What is your definition of a "Fundi" or a Fundamentalist?

by brotherdan 236 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Sir82, silly silly example. That was not a parable. It was very clearly a metaphore. The rules of hermeneutics state that you take something literal unless it is clearly indicated that it is not literal. If I said that you are a strong rock, you know that I'm being metaphorical and not being literal. Silly...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    See, PSac, that just doesn't fly with me. If the writer of Genesis says that all flesh was destroyed, then when I find out that NOT all flesh was destroyed, why believe ANYTHING he says? Why am I the one that misunderstood? If the Bible says that the universe was created in 6 days and is confirmed even more clearly in Exodous 20:11 - For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy" ....then why am I the one that misunderstood the word "Day"?
    That sounds like a cop out to me. If something is shown to be false then why do I have to figure it out to make it fit when it goes against what was actually said?

And that, Dan, is what makes you a fundamentalist.

And probably an atheist of you ever stop being a fundi.

Not cricizing you Bro, just answering your original question :)

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Have you ever made a list of what parts of the Bible you disagree with PSac? It'd be interesting to see what parts you like and what parts you don't.

• sabastious
    sabastious

for Age of Reason by Paine.

Brodan: You believe that the entire Bible (every word) is the direct line of communication from God to man: a literal Word of God. This is a baseline belief for you and you have your reasons for setting it as your foundation. Therfore, all subsequent beliefs can be traced to your Core Belief: The Bible.

The Bible might be a single artifact etched in stone as far as you are concerned. It is the authority for spirituality and connection with God from your perspective.

Can you see the potential problems with such a belief? From an outsiders perspective you are worshipping a book and telling everybody around you that it's the ONLY way to worship God. Some people are naturally going to feel attacked by such a position because their family has been worshipping God for generations and the Bible was obviously not part of it.

The Bible by it's own definition spits on other cultures by self declaration of Total Authority. You bend to the authority of this book and you are proud of it.

That's why you are a "Fundi"

-Sab

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    To anyone that has read the entire thing, does he eventually discuss why he believes in God at all?

Dan, Paine was a deist. (Check wiki link for brief summary.)

While I do not consider myself a deist, I am not entirely opposed to the philosophy. I just don't have real faith in it. But I think it's a fine example of a gray shade among the black and white.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I would never be an atheist. I guess if I thew out the Bible I would go the way of Thomas Paine (obviously I'm reading Age of Reason right now). If the Bible is not true, then what Paine says MUST be true. Atheism does not make ANY sense to me.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Deism is an awesome skeleton framework to start with.

It basically states that we were created by God and he speaks to us through his creation. I don't think there is a religion out there that doesn't at least halfway agree with that.

I have been calling myself a deist because it's the belief system closest to how I think this world is. Lately though, I have been giving serious consideration to reincarnation.

-Sab

• garyneal
    garyneal

something went wrong

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Interesting chart. Should you trust ANY of these books as trustworthy copies?

AuthorWhen WrittenEarliest CopyTime SpanNo. of Copies
    Homer (Iliad)900 BC400 BC500 years 643
    Ceasar (The Gallic Wars)100 - 44 BC900 AD1,000 years 10
    Plato (Tetralogies)427 - 347 BC900 AD1,200 years7
    Aristotle384 - 322 BC1,100 AD1,400 years49
    Herodotus (History)480 - 425 BC900 AD1,300 years8
    Euripedes480 - 406 BC1,100 AD1,500 years9
    New Testament50 - 90 A.D.130 AD30 years24,000
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Have you ever made a list of what parts of the Bible you disagree with PSac? It'd be interesting to see what parts you like and what parts you don't.

Disagree with? I disagree with every part that attributes a morally aprehensible act to God.

By the way, you circumsized? As per God's commandment:

"This is My covenant which you shall keep, between Me and you and your descendants after you: Every male child among you shall be circumcised; and you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between Me and you. He who is eight days old among you shall be circumcised, every male child in your generations, he who is born in your house or bought with money from any foreigner who is not your descendant. He who is born in your house and he who is bought with your money must be circumcised, and My covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant. And the uncircumcised male child, who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin, that person shall be cut off from his people; he has broken My covenant" ( Genesis 17:10-14 ).

It is a LITERAL commandment By God.

I doubt it, why? because the apostles, lead by the Holy spirit and NOT the literal word of the Torah, decided that it was not applicable to Gentiles.

They went beyond the written word, they went beywond The Law of God, they went beyond the written word of God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit