Child beating

by Quillsky 110 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Brotherdan,

I thank you very much, for not insinuating that I lack intellect, in child rearing just because I don't spare the rod.

I think you have shown your point of view without being judgemental or condesending. even if we don't agree

on everything , I wish more posters had your class

Child abuse is child abuse. We can call it "using a lil force on the lil childrens cute butt" just not to offend the offenser. Or we can just call it what it is. I used to spank my children when they were little. Because I had the ok of the bible. But when someone pointed to me the pointless use of force that was I stopped after I thought about it. Thanks to that blunt statement my kids avoided many spankings... I am sure they will be gratefull in the future.

Who cares about my feelings.... the children safety is the most important, I am an adult. I can handle it. i think.

However if I offended you, my apologies.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Yes my children are 12, and 13. Sometimes they need me to be firm. but most of the time they listen to what i tell them.

Believe me I am ashamed when I realize that when I spanked them and they were little I wasnt really teaching anything, the spanking was more for me to feel I was doing something.

I learned that ONE word with love will achieve way more than 100 slaps in the butt.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Cyberjesus,

I always did as my mom, she talked to us first, explained things, and gave warnings, after that if we chose to go agaisnt her wishes. It was on.

thats the way I trained my daughter, It wasn't beatings out of the blue, done out of malice of any kind.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

What I have seen is some parents throw whoopins and any kind of discipline out the window. They want to be their kids friend, they don't want to say no, they don't want their kids to hate them for not letting the little tikes do whatever they want. Manners go out the window, respect goes right along with manners. And then the parents wonder why the kids are little brats and uncontrolable (I've seen girls in my daughter's scout troop be terribly disrespectful to their mothers. One mother asked if I was having the same problem with my daughter and I said no and I don't. )

I love my kids but I am not their friend and they are not my equal. I have the responsilbilty to raise my children to adulthood, I'm raising adults and the respect goes both ways. I respect my children therefore I take care of my children and make sure they don't come to harm. My children respect me and do their best to follow my directions (I don't expect them to be perfect). At the same time I realize that I do not own my children (something my parents have never figured out) and I do my best to allow them to make their own mistakes and deal with the consequences up to a point that is reasonable with whatever age they are at.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Cyberjesus,

I have a twenty year old, and I am as proud of her as I can be, she is a well rounded adult, who works with at risk children at the YMCA, on top of that she has a full course load at college.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

That's awesome, wasblind! I hope my kids turn out like that! Good for her!

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

yes I really dont think parents just hit kids out of the blue. I think we do as best as we know. We used the tools given by our parents. Heck I believed in the WT just because thats what my parents taught me.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Josie says: "I love my kids but I am not their friend and they are not my equal "

Tell it Girl !!!!!

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    SBC: So a single pop to the rear constitutes a "beating" and "physical abuse"? That would mean I "beat" my wife occasionally when I walk into the kitchen and she's bent over getting something out of the fridge.
    CJ: What a logic in your statement. you spank your wife to show her how much you want her or love her not to point out her faults.

CJ, I was exaggerating to make the point that I think people need to be careful as to how they word things. Hitting someone who pisses you off is different from sitting down and talking to a child to explain what they did wrong, then popping them on the rear with an open hand, through clothes. I was using hyperbole to make that point.

If someone saw me pop my daughter on the rear when she was little and started telling others I was BEATING or PHYSICALLY ABUSING my child, we'd have a big problem. Child abuse is abhorrent to me. My frustration is when people don't differentiate between hitting, beating, and spanking. To me, those words are not interchangeable and imply very different temperaments. The parent's attitude while administering the discipline should always be considered.

Here's my beef: This thread started out suggesting people call 911 when they see kids being "beaten" at the hall. I asked for a definition of "beating". It was equated with as little as a "pop on the rear." So that sounds like the advice is to call the police if you see someone pop their child on the rear. I'm not arguing that beatings should be okay. I'm suggesting common sense as to how we label things.

My wife and I no longer feel spankings are the most effective means to punish our daughter but even when we did, we always explained WHY she was being disciplined. But after leaving the org, we did our own thinking and research and took on a new perspective, like BD's:

My qualm with spanking is that it teaches that hitting is ok when someone does something legitimately bad. It also is not the most effective way of training.

At this point, though, I do not automatically consider child-spankers to be child abusers. Like other things in life, it is not that black and white to me.

• wasblind
    wasblind

We may be their best friends in the sense that we will do more for them than any friend they will ever have,

but don't confuse your momma with your friend

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit