If Christ was Divine, How Could He Have Been Tempted?

by leavingwt 141 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Could you quote a scripture for me that says Jesus was omnipotent? Thanks.

^ Col 1:15-17:He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

-Sab

• Gregor
    Gregor

But then this goes into the whole idea that nothing exists without God, so that means he invented sin because he invented the idea of what constitutes a sin.

Quit hoggin that doob! Pass it over here...

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

Where in that scripture does it say that Jesus is all powerful?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

No doobs needed for that Gregor, just common sense.

It's like me saying "I've made the perfect car. Except sometimes when i put it into the highest gear the car stalls out and then I crash."

• lovelylil2
    lovelylil2

Ding,

Many people wonder how Jesus could be tempted if he is God, because they believe God cannot be tempted. The common scriptural text given in support of this view is this one;

James 1:13, "Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone." Thus some wonder, How can Jesus be GOD if God cannot be tempted?

However, notice that this verse does not say the God cannot be tempted but rather it says that “he cannot be tempted by evil”- that is the point of James thought, God does not tempt us with evil (to sin) nor can He be tempted by evil and sin.

We know from the biblical accounts that Jesus was tempted at all points (Heb.4:15), meaning Jesus was tempted at all points as mentioned in 1 Jn.2:16- the world—1) the lust of the flesh, 2) the lust of the eyes, and 3) the pride of life (1 Jn.2:16). He was tempted directly by the Devil to do evil by disobeying god and coveting the kingdom. Even Satan the most power creature was unable to tempt Jesus to do sin or evil (Mt.4).

The difference between Jesus temptation and that of simply man is that temptations often instigate a response from the sin nature in man, but Jesus had no sin nature.

2 Corinthians 5:20-21: “For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.”

1 Peter 2:21-22: “For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps: "Who committed no sin” Nor was deceit found in His mouth";

1 John 3:5-6: “And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.”

So you can see, jesus was tempted and could be tempted although he being in the divine nature (he was fully man and fully God), but could not commit evil or sin because unlike a man, he had no sinful nature.
    SIN.

Hope this helps, Peace Lilly

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Where in that scripture does it say that Jesus is all powerful?

Huh?

-Sab

• Ding
    Ding

Regarding Jesus' omnipotence, there's Hebrews 1:3 The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word.

Of course, if John 1:1 is properly translated "... and the Word was God," that covers it.

• whereami
    whereami

Hmmm.... let me see.

Cures lepers- check

Walks on water - check

Turns water into wine- check

Feeds thousands with some bread and fish- check

Brings someone back to life- check

Comes back from the dead 3 days later- check

Yep, he's a "MERE" mortal alright, my ASS!!!!

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

It must be clear by now that Jesus is what ever you want him to be. He is limited only by our imagination.

He can be stretched and twisted. Turned inside out and outside in. Shrunk or expanded. Fly or walk , even on water. Be divine or human, even both at once.

He can be invisible or visible. God almighty or just God's son. King or priest. The man in sandals or a warrior on a white horse. He can be tempted and beyond temptation all at once.

He can dish out punishment or gifts. Trick or treat. Miracles are his speciality. He doesnt care whether you call him Lord, Jesus, Jehovah, Christ, God or just plain Michael. What a guy!

I wish that when I was a kid, I'd had a toy like that. All I had was plasticine.

• Gregor
    Gregor

A perfect man? Cleavage would work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit