New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures...

by Joliette 109 Replies latest watchtower bible

• theMadJW
    theMadJW

Allel, as pointed out, the Name WAS in the OT scriptures quoted in the NT, which HAD no word for Jehovah/Yahweh.

THAT is why the first Septugiants had it written in Hebrew text .

Since it EXISTS in ENGLISH, we put it back.

Think the Christians writing the NT REMOVED the very Name Jesus taught them to HONOR?

We don't. There simply wasn't a Greek equivalent, yet- that came later.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Hey Bud(MadJW) .... check out Ladylee Pm

I'm bad like you............

I guess I was bad..............

playing (online) drinking or smoking I got spanked!!!!!!!!!!

I'm bad.........

No witnesses just our thread..... pooof GONE!!!!!

very offensive..... I only have 7 posts left.....

I have been posting like a mad man!

If I don't see you again

Love be with you Darth!!!!

• Ding
    Ding

Mad,

The apostles were all Jews, so they would have known how to incorporate the Hebrew tetragrammaton into their writings, just as the LXX writers did in their Greek rendering of the OT.

Why didn't they?

Evidently, it wasn't that important to them.

If you're saying that they did do this, then why is there no NT manuscript in which it appears?

• TrueScript
    TrueScript

MadJW,

The point is, at the end of the day, we don't know for a certainty that the name appeared in the NT manuscripts, and even if it did we don't know exactly where it appeared in those texts. This is especially true with instances where such passages might be applied to Jesus. Therefore, we have no business messing with the sacred texts to add them. I believe that if God was so greatly concerned over the matter he could have kept it in.

TS

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

Also, it is all very interesting theological debate but at the end of the day this shouldn't detract from leading a good principled Christian life. We all know what is right or wrong.

I always notice how rude some JWs are. There is no need, Christians should remain polite at all times. People are far more likely to listen to a polite, succinct person than someone who raves on incoherently.

Arguing over how many times a word has been removed or added to a bible does not stop someone being a Christian. In fact, quite the opposite.

Be far better to use the time and energy sorting out the paedophiles.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Welcome TrueScript!

Maybe you can help with the answer?

Can you tell me where the NWT gets the words "active" and "force" from? I can't see either in the Hebrew? http://biblos.com/genesis/1-2.htm

Blessings,

Stephen

• theMadJW
    theMadJW

Ding- they likely DID- all we have are later copies.

They and Christ KNEW God's Name- as do you & I.

To pretend it doesn't belong there because of translators, Judiasm, and the Koine Greek is wrong.

DP- agape! LL has a Baptist attitude, and I couldn't care less @ a PM from her: banning me will HELP me in may ways- I can't resist a good argument!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They and Christ KNEW God's Name- as do you & I.

If you knew God's name and honored it then you would oppose the use of the fictional name "Jehovah" in the NWT.

• theMadJW
    theMadJW

Ahhh, MS- I take it you're referring to CHURCHianity's Name Game?

• Ding
    Ding

Mad,

The NT writers likely DID use the tetragrammaton in their writings and all appearances of it were excisedby later scribes?

How is it that not one manuscript has survived that contains it even once in the NT?

And how then can we trust the NT documents at all?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit