• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Oh lord won't you buy me a color tv

dialing for dollars is trying to find me

I wait for delivery each day until 3:00

so oh lord won't you buy me a color tv.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

I have kids. I can't imagine granting my kids' specific requests ONLY when it fits into my grand plan. Plus, if he's going to make sure his will is accomplished anyway, what difference does prayer make?

If I was religious, I could see praying to give god thanks but not to petition.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I have kids. I can't imagine granting my kids' specific requests ONLY when it fits into my grand plan

You sure about that?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    PSAC: I notice that when God is in US, yes, they are answered, but when God is not in us, they are not, so I realised that, as much as God can do things for US, he doesn't do the things WE can do or fix the thinsg we can fix, but that, if we allow it, God gives us all the strength we need.

I find it interesting that god is unwilling or unable to grant anything measurable.

Have any of you folks who pray tried the PowerBalance bracelets?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I find it interesting that god is unwilling or unable to grant anything measurable.

Not sure what you mean...

Measurable? in what way?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    I have kids. I can't imagine granting my kids' specific requests ONLY when it fits into my grand plan
    You sure about that?

Yup.

EDIT: I'm not saying I grant them everything they ask for but I accede to many things that are not in harmony with my to-do list. For example, yesterday I had some work I really needed to get done but my daughter wanted me to go outside and play. Her wish could be considered selfish. Should I have refused?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Measurable? in what way?

Using the scientific method, ie double blind experimentation.

I'm not discrediting the effect that prayer has on you emotionally but for someone to "feel" the strength or encouragement to cope with a situation is not verifiable, measurable evidence.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Yup.

You give your kids ANYTHING they ask you for anytime time they ask you for it, or do you decide that based on what you think is best for them?

( I am not saying God does this, just wondering about your post, that's all).

Using the scientific method, ie double blind experimentation.

I'm not discrediting the effect that prayer has on you emotionally but for someone to "feel" the strength or encouragement to cope with a situation is not verifiable, measurable evidenc
    e

AH, Understood.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Psac, I thought using the term ONLY in all caps would prevent a misunderstanding. I edited my Yup comment to clarify further.

EDIT: I'm not saying I grant them everything they ask for but I accede to many things that are not in harmony with my to-do list. For example, yesterday I had some work I really needed to get done but my daughter wanted me to go outside and play. Her wish could be considered selfish. Should I have refused?
  • PSacramento
    PSacramento

Thanks for clearing that up SBC :)

It is hard, as a father of two, to think what I would NOT do for my kids if they really needed me, I mean, I woould do anythign to take away the pain when they are sick and I can't imagine how I would feel if my children were crying from hunger and I had no food to give them, like so many people who are in that situation.

I don't know what things are the way they are and why we don't do more to change them, because we must certainly can.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit