Are you suspicious of LURKERS?

by VampireDCLXV 97 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

...always liked tit for tat, seems like a good trade off

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

No problem Gregor. I thought it would look weird if I didn't at least say what it was you posted.

BTW YOU might have been able to see the image because it was in your cache (browser memory) but the rest of us just got the Tripod notice. I had to grab the image properites and the URL and open it in another window to see what it was

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

I was a lurker until 8 days ago. Used to read a lot as a guest. I think 99% of the lurkers are people like me, on the verge of DA or DF. They build up they doubts and their hatred towards the Flimsy and Disgusting Slavedriver and one day they just go and tell their elders to screw off. Then they come back here, register and share their experiences. That's what I did. I became an apostate and I'm damn proud of it!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Wow, thanks, DagonThur!! That is a great explanation of what many lurkers must be going through!!

• FadeToGrey
    FadeToGrey

Hey Guys. I Guess i am a lurker too!

I would post alot more but i read the forums form my Iphone a work. And when i get home dont really sit in front of the computer much at all.

I read on the sofa, watching tv mostly.

I am more the read and listen type person.. I do see alot posting here all the time. I dont know were you get the time from.

but then if i could post from this damned iphone i would be no here more.

I only longed in at work now cos i felt i had to say this or i would jus forget later.

I signed up so i could read the personal stuff type post's.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I'm probably an "against the grain" lurker. I signed up over a year and a half ago, and I don't have that many posts. I've been out over 12 years, and don't believe for a minute that posting on here is wrong, nor am I shy. I signed up because I had something to post (don't have a clue what) and I had to be a member to post. When I have something to say, I say it. When I don't, I just don't post. A lot of the time it is because someone has already said what I was going to say, and I hate redundancy.

In addition to this site, I also belong to a parenting website, having joined almost 8 years ago that I visit daily. With the exception of an ongoing thread with actual people I've met, I probably haven't even made 100 posts in the 8 years. I guess lurking is just part of my online personality.

• Ding
    Ding

I often wonder if the things we cover and the way we discuss them are helpful to lurkers.

Could any of you lurkers who've just posted here comment on that, please?

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Yeah, frankly why care?

• ReallyTrulyAthena
    ReallyTrulyAthena

This is a thought-provoking query. Thanks for opening the lines of discussion.

I was incredibly shy as a young girl and though I've become more extroverted in many ways as I grew up/after I was DF'd, I still revert to that more quiet, introverted personality at times. It was "safer" (for me) to be quiet. To hope no one noticed me, thus hopefully escaping any judgment or criticism (or eventual abandonment) from others in the Hall. Sooooooo, I guess that shyness manifests itself in my online personality as well by my lurking more than posting.

I read - a LOT - both in the "real world" and here as well. I don't always "comment" all that much in real life either. Gotta feel safe first. I've never been part of a big online forum like this before, so I'll admit to "finding my footing" in the crowd. Like others, sometimes I don't have much to add to an already well-rounded discussion topic. At other times, I feel a little intellectually intimidated on some of the more Biblical/Philisophical/Scientific threads (and those are my feelings I need to deal with, no one else makes me feel that way. I truly am not trying to project "my stuff" on others or say, "Hey! You people stop being so S-M-R-T!") So while I may lurk more often than not, due to a combination of factors, I continue to read, learn and "de-program", finding solace in the fact that there are others who have had their lives affected by the WTBTS. I'm not alone (thank goodness) and for that, I'm grateful to this community.

Also, I've expressed to some "worldlies" that for most of my JW life, I was told who to be, how to act, what I should and should not do (so much so that I intensely dislike the word "should") - that I appreciate being able to "Just Be Me". To not have to subsume myself in order to "be accepted", to have the freedom to be an individual, to express myself as much (or as little) as I like, to do so without guilt or fear of not meeting anyone else's rules or regulations...it's a relief.

Back to the subject at hand - I really do think V665 brings up a valid question.

There ARE betrayers out there. In my years leading up to finally registering, I've seen some folks come up on this board...take in information...and then throw it back in that person's face. Those who lie in wait, who watch (lurk), who take vital, precious information that has been shared by those in need and shared in a layer of trust....and then those very same people act like Judas and sell you down the river for a few bits of coin. I worry about that as a non-JW, too. In fact recently I realized how far I've come on my Journey....but also know I still have HUGE trust issues due to all the betrayals experiened within "the Truth".

But I recently asked myself the same question before this topic was posted, so talk about this being a "co-inky-dink" - why did I sign up here, if only to find myself NOT posting so much? Who am I? What am I doing here? I'll admit also that by sharing my story (scary to take such a big step, even after all this time!), starting to share my feeble thoughts and stepping further out of that old JW personality....it brought up some emotions that I thought I dealt with. I'm scared. I'm skittish. I'm.....hiding behind the wall-paper again. Not due to anyone here, but due to the baggage and nonsense I still carry around. But I'm working on it. By coming here, I had/have some needs that I obviously need to address. By registering, posting and seeing myself here amongst others who've had a similar story, it got me to look at myself and say, "What is it you are feeling now? Why are you feeling this way?" From there, I'm able to address my issues and further heal.

I can't say I would've been able to do that "deeper dive" into my Self if I hadn't come here and experienced being part of this community.

Sorry for the long post! See, I don't post much but sometimes when I do....yadda yadda yadda, huh? LOL Well, I hope my response didn't sound defensive or overly-sensitive. That's not my intent. And I'll admit to being a passionate person who's very in touch my emotions (sometimes to my detriment).

V665 has opened the door for me to express what I've been feeling recently about lurking/posting. I guess I needed to hash out how I want to be part of the community and while being extremely appreciative of this welcoming community, I found myself in the position of still needing to maintain who I am and feel safe while doing it. Again - none of you are putting this on me...I still have a lot to work on.

Thank you for posting this topic. You've given me much to think about.

• moshe
    moshe

-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit