If Christ was Divine, How Could He Have Been Tempted?

by leavingwt 141 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I would respectfullly disagree with AGuest's view that Jesus was not divine at the same time he was human. John 1:1, 14; Col. 2:9; Heb. 1:1-8; Titus 2:13. I believe that the Bible teaches that he was both divine and human. It was as a man that he was killed. His divine nature did not die.

May you all have peace! Golly, so much here! If only we'd stop looking to the Law, the Bible, what man thinks/teaches... and look to Christ himself.

I'd like to address Ding's (peace to you, dear one!) disagreement and understanding of "divine" nature, first, if you all will permit me. The divine nature does not die... nor does our spirit. When we die, our FLESH dies... but our spirits do not. They simply sleep (unless they have been destroyed, by fire), until they are resurrected... either to life... or to judgment (and destruction). So, regardless of the spirit that was IN him, whether his own and/or God's, such spirit (for him, divine) would not have died.

We, too, those of us who belong to God by means of Christ, can also have "divine" nature within us because our flesh is merely a vessel... one which houses our OWN spirit... but may also house God's. (John 14:23; Acts 2:4; Romans 8:9, 10). That is what Israel saw "reflected" on Moses' face. But having such spirit dwell IN us... does not make US "divine." It simply means that we are a TEMPLE of the "divine."

Which is what occurred with our Lord, as well: HIS own spirit dwelled in his vessel of flesh... as WELL as that of the Most Holy One of Israel. But that did not make him God... or "divine." That "divinity" us the GLORY of God... His "GodNESS." That Christ's own spirit AS WELL AS God's spirit... existed in him... and that the two were/are NOT the same is evidenced by what occurred with HIM (and not Paul)... and was said by HIM (and not Paul):

• 1. That spirit "coming down upon him" when he came up from the Jordan. Had it been in him prior to, there would have been no need for it to "come down";

• 2. My Lord's words TO the Father, "Father, glorify me with the glory that I HAD... alongside you before the founding of the world...". He wanted BACK what he had given up to come here. He did not bring it with him;

• 3. My Lord's words TO the Father, "Father, if YOU wish, remove this cup from ME; yet, not MY will... but YOURS". By this statement, he acknowledged that HIS will was not necessarily the same as the FATHER's will...

• 4. "Eli, Eli, lama sabacthani?" or "My God, My God... why have YOU forsaken ME?"

You quoted Colossians 2:9, and that was fine; however, you stopped short of 2:10 and had you read that you might have seen even more, including that the verses aren't accurately transliterated, so the confusion is understandable. Verse 9, TRUTHFULLY stated:

"... because it is in him that all the fullness of the [Deity] dwells bodily."

This does not mean that he IS God; it means that the spirit of God... the Godness... dwelled in my Lord's body. But that same Godness... can dwell in US. Thus, verse 10 states:

"And so YOU are possessed of the fullness by means of him, who is the head of all government and authority."

That Godness, however, was not with him when he was tempted... and when he was put to death. The "hedge" was "removed"... so that he could BE tempted... and so that he could prove HIS loyalty and integrity in the end. Had it, the "deity" been present, the Adversary would have rejected the reply.

I am surprised at those who use Hebrews 1:1-8 to prove the position that Christ is God, when those very verses state that he is a "representation," a "son," an "heir," that he "inherited," etc.

My Lord is the IMAGE of God. An image... is a reflection, a copy, a facsimile... OF the real... but is NOT the real thing itself. In the case of my Lord, he is the MIRROR that we must look INTO... in order to see God. Prior to him, the LAW was that "mirror", which is why Moses reflected the GLORY of God... after receiving the Law.

Finally, the verse Titus 2:13, is an error of the scribes. How do we know? Well, we can always ask, of course. Failing that, however, we can look at what the verse literally states and try to understand what it's speaking of. According to the KJV, that verse states:

"... while we wait for the blessed hope-the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, [Jesus] Christ..."

The Greek from which it was transliterated states:

"... looking for the blessed hope and appearing of the glory of our Great God and Savior Christ [Jesus]."

What "glory" was Paul (?) speaking of? Christ is recorded to say:

"... they will see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he will send forth his angels with a great trumpet sound, and they will gather his chosen ones together from the four winds, from one extremity of the heavens to their other extremity. "Now learn from the fig tree as an illustration this point: Just as soon as its young branch grows tender and it puts forth leaves, YOU know that summer is near. Likewise also YOU, when YOU see all these things, know that he is near at the doors. Truly I say to YOU that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away. Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father."

What we all must keep in mind is that, in addition to the FACT that scribes HAVE tampered with not only the scriptures, but the entire Bible and other related writings, we are WRONG to assume that all of the 1 st century writers believed accurately. They did not and we have accounts to show, including Paul. Paul taught things that DIRECTLY OPPOSED what Christ taught... and it caused divisions. So, we have to be CAREFUL when reading Paul, from the get go, as well as when reading ANYTHING written in the Bible due to the "false stylus" of the scribes.

So, what is the BEST way to know whether what is written it TRUE or not? Dear ones... GO TO THE SOURCE! The very book that so many of you put your faith IN... says:

"This is my Son, the Beloved. Listen to HIM."

"Come to ME."

"You are searching the scriptures... yet, you do not want to come to ME."

"God's Word... is ALIVE!"

"... the anointing that YOU received from him remains in YOU, and YOU do not need anyone to be teaching YOU; but, as the anointing from him is teaching YOU about all things, and is true and is no lie..."

and...

"Look! I am WITH you... ALL the days...!"

And SO much more! Truly, HOW can you say you have faith in a book that you don't even heed the words of?? If you can't put faith in Christ, that he IS alive and speaks, shouldn't you at least put faith in what the book you claim to be the authority itself states that HE... and GOD... said... so much so over what it states others said?

ARE we to judge? According to Paul, yes. According to Christ, no. IS he God? According to Paul, yes. According to Christ, no. Whom do YOU follow?

There is a REASON why my Lord referred to himself... as "the Son... of MAN."

I bid you all peace, and ears to hear when the Spirit and the Bride say to YOU:

"Come! Take 'life's water'... FREE!"

A slave of Christ, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit, and by means of him, of the God, the MOST Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies,

SA

• Chalam
    Chalam

Here you go LWT, try this for size :)

Jesus Without Sin

Also these How Human Was Jesus?, Jesus Is Man, Jesus Is God

Blessings,

Stephen

• moshe
    moshe
    Why would it not make sense that, "God would allow paradoxes to happen,"

Luke 22:21-22 (New International Version)

21-But the hand of him who is going to betray me is with mine on the table. 22-The Son of Man will go as it has been decreed, but woe to that man who betrays him."

Jesus knew Judas would betray him, yet if Judas didn't betray him, then Jesus couldn't fulfill his alleged mission to be sacrificed, as the lamb that saves the world, so actually, Judas was doing God's will, which means he should be blessed not cursed. If we follow this example to it's logical conclusion, it means that, if you follow God's spiritual direction, do His will,in the end you can be damned for doing what God told you to do!!!!! Which is a contradiction as the Bible says, God is Truth and He is a God of Love, which should mean that God could have found a way to sacrifice Jesus that didn't require Judas to betray Jesus, which ultimately led to him hanging himself in an act of suicide.

So, if God allows paradoxes in his worship of Him, it means that Man can never know what God wants him to do, or understand what God really means. Adam and Eve must have figured that out when they didn't die on the day they ate of the fruit from the tree of knowledge, which is what Satan said all along, wasn't it?

• awaken2004
    awaken2004

leavingwt and moshe: These are questions I've pondered since I was 12 years old. And I still got baptized at 13!

I also wondered why Adam and Eve had to die with no hope of a resurection. How can god blame them for failing his test? They were supossed to believe blindly whatever God said? As kids we tested our parents always doing what they told us not to do. That is how children grow and learn. Our parents never stopped loving us or gave up on us.

I know this point has been made before but couldn't it be argued that god's creation (Adam & Eve) was faulty? Why shouldn't they be forgiven for their sins?

I admit that the bible has a lot of practical advice for day to day living but many, if not all, stories can be blown out of the water with a little bit of critical thinking.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

What makes you think that Adam and Eve have no hope of ressurection?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    What makes you think that Adam and Eve have no hope of ressurection?

PSac: The WT teaches that they won't get a resurrection.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    The WT teaches that they won't get a resurrection.

Jewish tradition teaches otherwise.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Bible-Studies-1654/Adam-Burial-place.htm

Syl

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Jewish tradition

WT could use a good dose of Jewish tradition. This would eliminate the deaths caused by their blood dogma.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    I also wondered why Adam and Eve had to die with no hope of a resurection.

There will be a resurrection of the righteous... and the unrighteous, dear Awaken 2004 (peace to you!). Since Adam and Eve would most probably be counted among the unrighteous (although, we cannot say that, can we... because God shows mercy to whomever He wishes and they were allowed to be parents to Abel... and Seth, so...). Either way, they should be part of a resurrection. A resurrection to what (life or judgment) is the real question.

How can god blame them for failing his test?

God did not test them, dear one. He simply tried to warn them: "Eat everything you wish to, except that. You will die if you eat that." Nothing more than any father would say to a child when, say, out camping ("Eat the blueberries, Jimmy, luv, but DON'T eat the berries from that red bush there because they WILL make you sick and you WILL die...").

It was THEY who tested HIM: He warned them and they didn't believe the warning after someone else got to them thinking that perhaps it was bogus. Unfortunately for them, God was right and their Tempter (well, Eve's) proved a liar.

They were supossed to believe blindly whatever God said?

Absolutely! Their lives depended on it!

As kids we tested our parents always doing what they told us not to do.

Don't know what kind of parents YOU had, but MINE didn't go for that kind of stuff. Wasn't no, "No, I don't wanna do that," or "Well, I don't care what YOU say, I'm gonna do it anyway." Not in MY house, at least, or anyone's that I knew. And probably a good thing, in light of your next statement.

That is how children grow and learn.

In some instances, yes. In others, however, that's how some children die. Very sad... but very true. In fact, most kids who die in an untimely manner (and by that I mean, not due to illness or accident caused by another) did so as a result of NOT listening to their parents (abducted after talking to a stranger, running away from home, using drugs/alcohol, hanging out with the wrong "types," stealing vehicles, joy riding, committing crimes, and more). Not all, true. But most

Our parents never stopped loving us or gave up on us.

Us, who, dear one? Are there not MANY... even some HERE... who "disobeyed" their parents and turned away from/left the WTBTS? Did not those parents stop loving such ones, indeed TOTALLY give up on them? Isn't there a post here about a woman who did that very thing just recently?

But be that as it may, the Most Holy One of Israel did not stop loving or give up on Adam and/or Eve. They did not die immediately, but were able to live out long... indeed, very long... lives. What they were NOT allowed to do... was live forever. Which is understandable, as they hadn't shown themselves responsible enough to for the few years they already had. They were given only one restriction... ONE (what kid do YOU know only gets one restriction?)... which was for their own benefit... and they couldn't even fulfill that. Indeed, the man was even willing to give up his entire progeny in exchange for what he THOUGHT he would achieve! Why in the world would He let them have full range after that? They were willing to risk their own lives and give up that of their progeny. Are we supposed to think they wouldn't have sold out the whole WORLD? They would have, dear one. And so they had to go make it on their own. Just like any other kid who can't respect the rules of his father's house.

But in sending them out on their own, the Most Holy One of Israel did NOT stop loving them... or give up on them.

I know this point has been made before but couldn't it be argued that god's creation (Adam & Eve) was faulty?

If you call children that were created with the capacity to make their own decisions "faulty," then the answer would be, yes. Personally, I would think that making them without such capacity would constitute them as "faulty." In this case, however, neither Adam NOR Eve was faulty: their DECISION was faulty. Much like today - our aren't anymore "faulty" than we are; however, the decision of BOTH... are sometimes VERY faulty.

Why shouldn't they be forgiven for their sins?

Who, dear one, besides the WTBTS (and what the heck do THEY know, said they wouldn't be forgiven? We don't know WHAT the Most Holy One of Israel will do with regard to Adam and Eve. And so it isn't upon us to speculate. Again, the Most Holy One of Israel shows mercy to whomever He wishes.

I admit that the bible has a lot of practical advice for day to day living but many, if not all, stories can be blown out of the water with a little bit of critical thinking.

Okaaayyyy??? Unfortunately, a lot those who pride themselves as "critical thinkers" don't even think critically when it comes to what's in the Bible. I am glad to see you're not one of them! A good rule of thumb when it comes to the Bible is "believe half of what you see (with your eyes, when you read)... and none of what you hear (as to what people will SAY it says or means)". Rather, to see FULLY and hear COMPLETELY... simply go to the Source: the One you want to know about. Ask Him... by asking His Son.

Again, PEACE to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• moshe
    moshe
    Okaaayyyy??? Unfortunately, a lot those who pride themselves as "critical thinkers" don't even think critically when it comes to what's in the Bible.

AGuest, bravo, spoken like a true believer. You remind me of the JWs I asked at a Red Lobster restaurant, "What's an Oxymoron?" No it wasn't- jumbo shrimp cocktail, It's, "Jehovah's Witness Truth", I told them. The smile went right off their face. Pick your poison- the story ends the same, when it comes to religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit