S.O.S.

by AGuest 138 Replies latest jw friends

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Shelby I think you have to be bold enough to say to this person 'we need to talk'....then before mentioning the 'problem' as Bro Dan suggests...commend the things that you can....then say 'there is a problem though that needs some attention....' then just be direct and honest ...but kind...offer suggestions/help? You have to get across that it is a real problem...even that maybe there have been some complaints from staff/clients?

There isnt anything else you can do, is there? For me personally it's one of the worst things ...I just cant have in depths with people who have this issue without being nauseous....good luck...

Loz x

• Scully
    Scully

I agree with brotherdan and grandmajones.

Lots of genuine praise to start with... then "it has come to my attention..." (meaning that you aren't the only one who has noticed) "I'm just going to say it, because there is no delicate way to put this, but a lot of people, co-workers and clients, have described your breath as offensive. I don't want to embarrass you... but sometimes there's a medical basis for it, so please have it checked out as soon as possible - your health is too important to ignore. In the meantime... you know that little gift of mints/gum/candy I placed on your desk?? Please use them... if only to take the edge off, as a courtesy to your colleagues." Then pile on more genuine praise.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You can start the talk with being so serious about a matter, that when you tell him about the bad breath he should be glad that it wasn't about being "let go" from the company.

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you all have peace! With the exception of Sir Smarty-Pants' (peace to you!), your responses are great and I will try to incorporate them all (except, we don't actually offer dental, dear TD - peace to you, as well! - rather, we're paid an additional 15% of salary to be used toward whatever: medical, dental, vision, 401(k)). So it's up to the employee as to what benefits he/she will take advantage of)...

As for Mr. S-Pants... please note that my Lord wouldn't have noticed it considering the many odors that existed, lingered, and were endured by him during his day in the flesh. This is probably roses (okay, daisies) compared to the bodily and other odors folks endured back then, particularly due to the scents put off by many of the sick/infirm... and, of course, the animals.

For ME, however, it's another story. Although I, too, have become accustomed to the very "sterile" world we have begun to make for ourselves these days, so that "everything" absolutely MUST smell like it's been "Oust[ed", I can also take the "usual" stuff (drifting past a large cattle farm during 80+ degree weather; rancid brackish seawater; [little] doggie poo...).

This, however, is beyond me. The only thing that has come close is baby poo. Unfortunately, I don't "doo" that so well, either, these days.

DOUBLE peace to you all... and THANK you!

SA, on her own

P.S. I ate my lunch when he left for his... so I'm no longer about to faint. Upchuck, maybe. Faint... nope. Going to talk to him, now...

[Edited to add: Ah, well, no talk today. When I went to do it he snuffled, then blew loudly into a [very] spent tissue... then snorked and coughed. Had been doing it all morning. So... I sent his butt home! Now, I'm thinkin'... mayhaps a [very bad] sinus infection?? I don't recall his breath smelling so bad, say, a couple weeks ago. It does seem to be a fairly recent matter. Told him do NOT come back until he was well. Seriously...]

• wasblind
    wasblind

Aguest, call me a wus

but I'm so glad I'm not in your shoes in this situation

my heart truly goes out to you. Keep us posted on how

things went my friend

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Maybe he`s Drinking from the Wrong Water Fountain..

............................. ...OUTLAW

• asilentone
  • asilentone
    asilentone

Buy Healthy Healing Book by Linda Page, Go to page 332 for alots of suggestions on what to do with Halitosis.

• Too Opinionated
    Too Opinionated

Yup, sinuses will definitely do it. Also gum disease. That can be so bad that it's almost putrid. Mints won't help, I'm afraid.

You are really doing him a kindness.

• tec
    tec

Shelby, I feel for you, I really do. I am also with Wasblind, a total wus who is glad she is not in your shoes!

However, I think the advice to be gentle and professional is the best advice. And don't get embarrassed yourself, because I would think that would embarrass the person even more.

Now, upon reading the update, I would suggest holding off for a week or so after he comes back to work, in case it does have to do with him being sick. Perhaps you won't have to speak to him about it at all :)

Peace also to you,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit