Does The Name Really Matter?

by AGuest 189 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

It is evident that shua does not mean savior in Hebrew. Shua and shuah are both Canaanite words and do not come from the Hebrew language.

Perhaps that is true, dear Freydo (peace to you!). But given that Abraham was a Hebrew... and Canaan was the land given to him and his progeny... perhaps the Hebrews/Israelites adopted it as one of their words at some point?

In order to find the true name of our Savior we should look up these three Hebrew words: save, savior, and salvation........."

I did that and the Hebrew letters that transliterate as "shua"... are three of the five letters in the Hebrew word for "salvation". I tried to post them here but they came out as questions marks, so...

May I ask... what name do YOU come up with?

Otherwise, since I TRULY do not want to get into yet another discussion regarding ancient languages, particularly Hebrew to Greek to English... or any variation of that, I am going to stop here.

I bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• donuthole
    donuthole

[post removed by me]

• AGuest
    AGuest

Well, I had written out a long explanation, dear Donuthole (peace to you!)... and counter to your belief that this is wrong teaching. I did it as kindly and lovingly as I could. And you know me, it was a bit lengthy. And then, the word of my Lord occurred to me... that I am to say to you, "The word of our Lord to you... is get behind me, once and for all." He said that I am to tell you that if you have any concerns with what he has directed me to say... or what you are to do... to come to him... for he will explain to you that you are not in MY way... but his.

I openly professed that I did and do not know these things, dear DH. I also openly professed from whom I received them. Apparently, he gave me this knowledge and understanding for a purpose... for I did not have it on my own... and I am using such for that exact purpose, HIS will... just as HE has directed me. How do YOU know but that he isn't calling out the "intellectual" ones? You do not.

And so your assumption that this is a "wrong teaching" is now between you and him. I am just a good-for-nothing servant... his... yours... the Household of God, Israel... those who go with... and my fellow conversationalist on the subject. And I shared what I was given and directed to share. Any issues you have with that you must take up with him.

Again, I bid you peace.

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

P.S. I started to remove my response, in light of your change of heart... but was not permitted. The word of our Lord to me is "I have said what I have said, and I have directed you. Listen to ME." And so, it must stand.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Coggie snickers at OTWO and NVL because evidently the Lord said Shelby is still allowed to talk to me but not to you two, because you NVL are hard-hearted and you OTWO are evidently swine.

Shelby: You never directly answered my question, on this thread, or the last one. Did ALL the other people you know of who have heard the "voice" of Jaheshua, (or any of the other versions of it, you posted) first hear the name from you, before they heard Jaheshua's voice?

Another question: If it is OK to use those other variations that you posted and still have the Lord listen to you, why is not permissable to use the variation Jesus?

• Chalam
    Chalam

Philippians 2:9-11 (New International Version)

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name,
    10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
    11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father.

THE name is Jesus.

Blessings,

Stephen

• designs
    designs

hummm Stephen that's English, what happened to the Jewish guy with the Jewish name. Did he get digested by some Bishops along the way......

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

It is not the parent who owes the child honor, dear WB (peace to you!). To the contrary, the command was that the child should honor the father... and mother.

Oh hell yeah, an attempt to change analogy so you can answer a different question. If I, as a parent, required that my child show me honor by properly speaking my name before I would provide when when they are calling out in pain asking for help, I would be even MORE of a dick.

Is that how your Lord acts?

True, the parent is to LOVE the child; however, the parent is DUE honor... FIRST. That a child "needs" something may or may not be relevant... particularly if that child is hard-headed, hard-hearted, stiff-necked, disobedient, disrespectful... and reckless.

True that. I expect my newborn to give me honor before I feed it. Oh, wait, in order for the child to show me honor I have to reach out, care for it, show it love, teach it to speak, teach it the proper values and then I expect the honor and respect back, AFTER I have fulfilled my responsibilities.

Is that how your Lord acts? Apparently not, he requires honor before he will care for his children.

Which is the case with dear NVL. He is not a babe. He is a grown man who has wrecked his own life in more ways than one... and wishes to blame God.

Absolutely not. My life is not a "wreck" and I don't blame anyone. Still batting 0.000 on the details of my life.

• CandleLight
    CandleLight

Shelby,

You say your words to me are from my Lord. However he is unrecognizable in what you said. He does not speak to me in such a manner.

My Lord has been known and referred to by men, by the name Jesus, Imanuel, Yahshua, The Christ, messiah and others. I refer to him by a name that others can identify with. In this he finds no error.

To those who are searching for him. Believe in a God of love. That he sent us his son to show us this love. Pray to know him and he will allow himself to be found.

Love

CL

• designs
    designs

Candleight-

If God is Omnipresent how can he not be found, where would he hide....

• CandleLight
    CandleLight

Dear Designs,

He is not far off from us. Unfortunatly our 'eyes' can cause us to be blind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit