So me, of all people, had a religious experience

by sabastious 363 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

I was sitting in my garage, as I often do, to chill out and I actually ended up becoming angry.

So here I am, in my garage, kicking it on the stool for the drum set that is in there (I am a pianist/composer, not a drummer). I start to think about all the crazy stuff that transpires on this planet. We have all seen shows and heard stories or maybe even witnessed events that don't add up. Very frustrated I yelled loud within my mind "I just wish I knew for sure whether or not there is intelligence out there doing anything besides humanity! I mean common! I would just like to know."

I remember really meaning it. I wasn't officially asking for anything... I was just genuinely frustrated and I might have spoken it aloud I don't really remember.

After that forgettable experience I go back into my house and throw the football around with my brother outside in the rain and cold (we really like to throw the football, lol). Then my brother tells me that he wants to play poker, texas holdem.

You see, my brother and I are both semi-professional Texas Holdem' players and we really enjoy the battle of wits that come from going heads up against eachother. When he first moved in with my wife and I we would play every day, sometimes 3 or 4 times. It had been a good few months since we played so we were excited to begin.

We have played literally hundreds of thousands of hands. So naturally, we have fun inside jokes about the hands we think we get more often than others. When we play our heads up matches we always point out these certains hands that have a very specific meaning to us over the Texas Holdem experiences we have had. It's hard for me to explain this sentimentality of poker hands, but it is a real thing in the Professional Poker World.

We played for about 8 minutes and then I had to stop because I was speechless, dumbfounded even. The hands we both kept getting were always one of the sentimental hands, every time, no break. The chances of getting the cards we dealt out in the consecutive manner that we did (with the deck we always play with and with my brother trying many different methods of shuffling) is upwards in the billions to one ratio.

I have no explanation. I know for people reading this is might not sound very astonishing but believe me what happened was indeed, for all intents and purposes, impossible. Especially coming only a half and hour before I shouted out for someone to tell me what the hell is going on. I feel strongly that there was some funny business going on.

I feel a bit like Jules Winnfield from Pulp Fiction right now.

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

It would be really wierd if there were were no amazing coincidences. We are pattern seeking creatures Sab.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    It would be really wierd if there were were no amazing coincidences. We are pattern seeking creatures Sab.

I would say the same thing if I read what I just wrote.

-Sab

• snowbird
    snowbird

Why not you, of all people?

I've had many like that, Sab.

Just relax and enjoy the ride.

Syl

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Just relax and enjoy the ride.

I'm not one to just have something like this happen and take it at face value. If it was some sort of response to what I said I want to know the reason for this particular demonstration, but that's getting ahead of myself.

First, I have to exhaust all possible reasonable explanations or find one that fits.

-Sab

• Ding
    Ding

Sab,

When you wrote about you being angry, it reminded me of C.S. Lewis' comment that when he was an atheist, he sometimes found himself angry at God for not existing. Then he realized how weird that was.

• sabastious
    sabastious

What are some of your more involved experiences? (if you don't mind me asking).

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    When you wrote about you being angry, it reminded me of C.S. Lewis' comment that when he was an atheist, he sometimes found himself angry at God for not existing. Then he realized how weird that was.

For the record I have never denied the existence of God and have never considered myself an atheist.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

I will admit, though, that my views on God would be considered blasphemous to most Faiths.

-Sab

• snowbird
    snowbird
    What are some of your more involved experiences? (if you don't mind me asking).
    -S

I won't go into it today.

However, after talking with others who had similar experiences, that was enough to convince me that Someone cares for and knows each of us intimately.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit