I need a show of hands: who believes the Bible and to what extent?

by Terry 206 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I do not believe in it as either inspired or as a book to be used by men to teach me about an invisible friend.

• wobble
    wobble

As Wozza says above.

I do believe there is a little bit of wisdom and some good advice in there, but no more than any other writings revered as "scripture", and, as with all of them you have to sift through an awful lot of dross to find one small piece of gold.

• Hadit
    Hadit

Prodigal Son's post pretty much sums up my views.

The bible has also done a great injustice to male/female relationships. It completely unbalanced the male/female energies on the planet. It set up a patriarchal society that, much to its shame, endures to this day. Never mind the bloodshed and rape in the name of God and his laws!

I too believe it is a great hoax and a tool used to incite fear and to control the masses.

Hadit

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Hand up for NO.

I beleive the bible is a mess of gobbledegook.

I believe that if it was God's word the least he could have done was present it unadulterated and in real plain unmistakable language, without all the smoke and mirrors, the hallucinations, visions and crap.

Change the names of the leading characters and it would make fantastic fiction movies...wait a second, Hollywood has done that! And NOBODY believes the stories.

The only use i have for it is to use it against those who push it.

oz

• wobble
    wobble

Aussie, are you trying to tell me Suprman is not real ?

I think the Book of Mormon has some good stories in it for Hollywood to adapt.

Both, the Bible and the Bof M, are very poor works of fiction, but Hollywood likes those kind of books to make into films, (Da Vinci Code ?)

• The Finger
    The Finger

I believe the Bible.

There are things I find hard to understand. The flood account with the Angels and Nephilim resulting. I'm assuming Angelic DNA was passed on. Assuming Angels are all male, they have gender? They have hormones? Maybe they weren't angels and we are misreading it maybe some things are allegorical. The bible was written over a long period of time and the limitations of the writers and people of the time must be taken into account when they wrote. Along with my own limitations of thought and understanding, especially with regard to God.

There are things recorded in the bible that have been dismissed only to be found true as more knowledge has become available.

The Bible tells me about Christ and gives hope. Recently a friend lost a close family member in death. She has a strong faith based on the Bible. She believes she will see them again. Her faith is Bible based and is seeing her through a difficult time. Would she be better off without her belief in the Bible and the resurrection hope? I don't think so.

• designs
    designs

Ok Christians and ones hoping to spin Jesus into a Kumbaya all-around mystic- What if your Minister walked across the street from his church into a Jewish Synagogue and told the Rabbis 'You are a bunch of snakes and God doesn't reside in this house of worship anymore because you reject Jesus'.

Would you think your favorite minister had lost his marbles just asking.

Did you ever recall Jesus saying anything nice or upbuilding to the Pharisees. Is your whole view of the Pharisees based on the Gospels...things to ponder.

• finallysomepride
  • THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

The Bible is a very important book. American and European culture have for centuries been based on the Bible.

As a young man I could quote it chapter and verse and find any scripture in seconds. To hold a Bible in my hand was to hold Truth and Life. It still holds enough influence for the great Terry to start a thread asking who believes it :)

Now I see the Bible as a 66 part collection of folklore, myth, conjecture, poetry and deliberate fraud, with the word HOLY stamped on the front. If there is a God he will be weeping!

• streets76
    streets76

Angelic DNA? Whoooaaaa.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit