Atheism, the absence of someone to pray to.

by cyberjesus 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• A.Fenderson
    A.Fenderson

@Terry: I agree with what you've said here, in the abstract. However....

When a theist goes so far as to describe their deity in great detail, outlining his supposed qualities, powers, etc, then at that point, one is able to take the implications that such a deity would have on the world, and contrast and compare this to the world our senses present to us. When we find blatant, irreconcilable differences in these two universes--the one our senses indicates and the one this god would imply--we are able safely to say "This version of god does not exist, and in regards to it, I am an atheist." All the while realizing, of course, that this is an "opinion", but based on positive evidence of how the perceivable universe exists in utter contrast to this god's supposed qualities and powers, and not based merely on lack of direct evidence of the god's existence.

• Terry
    Terry

The game is rigged from the start.

By placing "God" in a special category from the get-go "outside of time and space" Theists pulled the rug out from under logical and rational thought related to evidence, proof and reality.

All this is done purely by imputing whatever qualities the imagination can conjure and assigning them to a KING'S X zone immune to debate rooted in the usual rules of fallacy and logic.

"I have a pet Bigfoot."

"Where?"

"In my garage."

"Let me see it."

"He's invisible."

"How do you know it's there, then?"

"Faith."

"How can you have faith in something you can't see?"

"That's the nature of faith--if you have proof you don't need faith."

"But, where did this faith come from in the first place?"

"Bigfoot chose me. I alone can hear him."

"Why you?"

"My heart is receptive to his voice."

"Can you blame me for being skeptical of what you say?"

"It is that sort of skepticism which makes you deaf and blind to the wonders of Bigfoot!"

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

I believe that if a debate like this ever ended up at court, the agnostic would win the case because religion and atheism can only go so far.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Terry: thanks for your analogies, they are always very useful. I wish more people would could free themselves from the chains of "belief"

• tec
    tec
    I wish more people would could free themselves from the chains of "belief"

There are no chains in my belief, but thank you for your concern.

Tammy

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

When we have a belief that we can not let go even if we dont have any evidence for it.... we are chained to it. it doesnt have to be Theism it can be any kind of belief.

I showed my mother last week that homeopathy (a family preferred medicine) had zero value, zero scientific evidence, she only responded that she felt better when she took it and thats all she needed to believe it.

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

atheism is a belief

• tec
    tec

Then I mistook what you meant by chains. Chains symbolize to me something that ties you to what you don't want to be tied to, both imprisoning and weighing you down.

Tammy

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus
    When we have a belief that we can not let go even if we dont have any evidence for it

JJJ: so taking your statement that Atheism (lack of belief in God) is a belief.... I can only tell you that if I find enough evidence to believe in a God then I will loose my disbelief in a God...

tec: belief not based on evidence does weigh us down since we have to finds ways to justify the beliefs

• beksbks
    beksbks

Joey no, atheism is not a belief. It is a lack of belief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit