I need a show of hands: who believes the Bible and to what extent?

by Terry 206 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

As Quentin said:

Is the Bible inspired and inerrant? No. Can you read the Bible and be inspired by it's contents? Yes.

The Bible contains a lot of good stuff, but also is clearly influenced by customs and beliefs of the time and also agendas. Additionally it contradicts itself all over the place.

I trust my own conscience more than any particular interpretation of Bible "truths".

• smiddy
    smiddy

No I don`t beleive the bible, or that it`s inspired by any god

smiddy

• unshackled
    unshackled

The bible: the greatest hoax in the history of mankind.

• LV101
    LV101

I have a great deal of respect for much of the moral code and feel it is hope for man kind's desperate plight. Making application of loving one's enemies, forgiveness, etc., and required faith not always easy. I want to believe it's inspired.

LV101

• designs
    designs

Quentin-

I like the Red Letter Edition as well- 'You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to Hell?' Jesus was such a lovely man.

The Gospels are great reading, I read them every day. Where else can you read about a man who thinks he is God and whips people in the face for having a religious oriented business he dislikes rather than sit with them and discuss as reasonable people do a solution to a perceived problem about their business practices.

Or- 'Look! your house is adandoned to you' again very nice, if got his priorities so screwed up back then how well do you think he will do on Judgement Day.

Heros are hard to come by....

• tec
    tec
    Where else can you read about a man who thinks he is God and whips people in the face for having a religious oriented business he dislikes rather than sit with them and discuss as reasonable people do a solution to a perceived problem about their business practices.

And yet again with your own made-up version of events.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Ding:

"I am an inerrantist -- not a popular position on JWN.

Flame away."

Ezra 1:9-11 New International Version

7 Moreover, King Cyrus brought out the articles belonging to the temple of the LORD, which Nebuchadnezzar had carried away from Jerusalem and had placed in the temple of his god. 8 Cyrus king of Persia had them brought by Mithredath the treasurer, who counted them out to Sheshbazzar the prince of Judah.

9 This was the inventory:

gold dishes 30

silver dishes 1,000

silver pans 29

10 gold bowls 30

matching silver bowls 410

other articles 1,000

11 In all, there were 5,400 articles of gold and of silver. Sheshbazzar brought all these along with the exiles when they came up from Babylon to Jerusalem.

Villabolo

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Gen 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.".. the extent of my beliefs go up to the word "beginning"

• designs
    designs

Tammy-

'So he made a whip out of cords and drove all out of the temple area' John 2:15+ How large was this area and how long did he go on this tizzy fit whirling his whip hitting people and God's little creatures. Now a good Leader and Teacher would have talked to those he disagreed with, reasoning about a better way to do things. Is he going to have the same irrational tizzy fit on Judgement Day.

Someday the bambi glasses will come off, heros are hard to see fall... it was the same in seeing David Splane and the GB for who they really were.

• tec
    tec

Designs -

"""In the temple courts he found men selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. To those who sold doves he said, "Get these out of here! How dare you turn my FAther's house into a market!" """

Seems to me that meant that he drove those men selling cattle, sheep and doves and others exchanging money. It is convenient for you and your stance that you used John, which is not as clear about this point as Matthew and Mark are (even though it says nothing about any children getting hit, or people either for that matter, in fact that is in conflict with his nature, as shown by his rebuking his disciples for trying to shoo children away - and also disputes that they were so eager to go to him):

""" "Jesus entered the temple area and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. "It is written," he said to them, "my house will be called a house of prayer, but you are making it a den of robbers." """

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit