You ever go through extended moments where nothing satisfies you, to the point you wouldn't mind dying?

by miseryloveselders 73 Replies latest jw friends

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Although I agree with the ideas of getting exercise, talking to a therapist, etc. I want you to see a doctor. A real psychiatrist. What is the big deal with seeing a professional who deals with this all day every day? One in four people will suffer a major clinical depression at sometime in their life, and there is no good reason to "tough it out". Some who try that, do take "the only way out". Clinical depressions can be successfully treated with medication, and given the right ones at the correct dosage, you will fell much better in several weeks. I have much experience with this kind of problem, and you must look at it in the same way as any other chemistry problem in the body. The brain is an organ, just like the liver or the thyroid, etc. Those organs sometimes malfunction, as any one of our organs can, and treatment is necessary. Taking medication for depression, or a more serious disorder is really no different than taking insulin for diabetes. If you need it, then take it! It amazes me that people so frequently think that these conditions are treated with recommendations like "get out and see a movie" kind of things.

I agree that mild depressions can be managed with diet, exercise, talking with someone who cares, etc. etc. but I have ready many of your posts, and frankly, you seems to be suffering from more than a mild to moderate depression. Please, please, get some help.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Misery,

I can relate 100% - I keep myself busy to pass the time. I have a couple of friends who are very supportive. I feel incredibly isolated at times and unfulfilled, but I keep going, I have to. You can to. We are all in this together.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Someone posted this on Facebook and I couldn't resist posting it..

"Nursing Home Talent Contest"

Gotta make you smile..

Makes you look forward to all the fun you will have in the Nursing home...almost..

As I cannot post a direct link to the You Tube will someone please post it ?

This is the address:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQHRnWitVU8

Snoozy

• LittleMac
    LittleMac

Dear Misery-

We could definitely talk. The way you described the day you had was funny. I think that the beauty of life is really in the little things. A conversation with a stranger, an odd thing that happens, etc. I don't know how long you have been "in" but the WT doctrine has you always waiting for the "BIG" event(s), like the start of the Great Tribulation or the moment when UN soldiers will capture you and make you renounce Jehovah.

I have those moments when I wonder if anything will satisfy alot in a typical month. Quite often, it takes me a while to figure out what is really bothering me. My short list of typical causes are need for a good night's sleep, (works wonders often), a good balanced meal, or some time spent talking with someone I trust, or writing in a journal, or this format (what a godsend!) to feel connected to humanity. Lately since I don't go to meetings anymore, I've joined a street hockey league- and the soreness I feel afterwards lasts me until Wednesday, so that's a different feeling- but it's good! (In my late thirties)

When you can recognize when you're in that "spot" when nothing is pleasing, then you can see about some sort of solution...whatever it may be, sometimes doing nothing at all is all you can do!

Wish you the best.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Lol Mouthy,I was thinkingthat we'd go on a road trip and end up "in a van,down by da river!"LOl.have a great night,you made me smile today..:)

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Sadness can slip into depression easily. Depression needs an MD to screen you. I suffer depression so I am in therapy and take meds. They make a profound difference. I studied psychoanalytic theory in college so I was against meds in theory. Now I realize how biological and beyond my control depression can be. Exercise helps. If you have serious concerns past a philosophical reflection, see an md stat. It takes time for antidepresants to work. There are other biological treatments now. ECT is much different. Brain stim exists, too.

The meds don't work miracles. They provide me a platform for me to do therapy and go out in the world. I was ill for agonizing pain with a 95%+ suicide rate for decades. Isolation is a big problem. A job would take care of most of my depression as would moving back to Manhattan. I honed a certain persona for myself and it is not living in exurbia with a bunch of dubs.

I had many hospitalizations for the pain. I'd see people suffering so severely lifting a finger was extreme effort. As soon as the meds hit, like the very second, they were utterly transformed. People that did not seem worth caring for b/c they were so insubstantial had riveting personalities. The WTS teaches that shrinks take your will. Another massive lie. I felt a tiny bit of guilt at first but it vanished in no time. If you've never seen a psy doc, no hocus pocus goes on.

Another measure that might be helpful that was recommended for me is to attend AA meetings to get out of the house and be among people who are going through a rough patch too. Most AA meetings are open. Any Twelve Step program has open meetings. Some are closed so you should clarify it before showing up.

Hope you soon feel better. If you are bright enough to seek help as here, you should be okay with self care and a doctor.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Honestly, I don't think you'll get over this depression until you make a decision to either stay or leave the JWs.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's my honest opinion.

Once you make a decision, the load on your shoulders will lift remarkably.

• moshe
    moshe
    so long as I'm not still coughing excessively.

I was extremely sick about 15 years ago- coughing so much I could hardly breath. I remember laying on my sofa thinking, this must be what it feels like when you are near death. I went to the EM a few hours later and they admitted me- low O2 blood levels- I got out after 4 days. It was several weeks later the diagnosos came in- adult Pertussis- whooping cough. I didn't feel so stupid then- it's too bad the 4 Dr appointments I had in 3 weeks before I went into the hospital didn't diagnose what my cough was from. Medicine is not an exact science, so keep at it until you find a Dr who can fix what ails you- good luck.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Megatron threatening to eviscerate Blitzwing as thoroughly as he did Starscream, just didn't bring a smile to my face.

I have that comic! Of course I have all 80 issues of the 4 issue miniseries. Yes I also feel the way you described.

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time. ~Mark Twain

A man's dying is more the survivors' affair than his own. ~Thomas Mann, The Magic Mountain

They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice... that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. ~Socrates

Death is a delightful hiding place for weary men. ~Herodotus

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. ~Norman Cousins

To die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly. Death of one's own free choice, death at the proper time, with a clear head and with joyfulness, consummated in the midst of children and witnesses: so that an actual leave-taking is possible while he who is leaving is still there. ~Friedrich Nietzsche, Expeditions of an Untimely Man

To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.— Albus Dumbledore

Though Death searched for many long years, he was unable to find Ignotus, who successfully hid from Death for a good many years using the Cloak of Invisibility. Finally, when he was a ripe old age and had lived a long and happy life, Ignotus decided to take off the Cloak of Invisibility and gave it to his son. Ignotus then greeted Death as an old friend, and together they departed this world as equals. ~The Tale of the Three Brothers

I knew a man who once said, "death smiles at us all; all a man can do is smile back." ~From the movie Gladiator

No one knows whether death is really the greatest blessing a man can have, but they fear it is the greatest curse, as if they knew well. ~Plato

Suicide is man's way of telling God, "You can't fire me - I quit." ~Bill Maher, on Politically Incorrect, 1995

Suicide is... the sincerest form of criticism life gets. ~Wilfred Sheed, The Good Word, 1978

Death is a release from the impressions of sense, and from impulses that make us their puppets, from the vagaries of the mind, and the hard service of the flesh. ~Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

When I die I shall be content to vanish into nothingness.... No show, however good, could conceivably be good forever.... I do not believe in immortality, and have no desire for it. ~H.L. Mencken

And they die an equal death - the idler and the man of mighty deeds. ~Homer, Iliad

Death a friend that alone can bring the peace his treasures cannot purchase, and remove the pain his physicians cannot cure. ~Mortimer Collins

• ziddina
    ziddina

Ah.....

NO.....

Not since I left the Jehovah's Witnesses...

However, I decided to LEAVE the Watchtower Society when I became so depressed that I was seriously thinking about suicide...

But I've never - NEVER - felt like killing myself, since I've left...

Zid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit