So me, of all people, had a religious experience

by sabastious 363 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

Immature people tend think they can say any shitty thing they want and if somebody takes offense then they must be getting their feathers ruffled. What a wonderful philosophy; you never lose and it's always someone else's fault. Why don't you man up and take responsibility for your words?

You insulted Journey On, a sweet woman, who never did anything to you and who has contributed much to this forum.

So tell us, Nic, what serious contribution to humanity have you made recently? Don't be modest. Do share. Because if you think anything you have added to this discussion, be it negative or positive, is bettering humanity, you really need to get over yourself.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I'm going to make an attempt at that math:

I'll start with King-Small:

King small was dealt out to "find the button" the formula to find the odds of that is:

4 kings out of 52 cards in a deck. The chance of dealing a single King is 52 / 4 which equals 0.0769 or 7.7%

Small cards are 2's through 8's which are 7 cards types out of 13 card types. The chances of dealing a small card is 0.5384 or 53.8%

The chances of being dealt King-Small as the first two cards dealt is (0.0769 x 0.5384) x 2 which equals 0.0828 or 8.3% - I have to mulitply the end result by 2 because their are two possible ways to be dealt King-Small: the King being dealt first and the Small being dealt first; I hope that makes sense.

Lets just forget the rest of the cards because King-Small was in every one of our hands. Forget the Ace of Spades, forget all that just focus on the King-Small being dealt 8 times in a row using 4 hole cards once we started playing.

At least one of us was dealt King-Small eight times in a row given only 4 cards total at a time.

All we have to do is add the percentages together:

0.0828 + 0.0828 equals 0.1656 or 16.6%

So there is a 16.6% chance of one of us getting dealt King Small each hand. I think I just take this number and apply the Exponentiation of 0.1656 to the power of 8 which equals

1.000000e-6 <-- lol this is what this online calculator gave me and I don't know what it means.

My math could be way off I haven't ever really done anything like this before.

-Sab

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

You seem adept at name calling, Robdar.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    So tell us, Nic, what serious contribution to humanity have you made recently? Don't be modest. Do share. Because if you think anything you have added to this discussion, be it negative or positive, is bettering humanity, you really need to get over yourself.

As overlord of this thread I command thee to stop this at once!

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Now if this was my brother and I's first run in with King-Small I would just think it was something amazing. But the fact that king small is such a hot topic for my brother and I.... I can't deny that it might be a message or maybe even the equivalent of a facebook poke from something out of this world.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Powers of e

Main article: Exponential function

The important mathematical constant e, sometimes called Euler's number, is approximately equal to 2.718 and is the base of the natural logarithm. It provides a path for defining exponentiation with noninteger exponents. It is defined as the following limit where the power goes to infinity as the base tends to one:

e =\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left(1+\frac 1 n \right)^n  .
  • Nickolas
    Nickolas

Sab, I get 0.1656^8 as 5.65565174883507E-07, or 0.0000000566. This is one chance in 1,768,143. For comparison, the probability of picking the winning numbers in a lottery using six balls out of 49 is 7.151E-08, or one in 13,913,816.

• sabastious
    sabastious

1.7 million to one is still too much for me to shrug it off as coincidence. But it does bring it down low enough for the realm of possibility.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Also once the odds hit 1.7 million I stopped out of shock, I don't know how long it would have went. Seemed to me it went on as long as it took to get my notice.

-Sab

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

It begs the question, though, at what point does improbability of an event become an unexplainable phenomenon?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit