New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures...

by Joliette 109 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Joliette
    Joliette

If I'm not mistaken, werent the committee of brothers who translated this bible: Nathan Knorr, Albert Scheoder, George Gangas, Fredrick Franz. Wasnt Fredrick Franz the only scholarly person (or somewhat scholarly) person who was 'somewhat qualified' to translate any type of biblical greek, hebrew, etc?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Freddy Franz was not qualified AT ALL to do ANY sort of translation work. Notice some excerpts from a court case that took place in Scottland in 1954:

Tuesday, 23rd November, 1954:
    Frederick William Franz, Examined:

Q.Have you also made yourself familiar with Hebrew?
    A.Yes....
    Q.So that you have a substantial linguistic apparatus at your command?
    A.Yes, for use in my biblical work.
    Q. I think you are able to read and follow the Bible in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Spanish, Portuguese, German, and French?
    A.Yes.
    Q. It is the case, is it not, that in 1950 there was prepared and issued what is called the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures?
    A. Yes....
    Q. I think that it was your duty, was it not, before the issue of that New World Translation by your Society to check that translation for accuracy?
    A. That is true.
    Q. In light of your studies and in light of your knowledge?
    A. That is true.
    Q. And did you do so?
    A. I did so....
    Q.And was it your duty on behalf of the Society to check the translation into English from the original Hebrew of that first volume of the Old Testament Scriptures?
    A. Yes....
    Q.In so far as translation of the Bible itself is undertaken, are you responsible for that?
    A.I have been authorised to examine a translation and determine its accuracy and recommend its acceptance in the form in which it is submitted.
    Q. Are the translators members of the Editorial Committee?
    A. That is a question which I, as a member of the Board of Directors, am not authorised to disclose....
    Q. When did you go to the University?....
    Q.Did you graduate?
    A.No, I did not....
    Q.Had you done any Hebrew in the course of your University work?
    A.No, I had not, but in the course of my editorial work, my special research work for the president of the Society, I found it was very necessary to have knowledge of Hebrew, and so I undertook a personal study of that.

ADJOURNED

Wednesday, 24th November, 1954:
    Frederick William Franz, Cross Continued:

Q.You, yourself, read and speak Hebrew, do you?
    A.I do not speak Hebrew.
    Q. You do not?
    A. No.
    Q.Can you, yourself, translate that into Hebrew?
    A. Which?
    Q. That fourth verse of the Second Chapter of Genesis? A. You mean here?
    Q. Yes?
    A.No, I won’t attempt to do that.
    Douglas Walsh Trial, Pursuer’s Proof, 1954, pp. 7-9, 88, 91-92, 102-103

This exercise which Franz was unable to do is something which the average first or second year Hebrew student could have accomplished without any difficulty. Is it any wonder the Society refuses to publicly reveal the people who were involved in the translation of their Bible? Would you put your trust in a doctor who refused to give his credentials? Yet, this is what many Jehovah’s Witnesses are doing when it comes to vital Bible truth.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Yeah, when I tell my parents that, they go back into people getting caught up with man and not really following what Jehovah's says...I know...it makes no sense brother dan.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

But MEN translated their Bible... The WTS is so tricky! You have to be impressed with how they've done the bait and switch thing.

"Don't look at us! We're not behind the organization! It's God!"

You can also show them that Franz pretty much perjured himself on the stand by saying that he had a working translators knowledge of Hebrew, yet when asked to prove it...he couldn't.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Yep, my parents would say, who is Fred Franz first and foremost, and why are you so worried about who translated the bible? This is the truth, and it shouldnt matter who translated our bible. Thats just a bunch of apostates saying that.

I cant consciencely hand someone a watchtower knowing this.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

That's why I stopped field service. But I'll still talk about the Bible to people! It's a very different message than the one I was taught by the WTS! But I will never again teach what I know now to be lies and inaccuracies. I also choose not to comment at meetings. I don't want to give the appearance of agreeing. Even though there are some things that I agree with (good attitudes, building up people, etc...) I can't answer with a clean conscience.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I cant consciencely hand someone a watchtower knowing this.

Good for you Joliette. Someone else told me the same thing--that it doesn't matter who translates or if some of the scriptures were changed. WTH??? If that's the case then we wouldn't be able to trust anything we ever read.

• Ding
    Ding

Answers:

1. The NWT differs from all other Bible translations on significant matters of doctrine.

Therefore, it's important to know the qualifications of the translators.

2. If the NWT is based on "translation" by unqualified people, what they produce is NOT the truth, even though they label their teachings as "the truth."

3. Fred Franz used to be president of the WTBTS, not some insignificant brother.

4. Franz himself, under oath, lied in a trial about his own understanding of Hebrew.

The transcript of that trial has been published.

This isn't apostate literature.

It's the testimony of Fred Franz himself under oath.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

The trial transcript is available online. However, it's VERY LONG. Snippets of it are available in CoC and In search of by Ray Franz. I've also got the document if anyone wants a copy and can't find it.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Thank you ding and Tatiana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit