New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures...

by Joliette 109 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ding
    Ding

Joliette,

I'm proud of you. You are doing some serious thinking.

I know it's scary when you find out that an authority figure in your life (such as the WTBTS) can't be trusted.

Mind telling us how old you are? If you don't want to disclose that, that's fine. Just wondering.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Hey Ding. I'm 27. Wish I would have realized what I realized when I was 17. How about you?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Franz himself, under oath, lied in a trial about his own understanding of Hebrew.

How?

This is what he said:

Q.Have you also made yourself familiar with Hebrew?
    A.Yes....
    Q.So that you have a substantial linguistic apparatus at your command?
    A.Yes, for use in my biblical work.
    Q. I think you are able to read and follow the Bible in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Spanish, Portuguese, German, and French?
    A.Yes.

So he stated that he is "familiar with Hebrew" and that he is "able to read and follow the Bible in Hebrew". Very well.

Then he was questioned:

Q.You, yourself, read and speak Hebrew, do you?
    A.I do not speak Hebrew.
    Q.You do not?
    A.No.

He pointed out that he did not "speak" Hebrew. This does not contradict his earlier statement. He tacitly affirms that he reads Hebrew but clarifies that he does not speak it. There is nothing about speaking Hebrew in the earlier statement, which only pertained to the reading of Hebrew. If one reads Hebrew, one is certainly "familiar with Hebrew".

Then he was asked:

Q. Can you, yourself, translate that into Hebrew?
    A. Which?
    Q. That fourth verse of the Second Chapter of Genesis? A. You mean here?
    Q. Yes?
    A. No, I won’t attempt to do that.

First of all, this is a refusal to perform an ad hoc translation on the stand, as opposed to stating that he was unable to do so if he tried. More importantly, this was a translation into Hebrew, not into English which is what was involved in his translation work and reading. Translating from English into Hebrew involves quite a different skill than translating into English, and it is much more difficult (particularly with a language that one does not speak fluently). This may well reflect a limitation in his Hebrew. But it is perfectly possible to produce a translation of Hebrew into English without knowing how to go into the other direction.

• Ding
    Ding

Joliette,

I'm way over 27.

I remember well the 1975 debacle.

JWs told me Armageddon was coming in 1975.

After 1975, one of them told me, "My service to Jehovah isn't tied to a date."

I said, "It sure was back in 1972, wasn't it?"

• Liberty93
    Liberty93

He was probably quite smart to avoid trying to translate it on the stand. ... Translators don't just crap out finished products that they publish. Any good translation takes time, and anyone who tried to translate something ad hoc like that would leave questionable areas in the translations, which the lawyers would tear apart.

Have any of y'all ever actually seen a good lawyer in action? They can trip up anyone more easily than you'd imagine.

• possible-san
    possible-san

I think that what Leolaia has said is completely correct.

For instance, I do not speak English at all.
    But I write (translate) here in English.

I translate it by "machine translation" and use a "Japanese-English dictionary" and some of "my English skill."
    (I try so that English grammar may be made correct as much as possible.)

But probably I cannot talk with Ms. Leolaia freely in English.
    I have to learn English more.

possible

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Johannes Greber.... Satanist ...involved in the channeled translations of a few very key verses in the NWT

Westcott & Hort...... Satanists involved with Theosophy and Ghost Society ....their "Revised" Version was the key source for the NWT

Look in the back of the All Scripture Inspired book and see how they admit Jesuits assisted in the translation also.... this is a mind control New World Order Cult my friends... there are your ties to the Vatican. Every cult needs its Cult Book and for the Watchtower it's the NWT. Only IT can support their "anointed remnant" bullshit.

Many verses were changed by Westcott & Hort to support a totalitarian New World Order. They should call it the New World Order Translation.

~PS

• TrueScript
    TrueScript

ProdigalSon,

Sounds like you've been reading around the internet too much. The Westcott and Hort text was the best available at the time. Today we have the NA/UBS texts, which are more accurate, but relatively similar to WH. Point being, the NWT did go the right way with WH, as did the NIV and NASB.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Maybe the WT needs new light. Maybe their next translation will be better.

Uh Oh...I've already heard rumors that they are working on one. But my mouth is shut.

• Ding
    Ding

They came up with the NWT to support their doctrines and avoid embarrassing questions, such as with John 1:1, John 8:58, Col. 1:16-17, Col. 2:9.

Since they change their doctrines every time they get "new light" it's surpising they don't come up with new "translations" every 5 years or so.

Then again, a lot of their doctrines deal with dates or blood transfusions or birthdays and many similar things that aren't mentioned in the Bible at all, so they don't need to make changes there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit