What is your definition of a "Fundi" or a Fundamentalist?

by brotherdan 236 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sir82
    sir82
    But all indications show that Jesus took those stories as literal. He refered to them specifically. So if those stories were not true then Jesus was perpetuating a lie.

That's perfectly silly.

If I reference something from "the Wizard of Oz" in a motivational speech, am I a liar?

What if I reference something from the "the Wizard of Oz" in trying to miotivate my 3 year old son, who has no idea that "the Wizard of Oz" is fiction? Am I a liar then?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

You are if you make others believe that it is a TRUE story. Jesus called Himself THE TRUTH. He made it clear when He was using parables. But when He refered to OT accounts, He was stating them as if they were facts. That is not perfectly silly.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    It just doesn't matter. It doesn't change the teachings of Christ one bit.

So, Lisa, what percentage of the time could I lie to you or misguide you, yet still maintain your trust? 25%? 50%? 95%?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

That wasn't very nice. I do care what others think and believe and try to respect that. But if I'm debating then I'm going to voice my opinion if I think you're wrong.

It was neither nice nor cruel. It is what it is: my straightforward opinion without whitewash or cushion. When I use the phrase "care about what others think" it isn't the emotional sense of "care" in that I don't think you feel anything one way or the other about it. In the emotional sense you care deeply, perhaps too deeply. I mean "care" in the sense that the opinions of others can not influence you if they disagree with your firmly held preconceptions. That is the very definition of narrow-minded.

To be a fundamentalist Christian you HAVE TO BE narrow-minded. Once you open your mind, the fundamentalist scales fall from your eyes.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

But when He refered to OT accounts, He was stating them as if they were facts.

Or he was stating them as if they were storys that everyone knew and were familiar with.

There is more than one way to look at it.

For example, Santa Claus is a jolly, fat man in red. He comes around at Christmas time with gifts for good children.

Am I stating that as FACT?

Kinda. You see?

There is more than one way to look at things.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It was written thousands of years ago.I don't care what modern Jews think. They don't take Jesus as being real either.

I just got back from taking my daughter to school and I thought about what your response (and I see you've edited it - so I'm not wrong?) and to me it didn't make sense but to a person firmly entrenched in black/white thinking perhaps it does.

Good moring Lisa *waves* I like your example.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    I mean "care" in the sense that the opinions of others can not influence you if they disagree with your firmly held preconceptions.

And that shows that you don't know me. I may not come across that way, but I am influenced very much by others. I've come to different conclusions, but you have no idea how much I think about the opinions, views, and beliefs of others on this site.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Those of us on the message board can only know the brotherdan of the message board. Online, how one comes across is how one is because it is the only person the community has access to. Also, you have misunderstood me. I didn't say you ignore the views of others, just that you don't allow them to influence you. You believe what you believe and have no inclination to give up faith in favor of reason.

By the way, have you read the Age of Reason by Thomas Paine?

It's a masterpiece of rational thought. (I can guess what your answer is going to be.)

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I haven't read it. I do like Thomas Paine though...

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I just downloaded it (It's free onliine) and I'll read it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit