Atheism, the absence of someone to pray to.

by cyberjesus 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

so what do you call proven science?

Steven Weinberg attacks seems to be only with religion and I agree with him, but that does not make an atheism (I know he is one), I understand that the God of bible

"f there is a God that has special plans for humans, then He has taken very great pains to hide His concern for us. To me it would seem impolite if not impious to bother such a God with our prayers." I agree but he is talking about the god of the bible, im talking of the supreme being who started the universe, how did the universe the very first thing to appear in the universe, can anyone answer this? Really do you really thing anyone on this planet has the answer to these question? Like I wrote science can only go so far.

"Premature as the question may be, it is hardly possible not to wonder whether we will find any answer to our deepest questions, any signs of the workings of an interested God, in a final theory. I think that we will not." Thank you Dr Weinberg mentioning again the god of the bible but this answers my question, nobody knows.

"This is one of the great social functions of science -- to free people from superstition."agree

"Relig ion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." agree

Any other atheist scientists you want to quote?

• bohm
    bohm

a contradiction of terms.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Qcmbr, your post above (#1716) is so profound and most excellent. I will slightly add a refinement. Even with physical experiences (a burning bush, an angelic visit, or you've been to Narnia through a wardrobe) you only have good cause for belief if the physical experience left some physical evidence like the altered bush or your video recording of the event (even if others don't think it's real) or an object brought back from Narnia. Otherwise, no matter how real your experience is, it might just be an experience of the mind. I have been there.

Tammy is such a genuine believer and genuine person. I fully understand why you say what you say. It's not just that JWN would drag your experience through the mud if you discussed it, but you really respect that your experience doesn't hold water with people that didn't experience it.

But remember that the matrix is all around us.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

"It is wrong for a man to say that he is certain of the objective truth of any proposition unless he can produce evidence which logically justifies that certainty. This is what agnosticism asserts." - Thomas Huxley

• bohm
    bohm

jojo -- i think those quotes just proved my point(?)

• bohm
    bohm

jojo - my interest in this thread is because i object to this:

atheism resorts to pseudoscience to make the point that god does not exist

instead of going on a wild goose chase, you should perhaps substantiate what you mean. Can you mention a living scientist of some fame (perhaps a nobel winner?) who resort to pseudoscience to proove god does not exist.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

ok ok your right about science, I need to be more careful with my wording, in high school when we did tests with tubes and liquids that was called science because we were testing things, so from now on I will say what has been proven from science.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

jojo - my interest in this thread is because i object to this:

atheism resorts to pseudoscience to make the point that god does not exist

instead of going on a wild goose chase, you should perhaps substantiate what you mean. Can you mention a living scientist of some fame (perhaps a nobel winner?) who resort to pseudoscience to proove god does not exist.

What I am saying is very simple, could you prove or disprove god?

• bohm
    bohm

jojo, well, i would just leave "prove" out and use "demonstrated" or "emperically supported" or somesuch. The language is actually very clear and easy:

Mathematicians assume certain axioms and use these to derive proofs of theorems.

Scientists perform experiments to provide evidence for ideas/theories/hypothesis.

to paraphrase Feynman, science start when you distrust the experts; its impossible to distrust something which has been proven.

• bohm
    bohm

jojo -- no ofcourse not. But thats my point, you cant prove the earth orbit the sun because its a scientific and not mathematical claim. its simply not how science works....

To cut to the hearth of the matter, can you provide some evidence to support your claim about pseudoscience. i think its fair to ask you to provide evidence to support it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit