So me, of all people, had a religious experience

by sabastious 363 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

Poker is an extremely emotional game for me. There was a 6 month time period where I supported my family by playing poker. As far as I can tell it would be an psychologically ingenious way to contact me.

-Sab

• unshackled
    unshackled

Or...it *could* just be coincidence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98OTsYfTt-c

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Seems to me you must have a lot of sentimental hands, especially after having played the game so intensely for so long. In your place I would be amused, not dumbfounded. Human beings have a tendency to perceive probability dynamics in terms of relatively small numbers - that is why there are those who believe in Creation simply because the probability of conditions that would allow the spontaneous generation of life is very, very, very small, to the extent they believe it to be impossible. But the anthropic principle allows us to think otherwise, particularly within the context of billions of galaxies each with billions of stars and planets, which constitutes a far, far greater range of probability than 9 cards drawn at random from a deck of 4 suits each with 13 cards.

What you experienced was highly unlikely, but not impossible, sab. I am holding out for something far more remarkable.

• zoiks
    zoiks
    I just wish I knew for sure

So, Sab, can you now take a deep breath and relax, because a clear unmistakable answer has been given to you?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't remember your JW status and you don't have a biography on JWN nor do I see a thread you started that tells us your JW status.

But you and your brother are semi-professional Texas Hold 'em players? Whazzup with that? From your description, it sounds like the two of you just play each other.

Anyway, coincidences do happen. Even if you are so certain that it went beyond coincidence, all you might think is that there are fairies in the world who sneak under the cards and change them, just like they sneak under the pillow and exchange a coin for a tooth. That, or magic is real.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

it was god, he listened to u, see god reveals himself in mysterious ways and only to people who really wanna know if he exists. so you are one of the lucky ones, oh along with brotherdan he also spoke to jesus. that showd you how good can god play his hands.. i knew it. texas is somehow related to god

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think your brother learned some slight of hand.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

okm gonna take classes now

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    I know for people reading this is might not sound very astonishing but believe me what happened was indeed, for all intents and purposes, impossible.

Sab, without sounding like a smart-arse, if only due to the fact that it happened, may I suggest the term highly improbable?

"That a particular specified event or coincidence will occur is very unlikely. That some astonishing unspecified events will occur is certain. That is why remarkable coincidences are noted in hindsight, not predicted with foresight."--David G. Myers

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    texas is somehow related to god

CJ, any Texan could've told you that.

Unrelated, I saw your PM earlier and replied via email.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit