For non-believers: What evidence would it take for you to believe in 'god'?

by jay88 176 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Or gullibility.

Well...:)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    There are some things that would help me believe in a god, including but not limited to:
    1. Simultaneous flashes of inspiration to everyone sincerely researching a cure for cancer, MS, ALS, arthritis, alzheimers, etc. and how to make it available to the masses at no cost.
    2. Assuming that god understands how weather patterns and tectonic plate shifts work, some kind of guidance to provide early warning systems for tornados and earthquakes would be nice.
    3. Instead of going through the cost and time of court trials and jury verdicts, if someone is guilty of a crime against humanity (not a parking violation or the like) an indelible tattoo on their forehead of the crime they're guilty of would be cool - until they've changed their ways, then the tattoo goes away.
    4. Everyone, everywhere will have enough food to eat. Every day. All year. No matter what.
    5. A user interface download straight to the DNA to enable everyone to instinctively know how to drive in any conditions.
    If even one of these things happened, I would probably start to believe again...

That is actually a very good list.

I don't know how practical it is, I mean, look at number 4, arguably we already DO have the capacity to feed all the people in the world, economics keeps as from doing so.

Number 5 would be far better than the spliting of any sea, LOL !

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

arguably we already DO have the capacity to feed all the people in the world, economics keeps as from doing so

yeah but we're just puny humans with imperfect brains...from what I understand, god is way capable of taking us out of this equation, snapping his fingers and voila! done. No?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    yeah but we're just puny humans with imperfect brains...from what I understand, god is way capable of taking us out of this equation, snapping his fingers and voila! done. No?

Why would God do something that we ourselves can do?

Wasn't the whole point of Us telling God "where to go" to prove that we don't need God?

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Why would God do something that we ourselves can do?

Because in his infinite wisdom, he can see that we're clearly unable to do so - for whatever reasons. By taking over he'd be showing, by example, that when you're capable of doing the right thing for the right reasons that there's no reason not to.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Because in his infinite wisdom, he can see that we're clearly unable to do so - for whatever reasons. By taking over he'd be showing, by example, that when you're capable of doing the right thing for the right reasons that there's no reason not to.

I see your point, not to mention that it would take the burden of US and by showing, by leading by example, God would motivate US to do good, just like all those other Humans who lead by example...oh wait...if we didn't listen to them why would we listen to God?

Because if God doe sit, it means ONLY God can do it, which means we COULDN'T have done it ( but we could have) so we would have learned that, not trying is fine because God would fix it for us, just to show us how it is done !

Yeah, I don't think God is that dumb.

Ghandi and MLK were to lowly human who showed, by example, that humans can, without violence, make huge changes and yet...here we are...

If fellow humans have done and showed we can fix things, motivate and strengthened by God, and we still don't do it, I don't see God fixing the messes we make as being a big help.

But maybe I am wrong.

I admit that life would be far better, not to mentio easier, if God would just snap his fingers and fix all the problems that are too hard and to incovinent for us to fix.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Ghandi and MLK were to lowly human who showed, by example, that humans can, without violence, make huge changes and yet...here we are...

Ghandi was a man of non-violence whose success wresting India from the British ultimately resulted in the partition of his country and the slaughter of a million people. Religion-inspired slaughter of a million people. Kind of ironic, in a way.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    I admit that life would be far better, not to mentio easier, if God would just snap his fingers and fix all the problems that are too hard and to incovinent for us to fix.

Yeah, like death. Pretty inconvenient.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Ghandi was a man of non-violence whose success wresting India from the British ultimately resulted in the partition of his country and the slaughter of a million people. Religion-inspired slaughter of a million people. Kind of ironic, in a way.

Ghandi showed that god inspired faith is far more powerful than any organization, religious or otherwise.

Sad part was that no one paid atention to THAT part of his message.

Not even his own people.

Ghandi showed that man CAN do it and that Faith was the driving force, personal faith not organized religious faith.

Of course Man had other ideas.

Ghandi, like MLK and others of intense PERSONAL faith and hope are always dangerous to MAN.

Organized religion makes sheep, personal faith makes lions.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

A million people dead. That is, indeed, powerful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit