What is your definition of a "Fundi" or a Fundamentalist?

by brotherdan 236 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I've been called a "fundi" many times in my discussions with people on the board, and I'd like to know what your definition is of a "fundi". Don't google it. I just want to hear your personal definition.

I find it interesting because I don't go to any church. I don't follow a set of beliefs other than what I read in the Bible. So what makes me a "fundi"?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I don't follow a set of beliefs other than what I read in the Bible.

The above is what makes you a Fundy.

If one only reads the Bible, he can easily believe things which are demonstrably false.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

So by your definition, anyone with an inerrant view of the Bible is a fundy or fundi?

Also, you well know that I don't ONLY read the Bible. I read everything I can get my hands on. I've read everything from Dawkins to Darwin to the Mishnah to Billy Graham to Stephen King.

And the beliefs that I hold to are the ones that (IMO) make the most sense. And those happen to come from the Bible.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

One has to make the distinction of a "fundamentalist" and a "Fundamentalist."

Under the first word describes who believes in the inerrancy of the Bible. Whereas

second word is used for one who follows the Protestant movement of the 19th

century. Jehovah's Witnesses are "fundamentalists"....but not Fundamentalists.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

It's not that you only read the Bible, it's that you reject anything which contradicts a simple reading of Scripture. For example, a global flood, Adam and Eve, biological evolution, etc.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I've rejected theories of men that constantly change. A global flood has NOT been conclusively proven to have not happened. Same as Adam and Eve. Also, as far as I've ever been able to see, genetic mutations have not shown to increase information but to lose information. But I know that no one wants to get into the "information from no information" discussion. But my point is, I don't blindly follow anything. I read all I can and formulate conclusions that make the most sense to me. Maybe they do not make sense to you, and you are entitled to that. But I don't toss out anything because it contradicts the Bible. However, as far as my experience has gone, the Bible has shown itself to be inerrant to me. The same cannot be said about science.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

To me, a fundy is a person who puts the rules that he finds here and there in the Bible over the Big Idea of the Bible: “Love your neighbor.”

A fundy is Bible believer who takes everything in the Bible very literally.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    However, as far as my experience has gone, the Bible has shown itself to be inerrant to me.

By now, you've learned that this belief places you into a minority, among professed Christians. How does this make you feel? Puzzled, sad, frustrated? Or is it a topic that you haven't given much thought?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

So for lisa it's a biblical literalist? I agree with #2 but not #1. Does that make me 1/2 fundy?

• designs
    designs

Believing the Sun stood still for Joshua and the army......that'll get you your Fundi Stripes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit