Child beating

by Quillsky 110 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    SBC: To act like those words are all one and the same sounds intentionally deceptive, as if you want to blur the lines so you can paint all child-spankers as child-abusers. Why?
    CJ: No one is acting like those words mean the same.

You obviously haven't read the whole thread. At the beginning, it was unclear as to what some meant by the word "beating". Spanking was lumped in. That's the whole reason I said some people "don't differentiate between hitting, beating, and spanking." There is a difference.

CJ: I am not blurring the lines but I am stating that touching someone causing them pain with the purpose of "educate" is physical abuse.... that is not a judgement is a fact.

Bullshit. Now you're just stating your opinion as fact. Show me a reliable source where a non-injurious swat to the heine is considered abuse when administered as discipline. It is not black and white like you'd have everyone think. A swat on the butt is not factually classified as abuse.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/can/types/physicalabuse/

CJ: Doesnt matter what I use or where do I apply it. Do you see my point?

No, I don't, because I don't see it in black and white like you. You'd feel exactly the same if you see a parent punch a child in the face as when you see a parent swat their kid's bottom? Ridiculous. Thta's why you made that ugly presumptuous comment insinuating parents spank their kids on the behind to 'hide the abuse.' It's like you have some kind of agenda to villainize all parents who spank. What is your point in this whole discussion? If you're trying to encourage other forms of discipline and better parenting, great! But there seems to be a further agenda.

Do you know that if you spank me in the street and I put it on tape I can accuse you of "assault and battery"? noone has the right to touch me. being me 2 or 80.

No, your parents had the right to spank you when you were a toddler. As LWT said, paddlings are even allowed in some schools in the south to this day. My daughter's school still performs corporal punishment. We don't allow them to paddle our daughter but that doesn't change the fact that its allowed if the parent permits it. It's a parent's choice.

SBC: That's just another false dichotomy and seems to say if you swat a child on the behind after a warning (ie, "Don't touch that! You'll burn yourself!") you're a child-abuser, no different than the ones who beat their kids bloody and lock them in the closet.
    CJ: that is not judgment. I am not calling them good or bad. I am calling the "child spankers" beacause that describes what they do.

By your logic you're calling them child abusers. That is a judgment. In effect, if A = B and B = C, then A = C. Don't try to dilute it now. You refer to even the mildest swat on the rear as child abuse, therefore someone practices swatting must be what?

CJ: If that violates a personal right then I will call the action that. Dont confuse judging someones actions with someones character. No false dichotomy here.

No, that's exactly what it is. You see no shades of gray. You've been consistently leading us to believe that people who swat heines are child abusers just the same as the ones who beat their kid with a 2x4. According to you, it's all child abuse.

SBC: To me, there are MANY factors to consider before spanking a child, including but not limited to the attitude of the person delivering the discipline, the action that requires the discipline, the child's personality, age, etc... Abuse is never acceptable!
    CJ: so if I have a good attitude and you really require discipline its ok to spank you because you need it..... right? What is abuse? Maybe we should start by talking about that.

Look it up, chief. Google physical abuse. I even gave you a link above. What does wiki say about child abuse? Does it say spankings automatically constitute abuse? No.

CJ: Because for many people verbal abuse doesnt exist and for others just raising the voice is abuse. My point here is that children have the same rights that you and me have. They are just small and ignorant but very smart. Why should I need to spank a kid? Can I use a different method?

Of course you can. I'd recommend it. And that's what my wife and I do now. But that doesn't mean I should automatically label a parent who chooses to spank as a child abuser if he believes a particular circumstance calls for it.

SBC: back when you used corporal punishment on your kids, did you "beat" them or "spank" them? And regardless of what you call it, do you agree that the police should've been called on you?

You still didn't answer this one. So do you wish someone would've seen it and called the cops so your daughter could be taken away? Would you like to be known as someone who abused his child?

CJ: I only spanked my Daughther once. But however I believed it was ok to use it. She was 1. I spanked her on the butt. I was upset. right after I spanked her she continue crying but this time because I had caused her pain. I gave pain to my own child. I made her cry because she was crying. What did I achieve? nothing. I felt like a coward spanking my own because I didnt know how to take control of the situation in more civilized way. After that moment I never did it again.

Maybe if you spanked out of anger you should feel like a coward. Not every parent spanks in the same spirit you spanked. Maybe you should stop projecting your experience onto every other spanker.

CJ: There is no circumstance where physical punishment is needed. Think about it. If I need to use force on another individual it means I lost already my ability to use reason.

Perhaps your kids were better at logic and reasoning at the age of two than other two year olds. Time-outs and corners aren't always effective for every child in every case. Like I said, some parents may prefer to judge the situation based on all circumstances.

I'm not sure why we're still arguing. If you've read my posts, you know I choose other methods of discipline over spanking. To me there's no crime more despicable than a crime against a child. You've made your points about how you discipline and those points are totally reasonable. We employ a similar method. But something in your posts makes me feel like I need to defend my parents - good people - from those who stamp "child abuser" labels a bit too freely.

What do we need for a truce?

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Never mind.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Mad Dawg,

I am truly sorry that you had your skin tore open, and bled, that is not disipline, that is abuse

your beatings were done in anger, not in disipline. Yes, I believe in spanking when necessary

but like Sweets pointed out, there's a difference in hitting, beating, and spanking. Your were

beat unmerciful

• Quillsky
    Quillsky
    Children are the most abused minority.

So true this.

What I truly don't understand is why big people hit little people because they can.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Well Quillsky, I"ll tell you what

I'll bring "BEY BEY's" kids to your house, and leave 'em for a couple of days,

Trust , you'll change your tune

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

I don't know what "Bey Bey's" means. I'm sure it's a cultural reference outside of my personal frame of reference.

Why do adults continue to write on here that it's okay to hurt children? The only reason I can imagine is that they're trying to make their own abused childhoods okay.

• ramtrucker
    ramtrucker

I was the first child born to my parents of 5 children. My mother was 17 when I was born, in late November of 1940. Dad had just turned 25. Dad worked as a logger in Northeastern Oregon, near LaGrande. My spankings began the roughly two weeks after I was born. In those days a mother and her baby usually stayed in the hospital for several days. In my case it was 10 days. After leaving the hospital my mom stayed with her mother in town for a few more days.

My dad had cut a hole in the fence along the Grand Ronde River, built a platform for a 10' x 16' tent, installed a tin wood stove for heat and for cooking, and that was my home for the next two years. That first night when I came home, when mom got ready to put me to bed, my dad spanked me. He tells me this was because he figured once I'd gotten over the pain and shock, I'd settle down and go to sleep.

For the next roughly 18 years of my life, I was either spanked, whipped, beaten or all three on almost every day of my life. For example, around age 4, Dad became angry with my mother, turned her over his knee and began spanking her. I ran up to him, trying to grab his hand and stop his whipping my mother. He backhanded me across the room, and continued spanking her. I'm not sure why he spanked her, except to say she wasn't the best of cooks and had probably not cooked something to his liking.

On another occasion when I was 8 y.o.a or so, he had me helping him stack hay. He didn't like the way I handled the pitchfork, I probably weighed about 1/3rd the amount the twisted hay I was trying to stack, and he struck at me with his pitchfork. The tine went between my big toe and the next one. He then whipped me to make his point. (Pun intended).

Around that same time, he had me helping him sack coal that had been delivered to be used in our heating stove. I was having difficulty holding the sack open for him in the breeze, so he showed me his anger by whipping me. When we were finished sacking the coal, he had me put the shovel away that he was using. I leaned the shovel against the wall where such tools were usually kept, glanced at him and realized he wasn't happy with me for some reason. Thinking I'd placed it wrong, I turned the shovel around. Looked at him, and could still see the anger in his eyes. I decided to try placing the blade of the shovel against the wall with the handle pointing down. Again, looking at him I could see the displeasure. I tried once more, by turning the shovel around. At about that time, he grabbed the shovel from my hands and swung it at me, striking me on my right hip with it, knocking me down. I got up and limped to the house. I never did learn just what set him off, but realize that my fear of him, provoked the onset of his anger.

On another occasion, (when I was around 11 y.o.a), I was helping him at his part time job at a local bakery, which he cleaned three times a week. In those days paper was used to line the garbage cans. I was busy lining the trash can, when he swung a push broom at my head, striking me on top of the head and opening a gash about three inches long which bled profusely. Before that day was done, he'd also spanked me. By that time, 1951-52 he was studying with the witnesses.

Around the same age, we were getting ready to attend the fireworks show at Toppenish, WA on the July 4th. We had a few chores to do before leaving, which included watering some plants. I was rolling up the hose, glanced up and realized that he was angry with me for not rolling the hose up quite the same as he liked it to be taken care of. Before that chore was finished, he'd grabbed the hose from my hands and whipped it across the side of my head. The brass coupling caught me just above the ear. Another bloody gash.

Dad used his hand to spank me. He used switches cut from a handy tree. He even used a folded up piece of barbwire fencing on one occasion as his instrument of punishment. I have scars yet that were inflicted by him. Some of which I can't remember why, but they are reminders of his abuse.

The last time he struck me, occurred when I was nearing 18. He'd gotten an 80 gallon water heater to install in the basement of the old house we lived in. I was on the bottom backing down the stairs and somehow allowed the tank to get against the block wall that lined the stairway. The result was a scratch on the tank of about 6" in length. When we got the tank set down, and straightened up, he promptly struck me in the chest with his fist, knocking me across the room and to the floor. I gathered my wits, stood up and told him, warned him that I had finally had enough of his treatment. He asked me what I thought I might do about it, and I told him if he ever struck me again, one of us would die.

At that point, he dropped his raised fists and turned and walked away. Two weeks later I left home and have only been back for visits.

I might add that Dad broke my next younger sister's arm when he grew angry at her because she couldn't learn to tie her shoes. As the eldest child I know that as we grew, the abuse of my siblings was much less than the punishment meted out to me. I also was responsible for my younger sisters and brother's behavior and often I was punished for something they did, because I'd been charged with keeping them out of trouble while my parents did shopping, or went to a movie by themselves, etc.

In later years, Dad admitted that by today's standards he'd have spent years in prison for his abusive ways. He's going to be 95 this coming November, and while I love him, I have no respect for the man.

As to the comment made by someone prior to my joining this thread about abused children grow into abusive parents, I can only say that I spanked my son less than five times during his years growing up. And all of the spankings but one were done with my hand, applied to his bottom. I'm ashamed to say I did use my belt on him one time.

I believe I'm entitled to say because of living the life of an abused child/teenager that I know the difference between spanking, whipping, and beating. I should add that Dad wouldn't stop spanking me until I cried which often took up to 20 slaps on my rear before I'd break down and cry. I often wet my pants before I would cry, because of the pain. To this day my pain tolerance is high. I've had surgery on my knees, broken bones and have required very little pain medicine because of that high tolerance.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Yes quillsky,

Bey Bey's kid is an ethnic term for unruly kids, and you are right ,

it is your imagination, cause I was not an abused child. Ain't it

somethin' how your imagination can run away with you?

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Ramtrucker, thank you for your very moving story. I have tears in my eyes as I think about the younger you.

I truly hope our current generations are learning from the sins of our fathers.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Are JW parents still required to take their restless kids to the spanking room in the back of the kingdom hall?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit