Does The Name Really Matter?

by AGuest 189 Replies latest jw friends

• donuthole
    donuthole

A name is not simply a grouping of sounds it is a person's nature, character, and authority. When Christ was on earth many individuals shared his very common name yet his Name alone was elevated above all others. As an english speaking American from the Midwest I have known him as Jesus and he calls me by name. I have personally witnessed unclean spirits submit to the authority of the Name of Jesus. His Name is powerful, again not the specific arrangement of sounds as if this was some magic word but as an appeal to authority of the one behind name who has been given authority over all in heaven and earth. Knowing the correct pronunciation of the name is not some secret password to get through the door to the path of life. What is important is knowing the person, his nature, character, and authority.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Amen!

Blessings,

Stephen

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

*yawn*

Does The Name Really Matter?

NO

And here's why:

If it was such a big frickin deal to know the absolute correct form of the name, then God would have blasted it into the side of a stone mountain (sorta like he made the tablets for the 10 commandments from) and then HE would have posted angels(Cherubs) to guard it so that no one was allowed to change it or tamper with it in any way,shape or form. It would always be there for the world to see or go check out and there wouldn't be all this wrangling over what the correct spelling or pronunciation of it was/is.

If it was such a big deal to Him to guard the tree of life by stationing two angels with a whirling sword outside the garden of Eden, then it should only be fair to assume if it was as big a deal to him as what name to call him, that he'd keep it some place safe with a couple guardians that no human could beat.

Instead of depending on some human to correctly ascertain in a dream,vision or some hallucination what that name is and to get others to listen to them or believe their sayings.

• AGuest
  • debator
    debator

The bible clearly makes a massive issue of God's name

joel 32:10 Matt 6:9

Isaiah 52:6
    Therefore my people will know my name;

but in Aguest case I would ask why the apostles were inspired in to be able to speak all different languages modern and ancient (tongues) without it diluting the message but you need to go back to Ancient hebrew in usage? that is a backward step biblically!

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa, apparently God did not see it as you do. He did not see the need to make sure the Tetragrammeton was preserved in the NT (assuming it was ever there in the first place). He did however, see fit to preserve the name if Jesus in the NT...so that even the JWs own New World Mis-Translation has the name Jesus well over 900 times in the NT, compared to 237 for Jehovah.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

StoneWall

Such logic absolute can confute.

For once AGuest is dumb-founded.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet.

~Juliet (William Shakespeare)

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

but yes, the Bible does show the importance of names, but not the proper noun, rather the person behind the letters.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Debator/Reniaa..

I doubt Aguest/Shelby wants to call God by a name..

That is a Recognised 14th Century Catholic Translation mistake.

"Jehovah"..

Which you Whole Heartedly accept..

Biblicly the name "Jehovah" is a Mistake..

Using the name Jehovah is not a step forward..It`s Stupidly accepting something that is WRONG!..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit