What is your definition of a "Fundi" or a Fundamentalist?

by brotherdan 236 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    SBC: But the most basic logic tells me that a superhuman, omni-everything god should be capable of conveying his message clearly, transcending time and language barriers without room for contrasting metaphorical interpretations.
    Psac: Perhaps but we are dealing with humans here, right?

Yes, which any omniscient creator of man would have realized and taken into consideration if he decided to share the secret to a successful, happy life.

If this being can establish the physical laws of the universe and create life, then finding a way to communicate with stupid humans so as to prevent any misunderstandings should be a piece of cake.

But as I said on another thread a few minutes ago, none of this really makes much difference. It all comes down to an underlying fact: you have faith and I do not. We are speaking different languages. :-D The good part is that we can accept each other's difference of opinion and move on. That, to me, is lacking in Fundamentalist thinking.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    The good part is that we can accept each other's difference of opinion and move on. That, to me, is lacking in Fundamentalist thinking.

Then why am I a fundamentalist?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Thomas Paine makes an interesting point in "Age of Reason". Paine wrote that a revelation can only be considered valid for the original recipient. When it is then communicated by the recipient to a second person, it becomes hearsay, a secondhand accounting, and consequently the second person is not obliged to believe it.

Dan, Ol' T-Paine makes a pretty strong argument, doesn't he? If I recall correctly, he also applied the above the "hearsay" principle to the scriptures themselves.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

He does. But if, for example, there are scriptures of prophecy that can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to have been written before the event, then don't you have an obligation to review the evidence and not write it off just because the revelation was given to someone else?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Then why am I a fundamentalist?

Dan, I don't recall ever saying you were a fundi.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Oh...

Labels are retarded anyway. I guess that's my answer to my own thread. :-)

I have no reason for posting this picture, but it was funny.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    there are scriptures of prophecy that can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to have been written before the event

I'd love to investigate that possibility and if you can provide proof (reasonably) on this forum, I'll investigate with an open mind. The desire to believe is there, I'm just not familiar with any evidence to support it.

That said, I can't say I'm not slightly put off by the fact you once bailed on one of your prophecy threads after Leo dropped a mountain of evidence against it. http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/201747/4/Biblical-Prophecies-written-BEFORE-fulfillment

No offense, dude, and I'm not trying to dredge crap up. I'm just admitting that I may have a bias there because of it. Providing a worthy rebuttal would help.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I don't remember that per say. But I may not have felt qualified enough for the discussion. You know that I don't usually bail at the first sign of someone disagreeing. In fact, sometimes I over stay my welcome! :-)

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Now I remember. That was THE thread...ouch. Yeah I got heated and let comments affect me wierdly. I will eventually start another thread about Biblical prophecy.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    I will eventually start another thread about Biblical prophecy.

Excellent, because I only skimmed that thread after I realized no Christians were stepping foward to try to refute Leo's 24 inch long post. Research freak, that one. (Meant that as a jealous compliment.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit