Are we losing members quicker than the WT ??

by wobble 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Alfred
    Alfred

Basically, the WT has caught on to this new "satanic" tool called the internet and have become increasingly guarded with their indiscretions. So once you've covered their false predictions, ridiculous doctrines, flawed chronology, contribution scandals, etc., the conversation runs dry while the Society learns new "damage control" techniques. Eventually, as Jookbeard pointed out, people just get bored and move on...

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I find the tone of kool-aid man's linked thread self-righteous and condescending.

We didn't leave one set of masters just to subject ourselves to another. We're free to discuss whatever we choose to discuss within the Posting Guidlines set forth by the site owner. Is some of the humor a turn-off to doubting JWs? Sure it is. I came here years and years ago when I was a good little JW and I promptly turned around and left.

Does that mean the JWN board failed? Or that the members here at the time owed me some sort of "better" form of speech and encouragement?

No. It doesn't. If this board's stated purpose was "to provide help, encouragement, and a soft landing spot for doubting JWs" then that would be one thing but it isn't the board's mission. It is sometimes a happy by-product but it isn't the reason it exists. There are other sites and boards that are more up that alley and I highly recommend them. I've recommended Moxie's site to more people than I've recommended JWN, quite honestly, but that doesn't make this board "wrong" or a "failure" or any other label one wants to put on it.

It's just a different kind of place.

If someone would like to change the level of discourse, don't make a thread complaining about it. Make a thread with a higher level of discourse.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

After being on the board for awhile many people just read. I've only been on for four years, and I like to watch the younger ones take over...kind of like the student becoming the teacher.

• oompa
    oompa

we do get busy...we do move on...some leave but not forever....like me............oompa

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I think its a good thing people come and go. To some degree it means that people are capable of moving on in life. This may sound unrealistic, but I'd like to see the day when message boards such as this are no longer needed.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

I think most people leave because they simply move on from having the need to bash the Watchtower, or to detox from it, or from whatever reasons they were posting. I don't think it has anything to do with this site in particular, it happens on ALL discussion boards. New people come in, and older people fade out. For many that do, I would hope it means that they have put their indoctrination demons out to pasture.

What makes this place great is the prolific amount of registered members, the great diversity of opinions and personalities, and the freedom of expression that Simon allows. It's also easy to find because of the domain name that Simon was able to secure.

• superpunk
    superpunk

I actually found this board after I had found a few others. I think each one offers something different. For instance, the first board I posted on was the Yuku board, and I feel that board is the best one out there for people who are considering leaving, newly left, have been out for a while, etc. It's the most welcoming, has some of the most empathetic posters, etc. I come here to read crazy things, be entertained, get into arguments and exercise the mind a little bit, lol. I don't think this board is the best board for newbies getting out. It's big, it's easy to get lost in the wash. I keep going to them in general because I feel they saved my life, and I've gotten feedback from people saying I've really helped them here and there, and it's kind of a debt of gratitude.

• watersprout
    watersprout

I'm still here. Just been busy and felt like perusing the site tonight. Did anyone miss me?? lol

• flipper
    flipper

I think this board is actually doing pretty well in bringing in NEW members. I have seen some weeks where it seems that 20 to 30 new members have joined. It seems at least one or two daily new members join. I think the posters who say it goes in phases are correct- some people go away awhile, then return back and contribute again if they have more time available. At least we HAVE that option to do so ! We didn't have that option as Jehovah's Witnesses. Once you leave , that's pretty much it - and when you return back to the JW's you get treated like poop. Not so here- people can come & go and it's cool. So it's a great, diverse crowd here . I find it enjoyable to see newbies gaining freedom of mind and long timers here being around to help them and give support to one another as well. This board's a real kick in the a$$ time- entertainment wise as well

• cantleave
    cantleave

I believe the turnover on this board is healthy. At least we have the archives so all the wise words of the great and good are here for posterity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit