Atheism, the absence of someone to pray to.

by cyberjesus 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I was talking several days ago with a Believer who was telling me what an atheist is. I personally do not have any Gods, therefore I consider myself an atheist. However this person was telling me that an atheist says there is no God.

Well I dont. I dont say that. and I consider myself an atheist. So trying to explain my position one more time i came up with the following:

Do you pray?, Do you believe that if you pray things will get better? Do you have someone to directs your prayers to?....... Well I dont. I dont have a Deity or a special "someone" "somewhere" in the universe. Thats why I consider my self with no God. Atheist.

An Atheist is someone who just doesn't believe that someone will listen to his prayers, therefore doesnt pray.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

You mean like talking to an imaginery playmate (as some kids do).

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I would call it talking to an invisible friend who live either in the space or everywhere.

• The Finger
    The Finger

I think you just need to find your faith again

• ILTSF
    ILTSF

I've never considered an atheist being someone who doesn't pray. I'm an atheist myself, and I call myself such because I believe there is no god.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I still talk to myself. Does that count?

• tec
    tec

This issue always seems like semantics to me, and atheism seems to mean different things to different people.

*shrugs*

Tammy

• Satanus
    Satanus

A person who believes that their ancestors might help, he might pray to them, burn incense to them, etc. They aren't gods. The person also might not believe in god, thus, a praying atheist. Not to give you hard time about this. Just rambling. It's a deliberate ignorance on the part of those theists that they refuse to see where you are coming from. Some believers like to put everyone in proper boxes. You don't fit in the box that they have for you, too bad for you. They know better than you what you believe, etc (so they think).

S

• tec
    tec

Asked my husband to define atheism - he thought for a moment, then said 'godlessness.'

Not denying the existence of God, just being without belief in God. Or gods, etc.

I think that's what you're saying, CJ, right?

Tammy

• Satanus
    Satanus

Umm, so, are you saying that, while there might be a god, somewhere, somewhen, for you, there isn't? For instance, zeus may have retired to a quiet platial villa in the mediterranean? Or, yhwh moved away from the pleides to a more interesting nebula where he could help stars in the process of being born?

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit