What is your definition of a "Fundi" or a Fundamentalist?

by brotherdan 236 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

How does this make you feel? Puzzled, sad, frustrated? Or is it a topic that you haven't given much thought?

I've given it plenty of thought. And it's sad to me. However, I may be a minority on THIS BOARD, but that is because many of the Christians on this board have been JWs and their ideas of the Bible has been skewed after leaving. But I'm not a minority among most Christians in the real world.

But everyone has to work out their own faith. Like I've said before, I don't understand those that can rip parts of the Bible out and hold to other parts. The "I just believe in Jesus, but I don't believe in the parts of the Bible that I don't like" idea just doesn't make sense. If I were to reject part of the Bible, I would reject the entire thing. The Bible is completely interconnected. Jesus spoke of the flood. He spoke of Adam and Eve. So if I reject Adam and Eve and the flood, then why would I not reject Jesus Himself. It makes no sense.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    But I'm not a minority among most Christians in the real world.

Please provide some evidence to support the idea that MOST Christians alive today are fundamentalists.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

IMHO, not taking certain parts of the bible as literal isn't a rejection of Jesus. From what I've read even jewish folks don't take the creation story or the flood story as being literal and they wrote it.

• designs
    designs

Maybe the essential premises need to be examined such as the Jesus of the NT not truly reflecting the real person who lived in the first half of the first century.

Once a person gets their head around what the Bishops of Rome and the Greek Bishops did to the image of this 'Jesus' person other things start falling into place and making sense.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I tried to quickly research it and will continue, but here is something:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145286/Four-Americans-Believe-Strict-Creationism.aspx

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

LOL, brotherdan, where did Noah get the penguins and polar bears?

How did Noah build a wooden boat that was so big, bigger than the biggest wooden sailing ship ever built, in a shape that would have caused it to crack into a million pieces as soon as the waves lifted it off the ground?

How did the fresh water creatures survive being mixed into a salty ocean?

Just a few to start out.....

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    jewish folks don't take the creation story or the flood story as being literal and they wrote it

It was written thousands of years ago.I don't care what modern Jews think. They don't take Jesus as being real either.

If you can't believe in the OT stories, then you at LEAST have to reject the book of Hebrews, right? It mentions MANY of the OT characters and their faith.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    where did Noah get the penguins and polar bears?
    How did Noah build a wooden boat that was so big, bigger than the biggest wooden sailing ship ever built, in a shape that would have caused it to crack into a million pieces as soon as the waves lifted it off the ground?
    How did the fresh water creatures survive being mixed into a salty ocean?

These topics have been covered MANY times by creationists. If you did some research you will find that there ARE answers to these things.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Just because I don't have a literal stance on the creation and flood stories (and a few others) doesn't mean I don't see some value in those stories. It's not a rejection.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

The Book of Hebrews also states in chapter 11 that the patriarchs would eventually attain a "better resurrection". That they are "alien residents". Seems like they are away from home, searching for their real destiny. Sounds to me like being reincarnated over and over into cyclical existence until they finally reach Masterhood and ascend the hell out of here into a "city prepared for them". That might make some sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit