So me, of all people, had a religious experience

by sabastious 363 Replies latest jw friends

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

sbc, you are mean. sab had a religious experince. ok? now you wanna play poker?

• CandleLight
    CandleLight

Interesting thing about God... He chooses ways to reach us that we would understand. You knew how absolutely impossible it was for that sequence of hands to happen, and how sentimental it was to you.

So now that he has reached out to you to answer your question.... keep listening.

• jay88
    jay88

I get an epiphany just about every time I get Chinese food, with the wonderful self-affirming note in the sugar cookie.

• tec
    tec

Keep on listening is my advice as well.

You are open to hearing, Sab... no reason at all that it would be impossible for you 'of all people' to hear.

I would also advise that you don't drive yourself crazy, either. Just listen and stay open to hearing; take a deep breath, and relax. Turning my trust to God and His Son was the most peaceful and liberating experiences of my life.

Tammy

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    sbc, you are mean. sab had a religious experince.

Hey, I'm not mocking Sab, I'm just playing the Devil's advocate. And I think he's trying to keep an open mind as well, based on his comment about exhausting all other possibilities first, like probability. http://www.skepdic.com/lawofnumbers.html

I can't play poker worth crap. I get all excited and say stuff like, "SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL!" if I get an ace or anything larger than a nine. Of course, beer exacerbates the problem so I just stick with that and skip the poker.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    So, Sab, can you now take a deep breath and relax, because a clear unmistakable answer has been given to you?

What happened to me might have been it's best effort, no?

-Sab

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    I get an epiphany just about every time I get Chinese food, with the wonderful self-affirming note in the sugar cookie.

lol, Jay

The Tick: [after biting into a fortune cookie] A secret message from my teeth!

EDIT: Please note that I'm not mocking anyone here, it just reminded me of a funny line from a cartoon. lol, dammit!

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I'm sure you knew that by posting this you were going to get ridiculed by the skeptics. You know what you saw and what you felt. SBC has not had that sort of experience, so instead of getting jealous he's just going to mock you.

Keep your eyes open, dude. There's been times where I've KNOWN that the Holy Spirit used me to accomplish something. That's going to mean absolutely zero to the skeptic. If I told them the story, the too would just mock me or say it was just random chance or that I was reading into things too much. I find it sad when people, like sbc, have NEVER had a spiritual experience. It strengthens faith. I'm makes things more clear. But you have to be open to it.

Not trying to bash on you, Cheeze.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Question, sab. Deep down, do you really want to believe in mystical experiences to help you make sense of the world? One thing I learned when I first joined this board is that many who contribute here either believe deeply in God or would prefer believing in God than be agnostic. Where's your head at? The Dawkins scale might be helpful:

1 Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C. G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'

2 Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.

3 Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'

4 Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'

5 Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'

6 Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'

7 Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.'

Which are you? It might help you understand why you perceived your experience as so unusual. I generally count myself as a 6. I am not absolutely convinced that there is no god, although I believe the probability to be exceedingly small, but I am absolutely convinced he isn't that puny and psychotic Yahweh god depicted in the OT. It makes sense to believe that man created god in his own image, and not the other way around. Anything I or anyone else experiences that can simply be explained to be mathematically possible is not spooky under any circumstances. You can relax.

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

what the significance?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit