What prayers does God answer?

by jwfacts 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

PS - I mean, I would do anythign to take away the pain when they are sick

That is a good point, and directs the topic into the area of why God permits wickedness. Why doesn't God remove pain when a person prays?Christians still find pain relievers more effective than prayer.

"Please remove the blisters from my feet that developed whilst I was preaching your word" - doesn't have any affect though I can see no reason why God should hold out on answering such a prayer.

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate
    That is a good point, and directs the topic into the area of why God permits wickedness. Why doesn't God remove pain when a person prays?Christians still find pain relievers more effective than prayer.
    "Please remove the blisters from my feet that developed whilst I was preaching your word" - doesn't have any affect though I can see no reason why God should hold out on answering such a prayer.

Well said JW... seems quite illogical when you view it that way.

• Ding
    Ding

SweetBabyCheezits,

You said you wouldn't just grant your children's requests when it fit into your grand plan.

On the other hand, children often don't understand why parents say no so often to what seem to them to be great ideas...

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Ding - On the other hand, children often don't understand why parents say no so often to what seem to them to be great ideas...

The difference is, that as a parent, I explain it to my child. When my 2 1/2 year old wants to cross the road, I explain why he cannot without holding my hand, as there is a danger from cars.

God on the otherhand has been quite silent on his reasons. The whole wickedness question is left up in the air. There are allusions to it, such as in Job, but these are so vague that religions cannot even agree on what the meaning is. If I pray, "why does my cousin have hydroencephalitis and why can't God take away the pain", I am not going to get an answer directly from God (even though he could speak to me if he so chose) and when I consult various holy books or holy men, the reasons they give will not even align with each other.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    You said you wouldn't just grant your children's requests when it fit into your grand plan.
    On the other hand, children often don't understand why parents say no so often to what seem to them to be great ideas...

You're right about that. But my daughter never has to question whether I'm fulfilling or refusing a request. If I agree to help her with her homework, my actions are never so vague that the completion of it might just as well be attributed to her own positive attitude.

Again, assuming there is a god answering petitions, I'd like to know how the world would be any different if that were not the case.

With so many bamboozlers out there, why can't god make himself known without faith being part of the equation? Why must I leave logic and reason on the sideline to gain his approval? And if I were to disavow critical thinking and board the first Christian ship to everlasting glory, how can I be sure I'm not being bamboozled?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Ditto, JWfacts.

• Ding
    Ding

I agree, friends.

I wish God explained a whole lot more than He does.

At least I think I do.

In the Bible, God offers far more promises than explanations.

The book of Habakkuk is one of the best examples of that.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So what does God choose to answer?

God answers the prayers that would have been answered without His involvement.

If someone prays for help finding employment and diligently submits his resume and goes on interviews and uses the proper channels to find a job, God will probably answer his prayer.

If a pregnant woman takes her prenatal vitamins and sees her obstatrician regularly and carefully watches her diet and intake, and prays for a healthy baby, she may just get an answer to her prayer unless God decided not to interfere with 'time and unforeseen occurance.'

If some religious congregation has members that can afford to put enough money in the basket, their prayers to care for the financial needs of the congregation will be answered regardless of which belief system they have.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

You won't find the answer to this in the bible, not spelled out in so many words. Wish that it were.

The answers we do find are not accepteable to us, why?

Well to be honest, it seems that because most of us CAN invision a world without pain and wickedness so we question why God doesn't make it so, since he promised that.

• juci32
    juci32

OMG PCSacramento... beautiful post! That is exactly how I feel.

It's tripped out.. My hubby is a zealous Witness and has been unemployed for almost a year.. he prays everyday for work and guess what? Nothing. I want to ask him so bad, why is God not answering his prayer? Does God not want a man to provide for his family? I just don't understand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit