If Christ was Divine, How Could He Have Been Tempted?

by leavingwt 141 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Whether you believe that Jesus is God or not, Jesus of Nazareth was a man - experiencing all the suffering that we do ourselves. But his faith in his Father was perfect.

Tammy

• snowbird
    snowbird

I believe He was a perfect human - but human, nonetheless - with divine power at His disposal.

He certainly was no ordinary human!

Syl

• Ding
    Ding

Leavingwt,

I sense you are saying that if Jesus was divine, his temptation wasn't real, the he really couldn't have been tempted.

I agree with you that the Bible teaches that his temptation was real.

Philippians 2 tells us that when Jesus was born as a human he emptied himself and took upon himself the very nature of a servant. I take that to mean he didn't rely on his divine nature.

When Hebrews 2:17 says Jesus had to be like his brothers in every respect, the context also makes clear the he was sinless, which means he did not inherit the sinful nature from Adam that the rest of us did.

As I said, he faced temptation as a man living in total reliance on the Father to do good works through him and so can we. John 14:10-12. However, I believe the Scriptures teach that we must first be reborn spiritually and we must choose to walk in the spirit rather than after the flesh (the flesh being all that we are in and of ourselves without a spiritual rebirth).

• cantleave
    cantleave

Still doesn't make sense to me.

• snowbird
    snowbird

1 Timothy 3:16( KJV) And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory

That's ok, Can'tLeave.

Syl

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Give me a Bucket of KFC Chicken and 10 minutes with Jesus..

Theres no way Jesus won`t be tempted by a Bucket of KFC Chicken..

http://livingyourpassion.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/kfc-bucket-of-chicken.gif?w=257&h=285http://spiritlessons.com/Documents/Jesus_Pictures/Jesus_200.JPG

.............................. ...OUTLAW

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Maybe you expect too much out of divine,

Divine could mean related to God or Holy it doesnt necessarily mean he cant screw up.

Look at the biblical God, He has one screw up after another starting in the garden of Eden, then the flood where

he screwed up so bad that he decided to start over.

God screwed up when he told Brooklyn armegeddon was going to come in 75.

Having said all that, its still his ball of wax, life here is still his game and he makes the rules

To enter his peace, to get out of jail and make it around the board you have to go by his rules.

And the first rule that I see is you have to bow down before Jesus and accept him as your savior.

I'm not sure if theres any other rules after that or not.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Divine could mean related to God or Holy it doesnt necessarily mean he cant screw up.

Was his treatment of his parents "perfect" or was there some disrespect?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Of course it was disrespectful but he's the boss. Didnt you ever have a boss?

The better the job, the more money you make the more respect and leeway you give the boss.

If you work for yourself and are independent you dont have to deal with bosses.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Of course it was disrespectful but he's the boss. Didnt you ever have a boss?

Yeah, he was the boss. I was just thinking of the Mosaic Law and his obligation to his parents, in that context.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit