What is your definition of a "Fundi" or a Fundamentalist?

by brotherdan 236 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

The point of that story is to show that NO ONE HAS IT RIGHT. No one can have absolute truth. Of course that statement is self defeating and does not make any logicla sense.

That is where my logic is not faulty. None of the blind men understood ANYTHING about what they were touching. So your application that they knew some of the nature of the elephant is incorrect. The blind man was not REALLY touching a wall, a rope, or anything he claimed to touch.

So by the storyteller saying that it IS AN ELEPHANT then he has absolute truth. Without the absolute truth "We are describing an elephant" there would be no story.

I never claimed to completely know the nature of the universe. But I do know about truth. I gave the list displayed by Geisler above. Here it is again for a reminder:

· Truth is discovered, not invented. It exists independently of anyone’s knowledge of it. (Gravity existed prior to Newton)

· Truth is transcultural; if something is true, it is true for all people, in all places, at all times (2+2=4)

· Truth is unchanging even though our beliefs about truth change (When we began to believe the earth was round instead of flat, the truth about the earth didn’t change, only our belief about the earth changed.)

· Beliefs cannot change a fact, no matter how sincerely they are held. (Someone can sincerely believe the world is flat, but that only makes the person sincerely mistaken.)

· Truth is not affected by the attitude on the one professing it. (An arrogant person does not make the truth he professes false. A humble person does not make the error he professes true.)

· All truths are absolute truths. Even truths that appear to be relative are absolute. (For example, “I brotherdan, feel warm on February 17, 2011” may appear relative truth, but it is actually absolutely true for everyone, everywhere that brotherdan had the sensation of warmth on that day.)

• superpunk
    superpunk

Jesus-Yoda knew it was an elephant.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

"An elephant it was".

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The point of that story is to show that NO ONE HAS IT RIGHT.

That is not how I interpret it.

Obi-Wan: [from out of sight] Yoda will always be with you.
    Luke: Obi-Wan.
    [Obi-Wan's spirit approaches Luke]
    Luke: Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father.
    Obi-Wan: Your father... was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and *became* Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view.
    Luke: A certain point of view?
    Obi-Wan: Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

BTS

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    That is not how I interpret it.

Did anyone in the story, besides the storyteller (who by the way has a larger role in the Hindu version of the story) have 1 shred of truth?

• trevor
    trevor
    Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

So true, and our own point of view is constructed to suit our needs and aims. The more we fear death, the more we will construct a belief system that mitigates that fear.

The mind is both wonderful and treacherous but it serves its purpose, which is to navigate a way through life that we find acceptable or at least bearable. I prefer to think of myself as agnostic because it offers the most flexibility.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

But if they are based on your own point of view, then they are not necessarily "truths".

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Did anyone in the story, besides the storyteller (who by the way has a larger role in the Hindu version of the story) have 1 shred of truth?

It says partial truth right there in the last stanza.

At the rate you are going, Brotherdan, you will be an atheist within 5 years--and a hardcore one at that.

I look forward to debating Atheistdan when it happens.

BTS

• bohm
    bohm

must...write...thesis...

BD, i send you a pm.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    At the rate you are going, Brotherdan, you will be an atheist within 5 years--and a hardcore one at that.

I don't see that happening, but who knows. Right now, though, I accept that there are some things for which there IS absolute truth. Faith is important. But it is not everything. And I really believe that you can logically come to the conclusion that there must be a God and that is an absolute truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit