture. It has to be modeled by flesh and blood with whom you have daily contact.
    To this day, internally and naturally, I am an introvert. But, like a reformed alcoholic, I take it one day at a time:)

People who know me well, would swear in a court of law I'm lying about introversion. I take that as a tribute to how well I've learned my lesson :)
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    ts apparently rare for females to be diagnosed with aspergers because women deal with it differently
    and its a difficult thing to diagnose in itself.

there are certain criteria you have to meet to be an aspie,

but its a much wider spread thing than is recognised as it so often goes unnoticed.

it also comes with heightened senses in this and that, but not always.

like a more settled kind of savant.

but still with unnoticed but massive disabilities socially.

such as alsmost self damaging honesty
    irrespective of others feelings.

I think they get termed borderline personality disorder, its horrible, I've witnessed what I now believe were girls with aspergers get turned on by others...horrible to watch. And the poor girls don't pick up the social cues...which looks like they are being intentionally antagonistic, which continues the cycle...utterly misunderstood. How they suffer.

Edit: but you are right not a disability of and in itself...in fact I believe essential for human evolution ...higher brain power thinking outside the box or the " herd instinct"

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

21 Incredibly Convenient Skills That Every Introvert Must Master

By Seth M on May 12, 2016
    feature_image_temazsdsdplate

1. Deftly pretending you didn’t see that casual acquaintance in public.

Deftly pretending you didn’t see that casual acquaintance in public.

Twitter: @factsonfemales

2. Feigning disappointment.

Feigning disappointment.

Twitter: @sempiternal_ / Via buzzfeed.com

3. Finding the best buddy at any party.

via Gemma Correll

4. And then ducking out unnoticed at a reasonable hour.

And then ducking out unnoticed at a reasonable hour.

NBC / Via reddit.com

5. Sending out firm but polite signals when you don’t want to socialize.

Sending out firm but polite signals when you don't want to socialize.

reddit.com

6. Negotiating with your more extroverted friends.

Negotiating with your more extroverted friends.

NBC / Via tumblr.mlarson.org

7. Seeing texts at the most convenient time.

Seeing texts at the most convenient time.

Anna Borges / BuzzFeed

8. Politely canceling plans.

21 Insanely Useful Skills Every Introvert Has Mastered

The CW / Via fiercelynormal.livejournal.com

9. And masterfully turning them down in the first place.

And masterfully turning them down in the first place.

NBC / Via weheartit.com

10. Reading in loud public places with ironclad concentration.

Reading in loud public places with ironclad concentration.

readingdidyoumeanbreathing.tumblr.com

11. Gracefully slipping out of conversations when they’ve gone on too long.

Gracefully slipping out of conversations when they've gone on too long.

thinkstockphotos.com

12. Finding creative methods to avoid your co-workers.

Finding creative methods to avoid your co-workers.

yik-yaks.tumblr.com

13. Keeping yourself thoroughly entertained.

Keeping yourself thoroughly entertained.

instagram.com

14. And planning truly enviable weekends.

And planning truly enviable weekends.

Twitter: @CabbageCatMemes / Via belleniente.tumblr.com

15. Speaking up to the bare minimum in class to still get participation points.

Speaking up to the bare minimum in class to still get participation points.

Twitter: @brlymichelle

16. Properly apologizing for your ~introvert quirks~.

Properly apologizing for your ~introvert quirks~.

CBS / Via imgur.com

17. Pacing yourself and your social energy.

Pacing yourself and your social energy.

Netflix

18. Using headphones as a weapon of defense.

Using headphones as a weapon of defense.

reddit.com

19. Making yourself at home in any bathroom when you need a few minutes to recharge.

Making yourself at home in any bathroom when you need a few minutes to recharge.

NBC / Via instagram.com

20. Knowing exactly when your social batteries are about to die.

Knowing exactly when your social batteries are about to die.

phillypu.tumblr.com

And then getting the fuck out of there before you turn into a cranky monster. (Rest of the comichere, btw.)

21. And, at the end of the day, knowing yourself.

And, at the end of the day, knowing yourself.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch
    an exclusive, underwear, disco party with your cat in your kitchen.

Darth Frosty......Are you saying that someone other than myself has discovered this fabulous way to spend a Friday (and sometimes Saturday) night???

• darth frosty
  • SAHS
    SAHS

Often when I was a child and my mom would introduce me to some of her old friends at a different congregation, she would announce to them: “Oh, he’s shy,” while she grinned and made a little chuckle at them. (Yes, I am, in fact, a classic introvert, and also diagnosed by two doctors as having Aspergers Syndrome.)

Just to reiterate: The absolute worse thing to do to an introvert (or shy or Aspergers person), for Christ’s sake, is to actually announce to other people that ‘we’re shy’!

• darth frosty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit