Child beating

by Quillsky 110 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• elderelite
    elderelite

ok wasblind now i'm confused... are you serious with the spank thing or what? cause i'm kinda slow sometimes...

• Libelle
    Libelle

One more chiming in for there is far more to discipline that spanking (which always makes a good kid- as far as it's advocates are concerned ) and not spanking (which means wild child). Discipline comes from the roots for "to teach" you can discipline without hitting, and miracle of miracles, that child can grow up to be a model citizen. And IMO violence only begets violence. (Unless of course it's between partners in the bedroom, of course, sometimes that begets more of the same too... heh, heh)

• wasblind
    wasblind

Your not a slow one EL, I have read your post, and gathered that from the start. I was asking about the spanking.

but CY explained it, to me sayin' that there was a difference, he said the woman asked for it, wanted it, so i would

not consider that abuse

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

It has been years since I have seen a kid spanked/beat at the KH. My husband and I were saying that you used to hear kids screaming not to be punsihed now nothing. I am for discipline and whether a time out, grounding or a spanking (NO beating) depneds on the kid. I personally do not think I could spank a child, I am a softy.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    SBC: My frustration is when people don't differentiate between hitting, beating, and spanking.
    CJ: Could you please tell me how do you define them and when do you think its the best to use either one of them?

The thrust of my comment was that you cannot use those words interchangably.

• If I saw you punch your child in the face with a closed fist, I would not call it a spanking, I'd call it a hit.
    • If I saw you strike them in that same manner repeatedly, I'd call it a beating not a spanking.
    To act like those words are all one and the same sounds intentionally deceptive, as if you want to blur the lines so you can paint all child-spankers as child-abusers. Why? As I already stated, I no longer choose to spank my daughter but I do not automatically judge all child-spankers as abusive either. That's just another false dichotomy and seems to say if you swat a child on the behind after a warning (ie, "Don't touch that! You'll burn yourself!") you're a child-abuser, no different than the ones who beat their kids bloody and lock them in the closet.

To me, there are MANY factors to consider before spanking a child, including but not limited to the attitude of the person delivering the discipline, the action that requires the discipline, the child's personality, age, etc... Abuse is never acceptable!

CJ, back when you used corporal punishment on your kids, did you "beat" them or "spank" them? And regardless of what you call it, do you agree that the police should've been called on you?

• elderelite
    elderelite

TY wasblind, i thought I got lost somewhere... LOL.. yes I would have to say spanking the wife is bad, slaping the wife is oh so good

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Here in Mississippi, some schools still dish out good, old-fashioned butt whippings. My gym teacher in elementary used a paddle with holes cut out of it. Why? When the paddle made contact with your bee-hind, it would suck your cheek meat into the holes, increasing the discomfort. It was a very effective tool for for changing attitudes. (I never saw anything that I would label a 'beating', however.)

The most recent federal statistics show that during the 2002-3 school year, more than 300,000 American schoolchildren were disciplined with corporal punishment, usually one or more blows with a thick wooden paddle. Sometimes holes were cut in the paddle to make the beating more painful. Of those students, 70 percent were in five Southern states: Texas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama and Arkansas.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/30/education/30punish.html

• elderelite
    elderelite

I was always told, leaving, that the holes were to allow it to move more quickly through the air..

• wasblind
    wasblind

That makes a lot of sense to me Sweets.

I need to stop using the word "Whoop" because that shows I didn't differentiate between the words hitting, beating and spanking, even though the actual punishment was a only spankings.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Elderelite,

scince this thread is about disipline, go stand in the corner, time out, you are a naughty boy, I can't have you around the others, cause bad association spoils useful habits.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit