DO WE NEED TO BELONG TO A RELIGION TO BE A "SPIRITUAL PERSON"?

by foodalls 158 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

Oh, wait! That's me, isn't it? Hope, they're not late w my monthly stipend.

S

• Gerard
    Gerard

Yous are hurtin' his feelins. Just pass the Kool-Aid jug, I'm wearing them sneakers now.

• Gerard
    Gerard

After much thought, foodalls musters his first and most important question to his aliens:

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I don't think you need to belong to or participate in an organized religion to be spiritual. An atheist on this board pointed out that you don't even need to believe in God to be spiritual.

I belong to the Episcopal Church because I felt deep spirituality there, growing up. I returned for the deep spirituality that permeates the buildings and the services, masses and rituals. I feel magic and mystery and roots in the church of my youth. It's a beautiful place. I don't go there for it to influence me. It does move me to want to be shine and give back to the cosmos.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Spirituality will become redundant when the aliens return to planet earth to take over everything this spring.

As Bart Simpson would say " COOL "

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Merely belonging to a religion does not in itself make a person spiritual:

- I have known more than a few regular church goers; all of whom being many things, but being spiritual is not one of them!

Conversely, "membership" of a religion is not an essential prerequisite for being spiritual.

This term "spiritual" is a very broad one, linked with the right-hand hemisphere of the human brain, which encompasses the intuitive / creative / artistic / imaginative type activities:

- and the often at complete loggerheads with rationality / analytic thinking type activities.

Therein be the problem - it makes it all too easy to be captured, controlled and exploited by some religion claiming itself to be "The Truth."

A little controlled silliness here and there may be harmless enough - but when it starts to demand throwing ones life away by refusing essential medical treatment (eg. blood therapy), suicide bombings or the like, then matters have surely gone too far!

So is there a "true" religion?:

- No, and steer clear of anyone who claims to represent such a thing, because such a claim is just a setup for mind control and manipulation.

Bill.

PS:The pity is that most of us here were once under the illusion that being "spiritual" meant hawking Watchtower products around people's doorsteps!

• torrent
    torrent

Still trying to figure this one out myself. The scriptures tell us not to forsake the gathering of ourselves, thus inferring the need to meet. However, I don't think it needs to be in a church or hall where most people are interested in making a showy display than actually learning and growing spiritually. I think this website is one way of gathering, even though there may be some people here that don't want to carry on a mature or serious conversation. I think some people are just too bitter about their experience with the jw's, or maybe they just want to quit on christianity altogether. I was raised in the org, am in my mid-40's, and am inactive. I don't consider any of that wasted time, but rather, just a start to my journey.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Spirituality is needed to uphold a system of beliefs in mankind's ignorance of the world he once lived in.

Thats why as Foodalls states that this year all spirituality on earth today will instantly become redundant

when Extraterrestrial Aliens return to earth to take control of mankind.

Say I have a spare bedroom in my home, do you think one of these Aliens would like to stay with me ?

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

One word..No.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I think you almost have to define spiritual first. To a witness you are consider spiritual if you read a lot of Watchtowers and answer at meeting. In some churches you are consider spiritual if you carry a big Bible quote a lot of scriptures and say amen a lot. I'm sure that non-Christian religions have the equivalent. To me those things seem superficial and more to do with the physical world. I think being spiritual has very little to do with any particular religion but more longing for God or some thing more than this physical world.

I go to the Episcopal Church as a preference. I like going there because there are a lot of ancient traditions yet there seems to be the ability to accept modern ideas such a evolution and treating women as equals (although some are fighting change). I don't go there to be spiritual. I can feel just as spiritual sitting on the beach staring at the ocean. I've met quite a few people that to me seem very spiritual that don't subscribe to any particular religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit