So me, of all people, had a religious experience

by sabastious 363 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

And even with your 19% figure it's still in the millions to one ratio.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

I have a lot more to say but I am having a hard time putting it to words.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

This example is ironic so I will use it.

Remember in the Bible when Peter heard the cock crow? I felt similar when the 8th hand was dealt. I didn't remember the garage experience until after the 8th hand was dealt. It hit me like a ton of bricks.

-Sab

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If I rough calculate with 1-in-5 for each hand then to calculate the streak, it's like 1-in-10 for the second hand, 1-in-15 for the third hand, 1-in-20 for the fourth hand, 1-in-25 for the fifth hand, 1-in-30 for the sixth hand, 1-in-35 for the seventh hand, and 1-in-40 for the eighth hand.

You don't need to count all the hands where it would break the streak because you would start all over again.

1-in-40 is pretty rough math. Some rocket scientist is welcome to figure it better, but one thing is for sure- it ain't a miracle.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Maybe it was God responding to an honest question of "Are you really there?" Skeptics will always be skeptical about personal experiences, as you've seen on this thread. But you know what you know and you know what you felt. People that have never had these experiences just seem to want to show you how you couldn't possibily had the experience that you know you had. But I guess that's just the balance of things.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    If I rough calculate with 1-in-5 for each hand then to calculate the streak, it's like 1-in-10 for the second hand, 1-in-15 for the third hand, 1-in-20 for the fourth hand, 1-in-25 for the fifth hand, 1-in-30 for the sixth hand, 1-in-35 for the seventh hand, and 1-in-40 for the eighth hand.

I don't think you are using the correct formula for the consecutive aspect of the equation.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Maybe it was God responding to an honest question of "Are you really there?" Skeptics will always be skeptical about personal experiences, as you've seen on this thread. But you know what you know and you know what you felt. People that have never had these experiences just seem to want to show you how you couldn't possibily had the experience that you know you had. But I guess that's just the balance of things.

I look at it differently (sorry to make an opposite point, I feel like I do that a lot).

I see them trying to help me because they don't want me to waste time and energy if it can be proven merely a coincidence. It's one of the reasons I posted the story here.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

I'm pretty sure the chances of flipping a coin twice and hitting tales twice in a row is 1/2 multiplied by 1/2, correct?

-Sab

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Yes I am using the correct formula for the consecutive aspect of the equation. Oh sure, if you started from scratch intending to actually get this specific result, the odds would be much greater. But you noticed that the first hand was a "King-Small."

Once a "King-Small" hand is dealt with the 19.6% odds of it happening, it's another 19.6% odds that it will happen again and it's a 19.6% chance that after it happened twice that it will happen a third time. So I have thrown out the other streak-breaking possibilities since it did happen each time. Your belief that it's Millions-to-1 is based on planning to get this result from the beginning. That's how Vegas makes so much money.

If you don't like my rounding up slightly, then even 1-in-50 or 1-in-100 is way closer to the truth than 1-in-A Million.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    If I rough calculate with 1-in-5

Getting 1/5 8 times in a row is (1 / 5)^8 - that is not 1 in 40.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit