Atheism, the absence of someone to pray to.

by cyberjesus 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec
    tec: belief not based on evidence does weigh us down since we have to finds ways to justify the beliefs

Perhaps - but I have evidence for my beliefs; just not evidence that you (or others) can or will accept.

But at the end of your sentence you say 'justify the beliefs'

Justify to whom?

Tammy

• beksbks
    beksbks

Anyone whose mind you want to change

When I left the JWs, I always said I had no more right to try to change thier mind, than they had to try to change mine, or anyone else's. We all get through this life the best we can. Tammy you and several other people on this site I have no desire to discuss this subject with. You are kind decent people who seem more than able to have your faith without condemning others. Who are not hypocritical as so many others here are. I'll happily argue with them, because I see them as false to their own supposed beliefs.

Goodnight gang

• tec
    tec

I'm feeling combative tonight. I should just go to bed too!

:)

Tammy

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

beksbks: Joey no, atheism is not a belief. It is a lack of belief.

belief definition :-

1 The mental act, condition, or habit of placing trust or confidence in another:

2 Mental acceptance of and conviction in the truth, actuality, or validity of something.

3 Something believed or accepted as true, especially a particular tenet or a body of tenets accepted by a group of persons.

You believe in men, in science so it'a belief, I think you mean a lack of faith which is different.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

tammy: When we believe something so strong and other people challenge us to show proof of its evidence, since we lack the ability to show proof then we justify it to ourselves. you say you have enough evidence but I wont accept it. therefore that evidence is good for you and you only.

lets say that you can die of drinking too much water, you challenge me to prove it. I can either show you proof if I have it. or if I dont have it then I can tell you that you wont accept my evidence at that moment I will be justifing it. Even with a proven fact that Water could kill you.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

jjj what do you call a lack of belief? disbelief? ok then I am God disbeliever "

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

a religious person is a science disbeliever, but what do you call an agnostic?

But atheism goes beyond science just as much as religious people go beyond what can be proven.

• beksbks
    beksbks

No Joey, belief implies some sort of action. I just don't believe. Would you say that those who don't believe in the Tooth Fairy, hold a belief? I wouldn't. You are defining it from a believers point of view (by that I don't mean that you yourself are a believer). If you have a glass of water on a desk, and you have another desk without a glass of water, do you describe that desk as being absent a glass of water? Of course not, it simply is.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

joey agnostic is no knowledge.

I believe today is gonna rain

I dont believe today is gonna rain

I dont know if today is gonna rain

I believe in God

I dont believe in God

I dont know God

I believe Santa Exist

I dont believe Santa Exists

I dont know santa exists

• tec
    tec
    therefore that evidence is good for you and you only.

I know that. But it doesn't mean that I cannot share my thoughts, my faith, and my perspective - to help others perhaps consider something they had not considered before. What others do with that is up to them.

a religious person is a science disbeliever

Untrue.

Beks, didn't you say you were going to bed?

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit