What Do You Miss About Being An Active JW?

by minimus 76 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

I missed the frozen vanilla pudding and cheese danishes and dress-up dramas. Then, I found out that they sell that stuff at the store and that the dramas had nothing on rated R movies.

Shelby, wished I'd have known you when I was in.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I miss the sense of security and the hope I had regarding the future, and the appreciation I had for the new books and magazines.

I had no friends there and do not at all miss going out in FS. Most meetings were boring and I could not wait for them to end. The elders didn't like me so I do not miss them.

But I miss the trips to Bethel and seeing the expansion there-what was new.

I miss the hope of seeing my Mom and Dad again in the resurrection.

And I miss the way it used to be back in the late 70's-to early 80's when I actually got some happiness out of being a witness.

• factfinder
    factfinder

And I miss the feeling I had those first several years that God cared about me, before I found out he does'nt.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

This question reminds me of conversations I've had with people that don't have cable television. I'll be relating to them something I saw on Nat Geo, and they'll respond, "I don't have cable." I respond, "considering what I'm paying for it, and what I'm recieving, believe me, you're not missing anything." I guess the same can be said about JWs.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    My heart aches... and breaks... for ALL of the "lonely" people who think God doesn't care about them. That is a lie.

Well said, Shelby.

You go, girl!

I miss the hope of seeing my Mom and Dad again in the resurrection.

That Hope is very much alive, FactFinder.

Revelation 1:18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and now look, I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. NIV

Syl

• minimus
    minimus

Shelby, you are a sweet lady.

Factfinder, you bring up some thought provoking points. The JWs of 2011 is nothing like those 40 or 50 years ago.

We wanted to believe in the resurrection hope because it gave us something to look forward to, something to work for. Ha!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I missed the feeling of certainty for awhile but I have since embraced uncertainty.

I missed some friends during the Super Bowl but don't tell them I said that.

It's a lot harder for my wife. My kid's having a ball, though!

• sinis
    sinis

I miss:

Wearing a tie

Shaving every day

Preparing for talks every week

Having no life

Getting pioneer hours

Staying late for body meetings

The ASSemblies

The acrid rancid smell from the convention bathrooms

Singing

Passing mics

...did I miss anything?

• minimus
    minimus

I'm happy when I see inactive JW kids (due to the parents not going to meetings) enjoy birthdays, Christmas, school (bad) association, etc.

• factfinder
    factfinder

@Shelby- I don't believe God still loves me, if he ever really did.

@Syl- thank you but my jw brother assures me I will not be there to greet my Parent's in the ressurection unless I go back to being an active witness. It is only through the witnesses that I developed the hope of the ressurection but as I realize more and more of things the jws are wrong in- it has made me lose faith in seeing my parent's again too. By not believing anymore as a jw it has taken away everything I gained and left a void. I was not religious before becoming a jw and seem to have fallen back to that. Without the jw beliefs I am left pretty much with nothing but I can't go back to believing the truth as I see now it was not true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit