What is your definition of a "Fundi" or a Fundamentalist?

by brotherdan 236 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• superpunk
    superpunk

Yes, in a way that they can relate.

BUT and this is a crucial BUT, we have to be careful as to WHICH voice we are hearing, there is only ONE voice and that is the voice of Christ and that voice CAN NOT lead to pain, fear, hate, intolerance and can ONLY lead to love.

Any othe voice is to be disregarded.

So your solution to conflicting answers to prayers would be that they are not hearing JEsus voice, they are hearing someone else's...whoever that is, and why Jesus can't make himself heard over them, I suppose we'll table for now. It seems odd that this sort of "love-checking" is necessary. The process ought to go, ask Jesus a question, get an answer. But in your solution, you've got to ask Jesus something, get an answer, then love-check it to make sure that this is actually an answer from Jesus and not some imposter-deity who is flitting about giving misleading information.

Obviously the possibility still exists (on possibly trivial matters) that believers can ask for answers, receive two different answers from alleged-Jesus, both answers pass the love-test, but they do both conflict. Therefore the four conclusions still stand, someone is lying, or someone is just making things up, or Jesus is messing with his followers.

IF you're all worshipping the same guy and IF you all purport to communicate directly with him THEN there should not be this conflict of opinion on even the smallest of matters. If the conflict exists, you're all either not worshipping the same guy, not having actual communication with him, or you're all just making it up. Trying to twist your inability to agree into some sort of virtue is just special pleading.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Do you believe God communicates with his followers via prayer?

Last night I made a request, and it was granted in an unexpected way. It wasn't exactly what I had asked for, but it was exactly what I needed.

BTS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

If Someone makes a point about soemthing and I ask m y Lord to hlep me understand and I hear " Hunt that mofu down and beat him with a chair", I can safely assume that is NOT Christ talking to me ;)

However, if I ask my Lord for clarification on something and I hear "read John" or I hear, "Love will guid you, open your heart" or I hear, "trust in me for I am there for you always", then I cna safely say, depending on the situation, that Christ is "answering" my prayers.

Of course if I am drowning and there is a rope that is thrown to me and I hear " Hold on to me and ignore the rope" unless Christ is their in FORM for me to hold on to, I am grabbing that damn rope !!

• sir82
    sir82
    See, it’s a kind of arrogant thing to say nobody can know the truth because it’s a universal truth claim.

A-ha...

But it's not arrogant to say "My religion is true, all other are false, and all their adherents will be tormented in hell for eternity."

Got it - the point is crystal clear now.

• superpunk
    superpunk

Last night I made a request, and it was granted in an unexpected way. It wasn't exactly what I had asked for, but it was exactly what I needed.

However, if I ask my Lord for clarification on something and I hear "read John" or I hear, "Love will guid you, open your heart" or I hear, "trust in me for I am there for you always", then I cna safely say, depending on the situation, that Christ is "answering" my prayers.

Jesus is so vague.

He's like the Yoda of deities.

oh well good talk.

• TD
    TD

For me, one of the best examples of what "Fundi" means and the mindset that "Fundamentalist" describes is embodied in the JW belief that the entire antedeluvian world was vegetarian.

Does it matter that the passages in question are poetic and don't need to be taken literally" No. Not to a fundi

Does it matter that there is direct evidence that predation was going on before man appeared on the scene? No. Not to a fundi. That evidence comes from those same smart-alecks that say, "We done descended from monkeeeeeys."

Does it matter that some animals (e.g. Cats) need amino acids that aren't found in plant life? No. Not to a fundi.

Does it even matter that the idea violates the "Design = a Designer" argument at a very basic level? No. For a fundi, logical axioms are not constant. They exist only as long as you need them and you can forget about them when they become inconvenient.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    But it's not arrogant to say "My religion is true, all other are false, and all their adherents will be tormented in hell for eternity."

This was one of the biggest issues I had with religion, I couldn't fathom the likes of Ghandi going to hell, know what I mean?

But the bible is clear that Christ is the way, the only way, but that he also died for the world, so, what's up?

I believe and to make it clear this is ONLY MY OPINION and NOT DOCTRINE, LOL!, that Christ is the only Way, BUT that Way is not JUST the person of CHrist but the teachings and commandments of Christ.

To love one another as he loved Us, to give of ourselves to others, to do what Matthew 25:31 and so forth say to do.

I believe that anyone that follows the teachings of Christ, even if for some reason have not accepted Christ ( God knows what the reasons are and God knows their hearts, I don't), that the HS is upon them and that they will indeed be saved, be it Jew or muslim or hindi or buddhist or even *gasp* atheist.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

To use the parable, we are blind men only able to sense one part of the elephant.

Who told you it was an elephant? There must be an unbiased storyteller here. You would have to know the entire nature of God to say "You don't know the entire nature of God."

"My religion is true, all other are false, and all their adherents will be tormented in hell for eternity."

That's not unique to Christians. It's not even unique to theists. Atheists say that there is no God and everyone else is wrong. I suppose the ONLY COMPLETELY non-arrogant view is the agnostic view. But even that presumes to say "You cannot know what you think you know."

Basically we all are arrogant because we claim to know what we believe. We don't believe something that we know to be false.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Jesus is so vague.

Yes, he kind of wants us to actually do the "leg work", something about "more rewarding". ;)

He's like the Yoda of deities.

Except for the lightsaber and that sucks !

oh well good talk.

Always my friend :)

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Who told you it was an elephant?

It's a parable, dont'cha know? Pretty soon you will be telling me that the Kingdom of God IS a mustard seed.

There must be an unbiased storyteller here. You would have to know the entire nature of God to say "You don't know the entire nature of God."

Your logic is faulty.

Do you know the entire nature of the Universe? Do I need to know the entire nature of the Universe to say that you do not know it?

Are you a limited human being? Then you don't know the entire nature of God. There is always more to God than we know. I think I can safely stick with that.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit