Feb. 15 Study WT - More creationism and stupidity - A response

by eric356 109 Replies latest watchtower bible

• simon17
    simon17

BEXJW: So, suppose that I asked you to prove to me that the theory of plate tectonics is true. No, no links. Don't tell me to look somewhere else. Just prove it by writing something in this thread.

How ridiculous would that be? It can't be done like that. Groundbreaking science, that gives rise to a comprehensive theory like evolution (or gravity, or plate tectonics, or planetary motion) come from the analysis of incredible amounts of data from different fields of expertise. It comes from studies and experiements. It comes from predictions that are confirmed by observation. You can't just prove it like you can a mathematical identity in a few nice lines. If YOU want to give it a chance, then YOU have to go read all the reasons why it is logical, sensible, and explanatory of large sets of data from varous fields without exception.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

I'm not being self-righteous

No, you aren't. You are apparently just stupid.

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Simon17,

There has been much written here that claims to disprove the Bible's worth, creation, and the existence of God. Are you now saying that nothing can be written on this same forum that can prove evolution? Interesting. Evolution cannot be proven on this forum but the non-existence of God can be?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    it's just that evolutionists can't explain it all.

GASP!

-Sab

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

nvl,

You call me stupid when you yourself are unable to prove your own claim. lol

Play games all you want. Prove your claim. Give, in your own words, your proof of evolution.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Play games all you want.

Oooo! Ooo!

I call Scrabble!

-Sab

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Sab,

Yeah, I want it all. No stops and starts.

• simon17
    simon17

Simon17,

There has been much written here that claims to disprove the Bible's worth, creation, and the existence of God. Are you now saying that nothing can be written on this same forum that can prove evolution? Interesting. Evolution cannot be proven on this forum but the non-existence of God can be?

DISPROVING something is actually a much easier thing to do than proof. Have you never taken a science course? If you found human bones right there in the same rock strata as dinosaurs, and it was shown that they dated to the same time, you would just need that one bit of confirmed evidence to blow an entire theory to shit. Go out and do a measurement of the effect of the acceleration due to gravity on an object. If its confirmed that you show something not accelerating at 9.8 m/s^2 in a vacuum here on earth, you can disprove gravity. Thats the great thing about science: theories are as stong as they are because their very existence means the evidence hasn't ever disproven them. Things just keep seeming to fit.

Having said that, I highly doubt you will find any scientific mind that will ever say they can DISPROVE that god exists. Richard Dawkins would tell you that. Christopher Hitchens would tell you that. Any athiest worth a damn will not sit and say I can prove that god doesnt exist.

You can show very compelling evidence showing errency in the Bible accounts. You can show very compelling evidence to show why the creation account is not correct. You can show very compelling evidence why the earth is not 6000 years old. You can throw those hypothesis out, scientifically.

And of course you can't PROVE anything 100% anyway. It is only something that is proven to the extent that it hasn't been disproven. Does gravity exist? Every experiment we have ever done since it was hypothesized says it does. Is it "proven"? Well, could God just be making everythin look like there was gravity and tricking us? Could we be in a Matrix-like simulation with no real physical laws? I suppose.... but it is HIGHLY unlikely. The same goes with the traditional creationist idea.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Yeah, I want it all. No stops and starts.

I'll comprimise on the starts, but I aint givin' on the stops.

-Sab

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Evolution cannot be proven on this forum but the non-existence of God can be?

hang on, bxjw... i've never seen anyone on this forum claim to be able to prove the non-existence of a superhuman deity. if someone did, they were being a moron because we really can't prove something of that nature doesn't exist anymore than you can prove the non-existence of unicorns. (now someone can prove that the bible-described god doesn't exist because he's self-refuting in definition but nobody can prove the non-existence of the supernatural realm or all possible - though highly improbable - entities.)

the fact that you aren't considering that indicates you are still prejudiced against science... not that you lack the capacity to understand it but you just haven't taken the time to do so, and instead remain attached to an old presupposition. why? put away the prejudice. if you do your homework and you still balk at evolution, that's one thing. but if you haven't done your homework and you're pooping on it in advance... do yourself a favor and read up on the principles of critical thinking - something JWs are shielded from - and then start over from scratch. this is not a "i'm smarter than you" remark. i'm ignorant and I've accepted that. but learning the fundamentals of critical thinking is what helped me to figure that out.

start with a book on critical thinking and go from there. what have you got to lose?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit