So me, of all people, had a religious experience

by sabastious 363 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If you really want to tabulate some "odds," don't forget to include "ANY SUIT" and only tabulate the order of the hands if the order was expected and meaningful. If you just saw several hands in a row, but with no specific supernatural reason why the King-Small should be followed by the Queen-Duece, then the odds of that happening are meaningless.

• sabastious
    sabastious

OTWO I didn't test the supernatrual. The statement in the garage was completely forgotten when the game started. For the first few hands, it was just a normal poker game with my bro that was starting out really oddly.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    If you just saw several hands in a row, but with no specific supernatural reason why the King-Small should be followed by the Queen-Duece, then the odds of that happening are meaningless.

Once I post the math you'll see what I am talking about. No need to coach me about the "any suit" I am going to do my best to cover all the math bases.

-Sab

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I had a whole long comment set up here to explain why I am skeptical. But have a nice day. Enjoy your feeling.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I had a whole long comment set up here to explain why I am skeptical. But have a nice day. Enjoy your feeling.

had?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Yeah, HAD. I removed it like lightning and replace it with the comment above. I don't want to attempt to rain on your parade and stay involved in a debate over it.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

have faith and KNOW.

Can't agree with you, journeyon. Faith and knowledge are mutually exclusive. It's getting threadbare, but the example of the 19 9/11 hijackers is perhaps the most apropos and current example of faith not being truth. These men were so supremely faithful, believed so completely and unambiguously, that they ended their own lives along with the lives of 2,977 strangers. That's faith. Assertions without evidence that you are right and everyone who disagrees with you is wrong.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I read over your play by play carefully, sab, and understand your perception of remarkable coincidence, but I still don't understand your leaning toward a supernatural influence. I remember many years ago a lottery winning number that got everyone all excited. I think it was Lottario. The way it worked, there were 70 balls in a cage, seven zeros, seven ones, seven twos etc, which was tumbled while 7 balls were allowed to fall out of an opening in the cage and arrange themselves in a row. The winning number was 1111111. People got excited, saying "Hey, what are the odds of THAT happening?" but the Lottario Corporation answered by saying "The odds of 1111111 coming up are exactly the same as any other seven digit number coming up."

I'm reminded of the statement made by Albert Einstein - the one people mistakenly interpret as an indication of his theism. He said "God does not play dice." I don't think he plays cards, either.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Morning Sab..

Every poker player..Has hot and cold runs..There are days when I can do nothing wrong..

Then there are days,when I can`t buy a decent hand..

Thats when I re-arrange the Beer in my Frige and Sacrifice a Chicken in the Back Yard..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2341/1835726177_b94d05ef96.jpghttp://www.guttercalypso.net/_images/chickenSacrafice.jpg

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Sab - I absolutely believe, based on my own experience that God reaches you however he can if you really want him to. It looks to me like he chose to reach you through the poker game.

Loz x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit