If Christ was Divine, How Could He Have Been Tempted?

by leavingwt 141 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Was he tempted?No. Did Satan try to tempt him? Yes.

This is a simple answer to my original question. Thank you.

Was Eve tempted?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Was he tempted? No. Did Satan try to tempt him? Yes.

I think it is better to say:

His human nature was tempted.

But his human nature was subjected to his divine nature.

BTS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Was Eve tempted?

Yes, as was Adam and they failed, but it's not the same thing is it? how can it be?

Satan tempted Eve and Adam with the promise of being what Jesus ALREADY was, a temptation for them, yes, but not for Jesus.

It seems that Satan had no clue what he was dealing with, maybe he had a suspicion of sme sort about Jesus, but Idon't think he knew exactly was he was delaing with.

He tried to tempt Jesus without realizing that Jesus was ALL the Satan WANTED to be, he didn't know that Jesus was THE ONE that created him, How could he?

Satan's own fall from grace blinded him to the truth untill the trth was revealed to him also.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Was Eve tempted?

Supposedly not only tempted, but also deceived. Adam, of course, being the man - was not deceived. But ate it anyway, to be with Eve.

Another legend which really puts question to the the JW notion that Jesus was equivalent to the pre-sinner Adam.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I think it is better to say:
    His human nature was tempted.
    But his human nature was subjected to his divine nature.
    BTS

Well...see...I don't think he was tempted in the truest sense of the word, for Jesus to have been tempted it would mean that there was a possibility or that jesus contemplated the possibility of Satan's offers.

And Jesus didn't so I don't think he was tempted, though there was most definetly an attempted temptation on the part of Satan.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Anyone that desires a full consideration of the subject should read a little Thomas Aquinas:

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/4041.htm

BTS

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Supposedly not only tempted, but also deceived. Adam, of course, being the man - was not deceived. But ate it anyway, to be with Eve.

The power of the punany bro, we have all felt it !
    ;)

• JWoods
    JWoods
    The power of the punany bro, we have all felt it !
    ;)

But, presumably not Jesus - which was my point about the WT idea being wrong - that he was like pre-sin Adam...

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

This is fascinating stuff PSacramento Is it found in a part of the bible that you do accept as inspired of God, or was it revealed to you by Jesus himself? Or do you make it up as you are borne along?

It's not my intention to be impolite. But you have to see how your statements appear to simple people like me who see Jesus as an historical figure who had a message for the Jews 2000 years ago.

To preach with such certainty and make so much out of so little, requires a source of reliable, even infallible, information. I am still unsure what your source is. The more I read the more confused I become.

• tec
    tec

It seems that Satan had no clue what he was dealing with, maybe he had a suspicion of sme sort about Jesus, but Idon't think he knew exactly was he was delaing with.

It only seems that way if you believe in the trinity; or that Jesus was God incarnate. Not saying that this is wrong (even though it is my belief that it is wrong, or rather, somewhat misunderstood).

I also don't think Jesus felt tempted, but not because he could not have been tempted... but because his perfect faith in his Father kept him from temptation. Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit