For non-believers: What evidence would it take for you to believe in 'god'?

by jay88 176 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Interesting ideas and possibilities do not deserve reverence or acceptance.

Under the context of this thread, yes, perhaps you are right.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    the-illuminator81: Finding JHWH written on every cell nucleus in every living being on earth.
    PSacramento: In what language? ;)

Excellent point, Psac! Why would God use one of man's primitive, limited languages to communicate a message of tremendous importance?? That is one of the very reasons I don't believe the Bible is of divine origin.

• White Dove
    White Dove

This thread is making me hungry.

*adds spaghetti and meatballs to grocery list*

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Excellent point, Psac! Why would God use one of man's primitive, limited languages to communicate a message of tremendous importance?? That is one of the very reasons I don't believe the Bible is of divine origin.

What language do you suggest God express himself to a hebrew with?

Not trying to be evasive but if God wanted to speak to you today, what language would he choose? English right?

Now, if you are asking why God choose the Hebrews, well, that is a very good question and why did he just choose them? od did he just choose them?

Going back to the original comment though:Finding JHWH written on every cell nucleus in every living being on earth.

That brings to mind Francis Collins book and his view that we are doing just that in science, finding "god" written on everything.

• trevorbv
    trevorbv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rqUsC2KsiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qmcOG-na4E

Summary:
    1. Verified prophecies
    2. Scientific knowledge
    3. Miraculous occurrences.
    4. Any manifestation of the divine.
    5. Aliens that believe in the same religion.

Also I would suggest this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_nonbelief
    If God wants to acknowledge his existance he could do it in so many ways. I'm sure most of the atheists will accept him. I would. Who is that dumb to deny the existance of God when evidence exists? But there's no conclusive evidence.

Argument from nonbelief

1. If God exists, God:
    2. wants all humans to believe God exists before they die;
    3. can bring about a situation in which all humans believe God exists before they die;
    4. does not want anything that would conflict with and be at least as important as its desire for all humans to believe God exists before they die; and
    5. always acts in accordance with what it most wants.
    6. If God exists, all humans would believe so before they die (from 1).
    7. But not all humans believe God exists before they die.
    8. Therefore, God does not exist (from 2 and 3).
  • aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

It would require the same evidence it took for me to believe that my husband exists, or my children exist.

Nothing more.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    If he/she/it revealed itself directly (no human "messengers") not only to me, but to every other human being everywhere else on earth

Good point. If he/she/it revealed itself only to me, I would merely think I was crazy.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

@keyser:

Right, because when a god is all secretive like that and sequesters one person and reveals itself to only that one person as their "messenger" (as always seems to be the case with religious prophets, etc.), there are really only two possibilities:

1) That person has mental issues/delusions

2) The person is perfectly sane, but god is a real dick who could just as easily (being all-powerful) cut out the middle man, simplify things, and allow everyone on earth the same knowledge of him and exactly what he wants by fairly telling them all the exact same thing face-to-face...but chooses not to. Because he enjoys the confusion, I guess.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Because our experiences are the sum total of chemicals in our brain reacting to chemical balance and imbalance reacting to our environment it is impossible to know no matter what happens. We beleive what we believe. I don't.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Because our experiences are the sum total of chemicals in our brain reacting to chemical balance and imbalance reacting to our environment it is impossible to know no matter what happens. We beleive what we believe. I don't.

There is no evidence to prove you actually have any thought or concsience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit