What Do You Miss About Being An Active JW?

by minimus 76 Replies latest jw friends

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

I'm a glutton for punishment.

So I miss the countless times being counseled about maybe my hair is getting too long, my tie is too flashy, my being late for meetings, talks about my meeting attendance in the "back room".

I was told many times how the young ones in the congregation looked up to me and how I should be setting an example for them.

Then one Elder hit the nail on the head when he said I was being an example.

An example of what not to do.

Ahhh the memories.

It's almost enough to make me go back and see what all they would like to counsel me on now...lol

• minimus
    minimus

the elder police

• nolongerwaiting
    nolongerwaiting

NOTHING.

NLW's wife

• scotsman
    scotsman

I miss some of the friends I had, sorry that they remain trapped.

But more interestingly to me is that I miss the age range and socio-economic mix of friends I had as a JW. Granted we were friends by necessity but they ranged from teenagers to octogenarians, rich to poor, boorish to cultured. The majority of my friends now are like me, maybe not in background but in terms of cultural values, interests and age (well15yrs either way). Attempting to make friends unlike me would feel rather contrived, potentially patronsing, and I think the only way it happens is when the choice is limited by faith or sometimes geography.

But I miss both these things in a very limited sense.

• factfinder
    factfinder

@Syl- Thank you! I really don't know what to believe anymore.

• wasblind
    wasblind

pot luck dinner after the book study, couldn't concentrate on the lesson

cause the food was smellin' so good

• factfinder
    factfinder

@Shelby- Thank you!

I agree with you that the WTS always undermined my hope and confidence with that "probably you MAY be saved..." . What good is Jesus sacrifice if it will not apply? Unless the gb says it can!

Thank you for your encouragement! I'd like to believe God loves me, but after my experiences in the truth for 30 years its hard for me to wholeheartedly accept. You ask why I stopped loving him? Well to put it simply: my wonderful Mom suffered and died despite my pleas to God to help her. I cannot go into details right now but her doctors did all they can to cause her death and although she fought back a stroke killed her. God caused/allowed it because 6000 years ago 2 people ate fruit he told them not to. So my wonderful Mom had to suffer and die. I made so many sacrifices for Jehovah and still he ignored my pleas. Now I will never get to see my mom again. :(

All I know about God and the Bible is basically from jws. The further I get away from the "truth" the more I find I believe in nothing. Shelby, you quote scriptures that God is love but also say you thank God he freed you from the Bible and beliefs based on it. So if the Bible is wrong so are its descriptions of God, including: God is love.

So I don't know what to believe in anymore.

But I appreciate your kind encouragement towards me! It seems you have beliefs you are happy with and that comfort you and I'm glad for you.

And Syl- thank you too for encouraging me.

• factfinder
    factfinder

@minimus- yes being a jw today is different than it was in the 70's. I remember meetings where we had enjoyable skits and demonstrations, etc. I used to leave the CA feeling encouraged and sad it was over, feeling confident soon the paradise would be here.

Then, the tone of the assembly talks changed in the late 80's- now were were being told we don't do enough. It just seemed each assembly just criticized us. I felt discouraged and was glad it was over! Little by little over the years the good things were taken away and everything became cut and dried and wearisome and boring.

Were these new gb members even in the truth in the 70's?

• blondie
    blondie

Nothing that I haven't found elsewhere of higher quality without the painful cost.

• villabolo
    villabolo

"I still have tons of beautiful suits and ties. I still buy a lot of suits. I just go 2 pairs of jeans for XMas and I still haven't worn them. I never owned jeans, btw."

I think you've been traumatized.

And no, there's nothing to miss:

Like the "friend" who returned some of my stuff because an elder, who was going to be on my Judicial Committee, told him (a non elder) before the JC, that there was trouble brewing with me.

Or hearing the disfellowshipping announcements of friends.

Or the panic attack I got while in field service.

Or the wasted adolescent life I had waiting for Armageddon during the 1970s.

Villabolo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit