KM (Elder School) Brief Highlights

by XBEHERE 104 Replies latest jw friends

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Blues Brothers:

To answer your question: Your A levels would be considered high school in North American and is still considered basic education, not necessarily college prep, although the courses one takes in high school can be college prep or trade prep or neither. They would all obtain the same diploma The higher education that the society is ranting against is university degrees.

Youths can drop out of high school at age 15 here in Canada, after what would be considered junior high school. This is highly looked down upon here and disqualifies one for almost any jobs, even entry level, unskilled jobs. Cleaning and other physical, unskilled laborers would be the most that is open to someone without high school diploma.

At one time, in the 1970's youths could drop out of high school at age 15 and enter an apprenticeship, trade or get an unskilled job. Many witness families did encourage their kids to drop out, get menial jobs, and pioneer. Many collected welfare or unemployment insurance and pioneered which became quite an embarrassment to the society a few years later when the rules for collecting such benefits were severely limited to prevent such abuses. After that point, JW children were not encouraged to drop out of high school (your A levels) but to finish so they could at least support themselves.

A few years later, it was even recognized that higher education was needed for many jobs that in the past were not required. So, the social sanctions were lightened up a bit, but, because the society found that almost everyone who attends college leaves the organization, they have gone back to their former hard line stance against college/university.

Nowadays, every skilled trade in Canada requires high school completion to enter. Even McDonald's expects youths to be attending school before they will be hired part time.

• VM44
    VM44

• The Internet is a Threat to The Watchtower!
    • Going to College is a Threat to The Watchtower!
    • Independant Thinking is a Threat to The Watchtower!
    • Asking Questions is a Threat to The Watchtower!

Is there a pattern here?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Has The Watchtower ever stated in print that a college education "has no value" at all?

Not quite, but remember this?

9. Another example of something useful that can become a valueless thing is secular education. We want our children to be well-educated so that they can make their way in life. Even more important, a well-educated Christian is better able to read the Bible with understanding, reason on problems and come to sound conclusions, and teach Bible truths in a clear and persuasive way. Getting a good education takes time, but it is time well spent.

10. What, though, of higher education, received in a college or a university! This is widely viewed as vital to success. Yet, many who pursue such education end up with their minds filled with harmful propaganda. Such education wastes valuable youthful years that could best be used in Jehovah's service. (Eccl. 12: 1) Perhaps it is not surprising that in lands where many have received such an education, belief in God is at an all-time low. Rather than looking to the advanced educational systems of this world for security, a Christian trusts in Jehovah. -Prov.3:5.

- w.2008, 4/15 - 'Repudiate "Valueless Things"' par. 9, 10.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

What VM44 calls a pattern, to me looks like more and more holes busting through a dam. i just hope the dam breaks and crashes down on the watchtower society. in the information age its hard to cover up lie after lie after lie after lie after lie after lie.

• pirata
    pirata
    A few years later, it was even recognized that higher education was needed for many jobs that in the past were not required. So, the social sanctions were lightened up a bit, but, because the society found that almost everyone who attends college leaves the organization, they have gone back to their former hard line stance against college/university.

Even if they don't leave, a college-graduate is less likely to pioneer (which was the whole purpose of education, supporting yourself as a poineer....)

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

Has anybody seen the last two questions that came out of the elders school?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I think the last two questions should have been:

• Does the brother insist on going to "worldly university educated" doctors for medical care, or does he rely on the scriptural understanding that it is the prayers of the elders that will make the indisposed one well?
    • Does the brother insist on driving a car that was designed by "worldly university educated" engineers, or does he ride a makeshift bicycle constructed by high-school kids?
  • Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I too have an obsession with completeness (or is it a compulsion?). Anyway, just a reminder that we only have 8 out of the 10 questions from the school. See below from stuckinamovement:

" Pursue Divine Education"was the talk. Some key points are:

Ask yourself the question, "am I secretly hoping to prove wrong the warnings that have been given regarding Higher education?"

Am I trusting in Jesus words at Matt. 6:33? Manna was a not just a gift of food to the Israelites it was a lesson that God will take care of any need that we have. Higher education such as a college or university education has no value, it's expensive, and a sign of a lack of faith in Jehovah if you encourage your children to pursue. Look at Baruch's example and how he was seeking great things for himself. Printed Experience from a "brother" who went to college. He said, "I am incredibly sad that I wasted those years in college" College is a snake pit.

If an appointed man's children attend college, or if he encourages higher education his qualifications would automatically be reviewed by the entire BOE using the following questions. It is likely that he would no longer qualify for the privilege of service.

1. Does he show by his example that he is putting the Kingdom 1st?

2. Does he teach his family to put the Kingdom 1st?

3. Does he respect and obey what has been published by the FDS?

4. Do his speech and conduct reveal that he is a spiritual person?

5. How is this decision or attitude viewed by the congregation?

6. Why is his child pursuing higher learning?

7. Does his Family have theocratic goals?

8. Does this pursuit of learning push out meetings and service?

I am missing the last two questions.... does anyone else have them?

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Ask yourself the question, "am I secretly hoping to prove wrong the warnings that have been given regarding Higher education?"

This sort of thing was really starting to bug me by the time I left...........Why do the Governing Body and all the men with power always impute wrong motives to the flock?

If you dare to question or wonder about something, they automatically assume you are driven by selfish, haughty motives or are not a spiritual person.

• TD
    TD
    Is there a pattern here?

Yes, and it does not look good for the JW's, at least in the U.S.

The types of classes offered at the high school level have changed significantly in the last 20 odd years. Required phys. ed. credits have been drastically cut. Industrial arts classes of any type have virtually disappeared in many areas. (Most high schools don't even offer an AutoCAD class, which irks me, but that's a different story.) Ditto for arts and crafts.

This void has been filled by Humanities, Anthropology, Current Issues, Earth Science (With a heavy emphasis on geology) and other classes providing far more integration with the college environment. It's possible for a student to graduate with more than a year's worth of college credits if they take the right classes.

Even without going to college, students today are exposed to the types of classes that are eye-opening for those reared with a closed world-view.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit